1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is he much better than Danuel House?

That's pretty important, to be fair, he should be.

I would call it more misguided than being arrogant.... who knows?

#861 daywalker02, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The whole point of having an average is so you know how a player plays during a typical game.

If Capela was outplaying players multiple times then why is his playoff average so low? FYI Gobert has a playoff average of 12 and 8 if he gets routinely outplayed by Capela how come Capela has 8 and 7?

A player's playoff stats tend to be lower than regular season stats but it doesnt decrease by 40%. What I know is Capela's 8 and 7 average during the playoff means he doesnt routinely outplay Gobert's 12 and 10.

3. malakas

malakas Member

The reason Utah only got 2 2nd rounders for Favors was because for the last few years he was burried and couldn't co-exist with Gobert.
    If Utah had traded Favors a couple years prior instead of letting his value plummet they would have gotten a first round pick.

Noone says that Centers have the same value as star guards. Especially a center who can't defend like Ayton and who has been already suspended for PEDs.
    But Covington isn't a star guard. He isn't a star wing. He is a roleplayer wing with serious injury concerns who is a meh 3point shooter and after his knee surgery last April his defence isn't where it was.
    He can't dribble the ball.

Not to mention there were analysts in the last few days, who insinuated he might need surgery again. Whether it is true or not, I don't know but there are GMs who are very doubtful about his health.
    He is also 29 already.

Vivi and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Favors analogy is the best comparison, they are the same type of players and make around the same salary.

Capela outplaying Gobert was an outlier, his playoff average is 8 and 7 so Capela doesnt really outplay his opponents. Of course Capela is also pretty young he is only 25 so he will prob get better but his value shouldnt be extremely high from Favors.

I'm still hoping Hartenstein isnt playing on Morey's orders to hide him. It's a joke he gets like 3 mins every game lol.

5. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Iam not sure how to take this? You want people to be less positive about the team and roster changes and that would make the GARM less miserable?>

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I hate this mentality. I don't disagree that this is a weak class but that doesn't make an FRP in this draft worthless. That's stupid. For a team that already has it's main guys, it sure would have been nice to have a chance to draft some young talent in the last couple of drafts. It doesn't mean that draft picks work out either, plenty of busts for the most part, but we need to stop down playing giving away assets away like these. We don't even know if that 2024 SRP will be good. I was under the impression we were getting this years SRP, sucks to be wrong so it does change my perception of the FRP we are giving away.

Vivi, malakas and Aruba77 like this.
  7. Mr. Space City

If only we had to get past the Utah Jazz to win a title :(

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Won't do that with this lineup either......just because we beat them short handed, doesn't mean when they are up for it....we will beat them...Gobert over a 7 game series will destroy us.

DD

9. malakas

malakas Member

Btw in my opinion, there is no doubt that the biggest loser of this trade is Denver, - with Houston second- and it will take very soon for everyone to realise this. I can't believe they gave away Beasley and Hernangomez for almost nothing.

Rosas is doing a great job in his first TD.
    He also managed to orchestrate an extremely rare 4 team trade that hasn't been seen in 20 years which shows he has good relationships with other GMs.

raining threes and pippendagimp like this.
  10. Mr. Space City

Like he destroyed Tucker that last time we beat him without capela?

D-rock, cbass and jcmoon like this.
  11. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Gobert ain't destroying ANY team on offense. That dude is an embarrassment in the paint on the offensive end.

D-rock, jakedasnake and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That's my hope as well, because he showed he could contribute earlier in the year when he got some run.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

great read

hieuytran and jcmoon like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One game - ONE game.

You youngsters need to GOOGLE "Don Nelson" and small ball - and see how many championships he won.

DD

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares if he can't coexist with Gobert the team getting him doesnt have gobert. If you wanna make that argument then Capela only puts up monster stats as he has Cp3 and Harden and WB. The team getting him wont have those guys creating buckets for him so he shouldnt be worth a lot.

Covington is a role player wing with all the issues you said but he is still worth more than 2 2nd round picks which is what Utah got for Favors. That's a fact. What issues Covington has or what Capela should be worth is just your own speculation, you arent an insider you dont know the NBA market. I'm just saying based on Favors who is a similar player to Capela making a similar salary the trade value of Capela isnt as high as you make it out to be. If you have evidence that Capela is worth a lot then please show us your proof before you complain the Rox got ripped off.

16. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Preach.

17. Mr. Space City

That's the problem.

You living in the past old man. Small ball is the future ;).

This isn't our final form. Wait till we put 5 guards on the floor

D-rock likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fwiw I have heard Morey say that he thinks, in general, mid-to-late 1st round draft picks are overrated by most teams. So while this sure seems like a Tilman cost-cutting thing, Morey probably at least ain't too mad about it.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

That may indeed be the case. That doesn't change the fact that the rockets gave away a low to mids 20's pick for an unknown 2nd round pick in 2024. And did so only to rid themselves of a two small expiring contracts. Certainly it was smart from a business/profit/tilmans wallet standpoint... But from a basketball standpoint I don't see how it is anything but a waste.

Lastly as terrible as the draft is projected to be... Atlanta was able to acquire a very good player at a position of need for them in Capela. At the cost of only a top 14 protected pick (Brooklyn) in this upcoming terrible draft.

Vivi and malakas like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Of course it matters.
    Utah wasted many seasons and let his value plummet. At that point everyone and their mother knew that they wanted him out ASAP so they got taken advantage of.
    If they had traded him at the right timing, they would have gotten a first round pick 100%. They sold at half price.

Covington is worth more than 2 2nds but he isn't worth a 1st round pick + Capela. LMAO
    And please don't bring the "2nd round GSW pick in 2024". This is not real value in the slightest.

So you are saying that if someone isn't an insider he can't have an opinion?
    What is this? The CCP? The GMs know best? That's why many of them do laughable mistakes and get ridiculed and fired?

In case you don't know Morey isn't god who cannot do no wrong, and also he isn't even free to make his own choices with Tilman pushing him.

slothy420 and vick like this.