1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal Dead or Dying?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Quick - how did Pau Gasol do in Memphis?

2. Raven

Raven Member

I bet Laker fans are howling mad over this.

:grin:

3. Mr. Space City

lowry, martin, and gasol would be cool :)

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

New Orleans was making a nice haul with this deal. Now they have a pissed off CP3, who can now have "righteous indignation" about almost being traded. He has an out now to go public with a statement that he will never resign with NO, and not look like a heel.

Leaving NO with ZERO leverage, plus one less bidder. They will have to trade him to Boston for Rondo straight up. So will that help the competitive balance of the league, with Boston now being the loaded team? Where were they when the super friends were signed and traded to Miami? Why weren't those deals nixed? Where were they when Gasol was traded to LA in the first place? If they cared about the competitive balance, why did they virtually guarantee this trade with their new CBA? If they had a system where a team could extend its own player for five years, $100 million DURING the year, instead of only when the player becomes a free agent, then maybe teams like NO and Orlando would have real leverage over their stars.

5. TheresTheDagger

Unbelievable turn of events.

Is this unprecedented? I can't remember the NBA rescinding a trade before. Teams yes, but not the NBA.

All basically because the "owners" of the team decided they didn't like where the players were going? Can you say...Conflict of Interest?

Moreover, this screws up all 3 organizations. They have to deal with the players who knew they were dealt and welcome them back to their original teams.

Nice work owners. Jesus.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The team is losing money how are they going to pay those new contracts.......answer: With other owners money.

Can you blame them for saying no?

I don't.

DD

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

8. SuraGotMadHops

I a little relieved the deal got axed, it felt like the Rox were giving up a bit too much. However, knowing Morey, I'm sure this was just step one of a larger plan, be it signing Nene or pulling off a follow-up deal.

9. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Chuck Hayes getting significant minutes much less a starter will not get you a ring....sorry, but you are the homer

10. TheresTheDagger

I sincerely doubt that was the sole "real" reason for this trade being rescinded. I also believe if that was an issue, the trade could have been changed to include players/trade exceptions to make the money right.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm glad. Scola, Martin, Dragic, and a pick were a bit much for Gasol.

12. Raven

Raven Member

The owners should have seen this coming. The best outcome is to keep CP where he is at, because trading him is going to be a cluster####.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is not about making it right it is about the owners having to dig into their OWN pockets to help New Orleans.

This is pure greed....well that and not wanting Kobe and CP3 to team up.

DD

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

DD is right. At the trade deadline last year, owners were vocally upset with the Hornets taking on contracts when they didn't have an owner.

15. TMacAttack

TMacAttack Member

16. AFS

AFS Member

Won't letting CP3 walk just make the Hornets harder to sell to an owner?

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

At this point, that's just speculation that you've picked up and run with. Wojo is reporting something different and I'll be interested when actual reporters give us more information.

18. triAGlete

triAGlete Member

I PRAY THIS IS TRUE. THIS TRADE WAS TRASH! also what is hilarious was i read the Lakers wanted a big man back! so what are we doing to do now??? give the lakers patterson so that we can get this trade through? i would not be shocked at all if morey sent paterson to the lakers to help facilitate the trade and scola martin and garic and the first rounder to NOLA for A WASHED UP OVER HYPED GASOL. i hope to god this trade is 100% dead. what a god awful deal.

19. txtodd

txtodd Member

So NOH will have to make a worse trade for itself, one that has less salary coming back, sending Paul to a crummy team where there's no chance he'll sign with them.

That'll get approved.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There are already several threads on this. You should be rookified.