1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deadspin] David Stern Did The Right Thing With Chris Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s2kboy16, Dec 15, 2011.

1. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

http://deadspin.com/5868434/david-stern-did-the-right-thing-with-chris-paul

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

I agree. Stern did the right thing for the hornets. Wasn't good for Lakers and Rockets, but for Hornets he make a good call.

3. TheresTheDagger

Man I wish I didn't love the NBA/Rockets so much as a product.

He's got me as a customer despite the above. He knows this already, and the article is spot on.

Either we have to learn to accept it or move on. Most of us will accept it.

The day that man resigns/dies/gets booted from his job will be a great day.

Until then.....sigh.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Despite anyone defending him, he could have avoided all this by putting an end to it in the earliest stages. Lebron destroyed his rep not for leaving Cavs, but by waiting til the last minute and leaving Cleveland with no options.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

**** this Deadspin guy. He's a full-of-**** know-it-all

6. ApuN

ApuN Member

The stands are going to be empty

There is no bonafide superstar and this team is going to the lottery.

I dont know if there is a big enough sucker out there to buy a lottery team with the stipulation that it has to stay in NO which has proven over and over again it can't hold an NBA team.

At least with the feirst trade you could give the impression you could compete

7. logggur

logggur Member

I don't understand why like 90% of people aren't getting that Stern cancelling a trade after all the teams had agreed to it without any warning is why people are pissed. It's not about whatever deal was reached, it's the shadiness of the tactics.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He made a farce of Hornet management's "autonomy" and pulled something flat-out unethical. That he is abetted by his bosses and will get away with it only makes it worse. I can't say he did 'right' by the Hornets when what he did was unethical. The haul is irrelevant.

9. supdudes

supdudes Member

It had to be done.

For the Hornet's benefit and the Clipper's. Didn't really affect Lakers all that much...Essentially it boiled down to choosing between Clips or Rox, and we all know Stern's gonna go with LA.

Would've been interesting if it was our deal that was better than theirs, though my gut tells me Stern still would've gone with Clippers

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that the initial CP3 trade was made so public before it was presented for approval, but it's simply the nature of the information age in which we live in. Initially I was worried about the integrity of the NBA after the trade was turned down due to the obvious conflict of interests involved. But, after looking over the second, approved deal, Stern simply held out and got what he wanted for "his" team. A better, long-term deal, with younger players and higher picks. Now had Stern accepted a worse deal to a smaller market team, then people would still have the right to scream collusion. Bottom line is that GMs/owners turn down far more deals than they accept, it happens all the time. I'm just rooting for the NBA to sell the Hornets as quickly as possible, or to contract, which ever comes first... I also will enjoy the Clippers becoming relevant again and being able to actually compete against their cross-town rivals.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LMAO

It's the way he did it. If he had said from Day 1 that the Hornets need young guys and draft picks, that would have been fine. The Rockets and Lakers would have gone elsewhere and not lost valuable time.

Also, vetoing a trade under the influence of other owners is collusion.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM! He did exactly what's right for the Hornets.....but what about the Rockets and Lakers?? So for 5 minutes, he took off his Commissioner's hat and put on his Owner's hat?? How on Earth is THAT fair?? And where does he draw the line then?? In the latest Chris Paul deal, he traded for a first round pick of the Minnesota Timberwolves. As the Commissioner of the league, how can he possibly make that gamble?? He's basically ADMITTING that that pick will be valuable because the T-Wolves are going to be a bad team. But he's the Commissioner, right?? It's not right for him to say that about ANY of the teams in the league....let alone BANK on that fact. Stern has opened himself up to a myriad of questions on this, and none of them are good. He has basically set the precedent here that he acts however he wants whenever he wants.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep. Commissioner Stern vetoed a trade to help Owner Stern.

Clear conflict of interest.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets should work out a deal to get Okafor if the Hornets are expected to suck that bad.the downside of a trade for Okafor is that the Hornets will be in a much better postion to compte with the Raptors, and Bobcats for the no. 1 pick.

15. TheresTheDagger

THIS.

The NBA isn't just a competitive league on the court. Its a competitive league OFF THE COURT as well. This wasn't some egregious hijacking of the Hornets (like say Odom for an expiring contract). No. This was a legitimate trade with value for all teams that all 3 GENERAL MANAGERS agreed to.(you know...the guys in charge of this for their franchises?) Changing the rules after the trade was agreed to and out in public DAMAGED 2 franchises period.

New Orleans isn't the only freaking franchise he needs to "protect".

As commissioner, he HAS to let the teams compete off the court too. If a GM is better than a GM THE LEAGUE OFFICE PICKED and the trade shows it....SO BE IT! If their is differing opinion about who benefits most from a trade....SO BE IT! It HAS to be this way otherwise, whats the point of making a plan or working countless hours on trades?

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, I also think we could still get Gasol in a trade with the Magic if the Lakers are indeed in the mix still. Maybe something like:

Magic: Bynum, Kevin Martin, Rockets (NYK) 1st Round Pick, Lakers 1st Round Pick
    Lakers: Dwight, Scola, Hedo
    Rockets: Gasol

Then maybe something like:

Hornets: Hill, Dragic, Rockets (Clippers) 2nd Round Pick
    Rockets: Okafor

Okafor/Thabeet
    Gasol/Patterson
    Bud/Morris
    Lee/TWill
    Lowry/Flynn

Thoughts?

17. ApuN

ApuN Member

Had nothing to do with the Hornets

This was about keeping the Lakers from potentially creating another "big 3", and sending the message that superstars cant dictate where they want to go in trade situations.

Not a coincidence that the whining b**** of an owner Gilbert talked about the rest of the league being the Washington Generals after this trade - the last guy who was a "victim" of this scenerio

The welfare of the Hornets is just an afterthought and "cya" move

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

THIS.:cool:

He should have made it clear from the beginning that Demps has NO POWER!

19. TheresTheDagger

Partly. Yes, the trade nullification was about stopping the Laker juggernaut. But it was even more about the Luxury tax that good ole Dan would be missing out on. And EVEN MORE THAN THAT was about trying to create maximum value for the Hornets franchise so that when they do sell each of the other 29 owners gets a nice fat return on investment.

In other words... just like the CBA..... $$$.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

NBA should have never purchased the Hornets.

I may not like Larry Ellison but still don't get why the NBA even had to outbid him in the first place