1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dead Woman Drank 2 Gallons of Coke a Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

****. I'm doomed. Doomed!

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I drink waaaaaaaayyyyy too much soda, but I can't even fathom drinking that much in one day once in my life, much less every single day of my life.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Gastronomically, she should have been getting some serious acid reflux 3 or 4 times a day, possibly even in her sleep. That last one's scary as hell when it happens, so to have blocked out biological functions that intensely definitely implies mental illness. I don't know how she couldn't have been barfing every other day.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I love soda as much as the next guy, but when I drink too much soda, my body will tell me that I need some water to dilute the system.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Considering you've made it to age 253, I think you're safe.

For now.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you cant blame coca-cola, if she was drinking the same amount of pepsi or any soda, she would have died too, so it was the quantity that killed her, not that brand.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

renal failure, diabetes, loss of foot function, loss of sense, loss of vision

why would you put yourself through this ****?

darwin award winner right here

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

wow...and i feel guilty drinking couple cans of coke zero a week.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

It's Coke Zero, you could easily do 4 gallons a day without dying.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sure:

http://olsonnd.com/what-sugar-does-to-your-brain/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/8365-sugar-affects-brain/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012\02\01\story_1-2-2012_pg9_8

http://brainstudy.wordpress.com/tag/soda/

Summary: it's bad for everything.

In fact, it's made even worse by the frequency at which we see these brands:

http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/cola-brains/

Generally speaking, white sugar:

- Is one of the few things we eat that has NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. It does not give you anything, and it does not give you energy efficiently or harmlessly.

- Each serving reduces your body's immunity to diseases by 20% for 5 hours.

White sugar is not natural sugar. Cane sugar is natural sugar.

It is an addictive substance, and the only reason it's not considered addictive is because companies such as coke and pepsi have put lots of cash into research which:

- Disputes the meaning of "Addiction".
    - Disputes the applicability of lab rat tests in this specific case.

Basically, it's like cocaine on a much smaller scale. People are so damn addicted to sugar because they don't know how common it is in even the most basic foods like bread.

Do you not get a headache if you cut sugar out of your diet? Withdrawal symptoms?
    Do you not think about needing "something sweet"?
    Do you not crash after the initial high?
    Do you get anything out of it?
    Can you name any scenario where you need white refined sugar?
    Does it not cause a high?

Here's the real stickler: if cane sugar is already sweet, why is it refined? Think about that.

The real messed up people are those who have caffeine + white sugar addiction, and you can see what it does to their skin, complexion, focus, etc. They get aggressive if they haven't had "my coffee!!"

Most importantly, when you tell people this, they give you the typical addict responses. A whole bunch of them are waiting to quote this post with a snide one-liner deflecting attention from their addiction and focusing on how it's unrealistic to quit, this is an overreaction, "it tastes so good!!", etc. Despite there being 0 evidence that it is good for you or needed, or even has a side benefit. In fact, it's destroying the health of many people's children as they idly watch. Some actually allow their kids to get addicted then use it to control their kids "you can have a snickers bar if you x, y, z".

Sad.

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  11. aghast

aghast Member

Dude. I'll give you a Snickers bar if you'll lighten the heck up.

A woman ate little, drank only sugar, smoked all day, and died as a result. Sad, perhaps, but oh well: not exactly a tragedy on scale with the Shoah. Congratulations on removing sugar from your diet.

But there's no reason to insist upon/promote one's own lifestyle decisions for the rest of us, who tend to have a wee bit more balance in our diets than the deceased.

12. Isabel

Isabel Member

Sounds like the lady suffered from depression. :( I would worry about the poor nutrition and lack of food more than the Coke. She was living off of sugar more than other nutrients. There were probably underlying issues that were not physical, and that maybe no one helped with. :(

I've spent my whole life drinking lots of diet soda, probably more than most of you would recommend. While it doesn't have the refined-sugar problem - I can't handle that much sugar at once - I am aware that it could have its own complications. That said, it has not hurt me yet. I try to alternate more with water, etc. to gradually lower the amount. (Or iced tea, though most of us put some sort of sweetener in that... and I'm not a big fan of sugar... I figure at least alternate between the different artificial sweeteners and you're not getting too many of any one molecule.)

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

it wasnt red soda. :p

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I love Snickers lol

Sorry I was in a pretty grumpy mood when I wrote that, didn't realize my tone. My intention was just to bring this information to light, as well as offer my opinion to Crudder.

I do think it's pretty strange that you're similarly advertising sugar as part of a regular healthy lifestyle (which is not an opinion, it's blatantly wrong), yet you're irritated that I'm allegedly insisting upon my lifestyle - which I wasn't, I was just giving facts and my opinions on sugar. I responded to the guy who asked. You can have sugar, cocaine, heroine, coke, caffeine, whatever you like, no one is stopping you, but if you don't expect to hear opinions around here, you're in the wrong place bud.

In fact, AS CRAZY AS IT IS lol I do have sugary snacks once in a while, but I recognize that it's bad/addictive in quantities that are considered 'moderate' these days. Also, there are people with very high metabolism who are able to consume sugar without apparent problems, and they might assume that others are just being whiny.

As cliche as it sounds I do it for the children because, if their parents don't know the facts, they are pretty screwed. Maybe it's because I've had more experience with people close to me suffering because of these things - obesity, hypertension and diabetes are all major problems over here.

Anyways, sorry for being such a buzz-kill. :grin:

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

16. aghast

aghast Member

Now we're talking my dietary requirements.

My apologies; my response was in jest. I just wanted to be the first to provide the snide remark, to prove you right.

On the grander scheme, I'm in decent enough shape as is. I don't see any reason to go to such extremes as avoiding sugar (almost) entirely, and I don't think the occasional scone is going to kill me -- that is, significantly faster than anything else would.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Go to a dialysis center some time and you'll meet lots of heavy cola drinkers.

Visiting my dad in Houston and having to cart him to dialysis 3 times a week scared the crap out of me. My dad never smoked, and hardly ever drank alcohol. He did however drink tons of coke and ate a diet almost exclusively of white bread, chorizo and Whataburger. It's killing him. At 61 he looks 20 years older. All from Type 2 Diabetes.

I gave up my coca-cola habit and started eating healthier, and so far dropped about 20 pounds. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore either. I started exercising more as well, but I'm trying not to be too extreme about anything because I don't want to burn myself out and revert back to old habits. I also had to give up beer, which sucked the most, but I switched to wine and drink way less in general.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Coke is a helluva drug.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ml0TURpHRuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>