1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dead ear cure?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tharges, Apr 18, 2012.

1. tharges

tharges Member

Guys im reaching out to you for anything that might help. My neighbor is an elderly man that is full of life and he recently lost his hearing to a dead nerve in his ear. This also has affected his balance as well, he was a very independant guy and has always taken care of himself and its just hard to see him going through this now. You guys are like having a second family to reach out too for answers or help and thats all im seeking here. I would appreciate anything you could offer.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the nerve is dead... it's not coming back. Did he have a bad stroke?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bump this in the morning. There are some hearing impaired posters who probably know some stuff to help.

4. tharges

tharges Member

Yes he did have a stroke, this guy though has the heart man to do anything. He was a great dancer before this and this has now limited him to a walker. You have to think with all of the technology out there that there is a cure? I feel so bad for him me and my wife take care of him as much as we can, i just hate to see a great guy go through this.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

depending on where the stroke was, he could still be a candidate for a cochlear implant

He should ask his doctor for a referral to a neurologist or an ENT surgeon since this just happened. I am praying for the best.

6. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Unfortunately there is no technology to "resurrect" a dead nerve. Like the person above me said, if there is enough of the nerve that is still alive, and the Dr or Audiologist think there is enough of the nerve that is viable, then a cochlear implant may be something he can get.

For Vestibular/Balance stuff that needs to be fixed, he needs to go to a physical therapist. While this may not fix everything that happened to him, PTs can help with balance issues and depending on how far out from his stroke he is, they might be able to give him back a fair amount of independent functionality.