1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DB on Alperen: "His offense is always there. His defense is here and there..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024.

1. maypk

maypk Member

Sure, but i'm not talking about the scenario where he gets 4 fouls in the early 3rd.

Even when he gets his 1st foul early in the 1st qt, watching him play defense is painful for the rest of the 1st.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He held Embiid to 4-11 today, with 2 blocks against Embiid. Embiid went 8-10 against the rest of the Rockets. And got 17 free throws against the rest of the Rockets, 0 free throws against Alpi.

So of Embiid's 41 points, only 8 came against Alpi (all long twos, and Alpi was contesting).

cml750, Jags, Downtown Sniper and 3 others like this.
  3. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

lol you are reading too much into what I said...I am not saying you are right or wrong...I am not here to discuss political, religious or philosophical beliefs...this is a basketball forum ;) Have a good day

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

He's done a great job of curtailing the reaching, which was one of the primary reasons he stayed in foul trouble before.
    He's still working on maintaining positional awareness and is occasionally slow footed on show & recover.

apollo33 and harold bingo like this.
  5. AmenTheSuperstar

It was painful to watch the way Embiid was abusing Tate and Uncle Jeff after Sengun had been benched in the first quarter.

6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp plays around 3.3 fouls/ 32 minutes this year or 3.6 per 36.

Team has to give impression to him to play with 5 fouls average is normal, even to be fouled out time to time if they wanted him to be strong defender. When he gets 3 fouls at the end of the first half he is benched. Why?
    Embiid had 5 fouls today at the mid of 3rd. Alp rarely makes 5 fouls in 2 1/2 quarters. Fouled out only twice in nearly 40 games.

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah you can pick & choose what metrics you want, but anybody who watches us knows who's targeted more than anybody else. Sengun's man defense is atrocious

8. maypk

maypk Member

I wasn't talking about today's game. I think Alpi did a great job holding his ground against Embiid.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I went back to look at the Boston game boxscore, and he had a LOT fewer contested shots in that one (4 then vs. 15 today). So maybe he was reacting today to the criticism.

10. Wizman

Wizman Member

It seems that you are cherry picking your definition of “targeted”. When you’re the last line of defense you are “targeted” on any play that gets past the perimeter defense. If an opponent guard beats a Rocket guard off the dribble and gets inside, who was “targeted”, the perimeter defender or Sengun? The high jumper of 3-pointers opponents make and take are not passed out of the post, they are from dribble penetration.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Sengun is improving on that end, but the fact is he can't jump with the more athletic players and most people know that. He is getting better at defending with what he has got.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

That's not what "targeting" is.

13. Wizman

Wizman Member

There is no “targeting” definition in basketball is my point. He’s using the term to mean opponents are focusing their attack on Sengun, ie he is the weakness they are primarily trying to exploit. I would argue there are areas of exploitation all around. Does Sengun scare players away? No. But has he forced his share of misses, he certainly has. His defense is “ok” and certainly needs improvement but calling it “atrocious” is silly.

invocux likes this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

Just replying how I took what you posted to me, there is nothing to read into, its simple and plain from your/my side of the coin

And maybe you should contact the commissioners from every sport and ask them why they promote Black Lives Matter schism and wear a hoodie for Trayvon and other political BS they cook up that day/month, and why players have to stand for the anthem etc

What you need to really laugh at is the fact that all of it is political

I know people who could have went pro and said they got duped by the 'politics' of the game

I already told you science/workings or nature is religion, mother nature is not a belief

Just like if you go take a walk in heavy rain no umbrella, you Know you will get drenched in rain water, you don't believe you will

Entertainment (all of it) is full of the BS you mention, so you may want to take up being a teletubby or cooking class because sports entertainment is full of politic/religion/race schism

And all through these threads(bball forum) it is always mentioned in some form by others on here

Have a good 2024

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can't see it becoming a problem for us (Sengun's defense). No he's not ready at 21/22 years old to be a very good defender against an MVP on a contending team that's playing well. That's not a standard bar to clear, that's the absolute highest bar he'll ever have to clear.

Sengun had very strong showings against the Nuggets and they tried to target him too. That it's been a mixed bag for him at this age is an incredibly positive sign. That's what it looked like for Jokic in his early 20's. On many nights his defense and foot speed would be the reason they lost. Not mastering these things early in a career is not a sign of a lower ceiling.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. Ancient Moabite

Foul trouble is a motherfreaker for pretty much all players

Had Embiid stayed in rest of game with his 5 fouls, Sengun would have cooked him because Embiid would have been a traffic cone not wanting to foul out

I got a feeling Sengun may be playing thru a nagging injury and keeping it on hush, but I could be just looking at it too much, maybe the long road trip is just taking its toll naturally on a young player

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We do have options available to us that are likely more effective than prayer.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wow, you love to see this.

20. Ancient Moabite

Then make sure you email Udoka/Stone/Tilman ..... In that order and let them know that you prefer effective options over prayer