1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DB on Alperen: "His offense is always there. His defense is here and there..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You still skipped the entire point and even after todays game. YOU STILL DONT GET IT. I want Jalen to do better, Sengun on the other hand is playing way better than expected at 21 he is on par or ahead of Jokic at that age. I dont want him being the main guy I see every game being lectured. I WANT TO SEE JALEN GET LECTURED LIKE THAT. He is our major issue. another 1-7 performance today. After this post you still wont get it because you are still thinking "this guy is a jalen hater" because its all you have lol Sengun's defensive numbers are great actually and his biggest problem is fred and jalen not guarding there man. THAT IS WHY THIS POST IS ABOUT JALEN.

2. 34to11

34to11 Member

[​IMG]

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get why some of yall are upset about this but it's really not necessary. Sengun is held to a higher standard because he is the best player on the team. And it's clear that Ime agrees. This isn't the same as the way Silas treated him because Silas legitimately thought he sucked and benched him. He told Sengun not to shoot, he told him not to pass, and he didn't want the ball in Senguns hands. And if Sengun stepped out of line Silas would sit him down. Ime is the opposite, he encourages Sengun to go out and be great. Sengun is involved on every possession, he takes a ton of shots, we run the offense through him, and he plays heavy minutes. So you don't need to get upset when the coaching staff calls out his mistakes. They're being honest and giving him tough coaching. He has the highest expectations out of anyone on the team and this is what that looks like.

And by the way, this wasn't even from the coaches, this was from a teammate that was asked a direct question. If they ask "how good is Sengun on defense" he's not going to say "I think Jalen Green sucks at defense" - that's not what he was asked. If anything you should take pride that these reporters and beat writers are asking about Sengun, he's our guy! He's getting the attention. He's the one that everyone wants to ask about, thats a testament to him as a player.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

They asked that question because they noticed him getting lectured on the sidelines lol

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

hey there capital letters, pretty sure they’ve said something about Jalen’s defense too. Keep calm and cope on.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Empty response nothing to say because you know im right lol

7. Ancient Moabite

But they are related, the scriptures are based on science/DNA etc

So being polite or respectful is your Higher-self, which is mercy/right/love (respect etc) or what is God-In-Man Consciousness

I told you what I Know, others use Scripture for their dogmatic belief for politics/$$$ gains

Glad you don't care, next time don't reply and keep it moving because the simple truth seems to spook you(and a slew of others)

#67 Ancient Moabite, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  8. 34to11

34to11 Member

Anybody want to actually discuss Sengun's inconsistency on defense?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. Ancient Moabite

What was your preseason prediction for Rockets record? Are you shocked or disappointed about current record?

Of course its frustrating rooting for a player to do well but only make 1-7 threes, the end of the world is near

And I don't know what Rockets games you have been watching or ever played, but when the coach benches or cuts your minutes then that is way more potent/hurtful than a older grown man screaming at another young grown man(or teenager) publicly

Ime has handled Green just fine, and will continue to do so accordingly, rather you keep ranting and losing hair over it or not

Calm down go outside and do some Chakra exercises, and pray Green can start going 5/10 from 3pt consistently instead of 1/7 or 2/8 etc

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nerve touched.

Dankstronaut and 34to11 like this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

Nah lets just pile it on Green, its easier that way

For now lets just blame every Rockets miss/turnover/shot on Green, his skinny shoulders can carry that load

JK

cbass, BigMaloe and 34to11 like this.
  12. Risingred

Risingred Member

DB said it well. Sengun still has some bad habits on defense, and apparently he is still learning. He did exceptionally well in show and retreat, but we didn't do that often. He has quick hands and slightly boosted up his steals last season, but he did less this year because he's too important on the offensive end and they don't want him to commit silly fouls. He is more aware of the lob threats, which is what we want to see. Overall, Sengun made a big leap on defense, but it is still a long way to go. In the past two seasons, his defense was unwatchable. Now, he was passable defense on some nights, while unwatchable on the others. I'm also glad that he flopped much less this year and comparatively he did that so blatantly last year.

harold bingo and 34to11 like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reported

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reported

Ancient Moabite and 34to11 like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

DB had 4 deflections 2 steals and 2 shot contests tonight.

Alpi had 15 shot contests, 6 screen assists, 4 deflections, 1 steal, 2 blocks and a charge.

[​IMG]

Can't say Alpi didn't hustle and play defense.

16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Thanks for the stat, enlightened.
    As you will remember well I am very against Sengun-Mobley comparisons because it might lead Mobley to believe that he is a Sengun level player. Similarly, Sengun-Dillon comparision is also not good. Sengun is the most important piece of the young core, Dillon is a transition period salary filler.

Better you show us Sengun-Embiid comparision. I know that Sengun is far behind but we can check/understand that how much he has to go more. There is a chance for Sengun to be Joel type of player in the long term. Small or big chance but it is probable.

17. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I think you're underselling his best nights here. I think his best is a lot better than "passable". I also think the unwatchable nights are few and far between. Like the number of games where he's just gotten absolutely abused on defense this year is in the single digits, which is an outrageous improvement over last season.

I think he needs a lot of work on playing defense without fouling. It's becoming way too common for him to get into foul trouble which forces him to play matador defense. Or maybe that's what folks are watching when they think he sucks so bad - they don't realize that he's in foul trouble? Part of this also has to do with him just getting a rough whistle in general, which is just something all young guys have to deal with. I think once he makes an all star game that might earn him some superstar treatment from the officials. One can hope, anyway.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ankara1923 likes this.
  19. maypk

maypk Member

I couldn't agree more. He needs to find a way to not be a total traffic cone on the defense when he's in foul trouble.

He turns into the worst defensive player in the world once he gets into foul trouble, other than that he's doing fine defensively imo.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I take a different approach - I don’t think there’s anything you can do once you’re there. The solution is not to get into foul trouble in the first place, that’s what needs to be fixed. Once he’s in foul trouble I think we just have to accept that he can’t afford to contest shots. Don’t worry about improving that scenario, worry about how to avoid it entirely.