1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DB on Alperen: "His offense is always there. His defense is here and there..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sorry me posting long messages makes you feel insecure. Perhaps you don't understand your own pattern, but that's typically a problem for teenagers. You ask me why you're insecure, but that's more a question for your parents and your therapist. From this limited view, I can only tell you that there's a clear correlation between your heightened emotions and Sengun's success.

Here are some adult lessons:

- You're not going to convince an adult that you don't have faith in your favorite player. Even a PR agency couldn't convince us of this.

- The fact that you didn't have the balls to say Alpi is a star in the making like I did doesn't mean you're reasonable. The evidence was clear. It means you were being safe despite being obsessed with him. It seems like I predicted exactly how Sengun and Green's development would go and you got both wrong. I knew Sengun is ready and I knew Jalen would struggle in the start of the season before showing improvement. I'm not sure how you see this as a positive thing, best to take notes.

- The adults took defense and assists as an early priority over offense and in 30 games they improved his defense more than any average coaching staff would have promised. To be fair to you, I thought they would first work on offense too, however their plan is better than what I expected. They are making it clear to him that even if he can score in bunches, defense and passing and effort is what they consider most important. Recently they have really started focusing on his offense and you can see this in the way his mix of shots have changed and he is enganging in more catch and shoot. I was a bit worried about this point, but in 10 or so games I see a big difference in Jalen improving his shot selection. We have 40-something games to go and at this rate of progress I'm super comfortable and Udoka seems to be too. Again, it seems complicated for you so best to simplify: the person who lifted Alpi (Ime) and is never afraid to be critical of a player constantly says Jalen is on a good path and needs to do gradual improvements to his understanding of how he's guarded. He's happy with Jalen's elevation from last season in the areas they have worked on. Since you claim to have believed Alpi was going to be a 3rd option, just have trust in the guy who could see better than you that Alpi is a 1A offensive hub in the making. Trust the people who got it right when you got it wrong.

- I've heard coaches and players be critical of Jalen, Sengun, Cam, Jabari. If your mind is laser focused on the ones relating to Jalen, that's just a fantasy you're living in. We have a coach and system that are thick skinned and see this as part of a successful team's growth. They're not gossiping at the hair salon, which is how you're treating it. "Even Jalen is focused now" >> you understand Sengun himself said that at some point during the tanking he stopped being sad about losing just like everyone else. Are you surprised that Alpi coming as a pro from a top 3 league in the world was more professional than Jalen Green who was basically a high school player with one month of G league coaching? I was not surprised and you shouldn't be either.

- Absolutely not, this is not Udoka's culture, it is not Sengun's culture and you know it better than anyone. These guys all root for each other. Again, you're not going to convince us that Sengun is an *******. We watch him as much as you do. He would defend his brother and find you to be an enemy of the team. It's REALLY weird that you're a fan of someone who would not like to meet you.

The good news is: at least you know you can be wrong about a player, like you were about Sengun. I think what happens for you is you can't differentiate between the player and their situation how to distribute the responsibility accurately. So you thought because of Alpi's past impact on wins and his slow development before Ime, that it has something to do with Sengun. The same is happening for you now, you are oversimplifying the situation to make it easier on yourself but it's not aligning with anything that's being said by the team.

We're here on this board in the business of predictions. We're not going to clap for you for supporting Alpi after he proved you wrong. You're making a prediction about Green and your record on predictions seems to be 0 wins and 1 loss. Try to get to .500 at least before pretending to be confident.

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Holding Sengun accountable is not blaming him. His defense has always been terrible. Teams aren't targeting Jalen every possession, it's Sengun. If the Rockets point out Sengun's flaws, who will? YOU'RE NOT. At no point will you ever criticize anything Sengun does because you're a obsessed superfan

34to11 likes this.
  3. maypk

maypk Member

I honestly had no idea about your deep insecurities buddy, if it's going to make you sleep at night, I'm not going to bash on the worst starting shooting guard in the league anymore.

4. CCM721

CCM721 Member

You'd think this was a competitive team last year with the posts in this thread Jesus Christ. People acting like we're regressing to two years ago when the team is 3 wins away from last years total with 48 games remaining even with the player we took top 3 barely having played any minutes. One rough stretch and the sky is falling. Also Sengun only fans appear to be worse than LoFs were somehow, good luck Houstonians.

34to11 likes this.
  5. Sengun

Sengun Member

Some people ask why Sengun gets these criticisms while other players don't. The answer is simple. When things are not going well for the Nuggets, the criticism is not directed at Michael Porter Jr. or Aaron Gordon. When things don't go well for the Sixers, it's not Kelly Oubre or Paul Reed who gets criticized.

Dillon, FVV, Udoka, they all DEPEND on Sengun to always perform at a high level in order to be successful in this team and for their own future.

Who cares about Jalen Green? Frankly, I don't think even Aaron Holiday cares about him. The only reason Jalen Green is still in this franchise is because Rafael Stone who made a pretty bad choice drafting him second pick, would prove his own failure if send him away and Fertitta still has hope for him.

Sengun was mostly considered to have had "great game" last year when he averaged 20/10/5.

He should now raise his standards to around 30/12/8. That's the only way Houston can win close games. For this, Green and Jabari need to use the ball less. They are not efficient anyway and they should definitely give up forcing shots, especially on the day they cannot make shoots.

Unless Sengun scores at least 35 points and wins the game in every game, he will always continue to be criticized for his defense. Even though they are mostly rote criticisms.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh, so you know you were just bashing him. At least you're somewhat self-aware.

I'm happy if you do it for me, but don't do it for me. Do it for yourself. Giving yourself literally bad feelings in your nerves because someone on the other side of the world didn't meet some expectations you invented in your head is not good for your health. Your expectations should be based on what the most involved experts say (i.e. the coaching staff). If you continue in this line, you will eventually develop a neurological disorder or need for medicine or accelerate the age of your brain. If you're Turkish I know that this is not something commonly taught from parents, but: you are the one who translates what you see into feelings. You can be neutral or optimistic about a bad thing without accepting the bad thing and you can still take steps to correct/eliminate the bad thing. The anger is useless and optional. Try to be more accepting of any situation for what it really is. Jalen's development was a catastrophe before this season and you should have known a catastrophe takes more than 38 games to fix. If it takes Jalen even 81 games to get efficient at scoring, that is a good outcome for us as overall fans of the organization with many talents on the roster and the front office will be pleased and the media will be clapping. We've seen this a lot in the NBA.

If you take away the fear of paying him in the future and the irrelevance of where he was drafted, there is just what we have and what we need. You have a player who was shooting poorly on 2's and 3's but has met expectations in all other areas to improve in such a short time. In the last 10 games, his 3's have improved dramatically. All that's left is to improve his tactics when attacking the rim (FG% at the rim and after contact) and to stop acting like he's Kevin Durant in the mid range. He is continuously improving at defense, rebounding, assists , effort and off ball play with the approval of one of the toughest coaches in the NBA. And if it doesn't work, there's Amen and Cam waiting. All this is good news for you if you're a Rockets fan.

34to11 likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

And another legitimate discussion turns into whataboutisms with Jalen Green. Some of you are truly pathetic.

cbass, anthony59237 and 34to11 like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Stopped reading after this.

What you're doing, blaming Jalen when he wasn't even the topic, is literally anti-accountability.

cbass and 34to11 like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. Ancient Moabite

Because in those so called holy books its a bunch or Neter/Elohim, or what is referred to as Annu-naki (nation of high priests of anu)

God is really a verb transitive and means one being active/action, which is why in the scriptures it says ''Ye are Gods'', Arm Leg Leg Arm Head (god body/limbs), which makes us all children of the said Most High

The middle east is really just the modern continent we call Africa, but that is the political jurisdiction name tag they call it today

11. Ancient Moabite

So me speaking my fly on the wall opinion is now me having it out for Bron?

Your stash is really got you bugging out on here, you do realize those things happened right?

When Bron first entered the league I thought he would go down as top 10 all time, he has been sensational for most part since day one

Just because I point out some flaws about any player doesn't mean I Am attacking them or have it out for them, just showcasing balance because we all have flaws (breathless imperfections) and strengths

You definitely have it out for Green though, Bron doesn't play for Rockets last I checked

Are you a closet Lakers fan?

12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn’t talking about religious scripture. I was talking about the linguistics. Daily common conversational language. When someone wants to be polite or respectful towards others, they usually use plural pronouns, even for themselves. You believe whatever you believe. None of my business and honesty I don’t care.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I know you did because its the only thing you have in these conversations. without calling anyone who disagrees with you a Jalen hater you have nothing else. I was on this board supporting jalen for 2 years and even in the summer people said he cant shoot and I said how he was actually on pace to be a star but thats only if he improved this year. You know what the stats say about this years regression? It says he'll be a bad shooter for a long time maybe till he's like 28 and he's not a star. so it has nothing to do with Jalen hate it has to do with him shooting like ass every game but me noticing our best player is the one being pulled aside.

#53 Joe Rocket, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    maypk likes this.
  14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

THANK YOU So I was right. They talk to Sengun like that because theyve given up on Jalen. My point is proven.

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The stats dont support this at all its just something you made up.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The best player being held accountable is called accountability. This is what accountability looks like.

This isn’t about Jalen. It’s not about you. Go on and make your mountain out of this molehill.

cbass likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Again without calling me a Jalen hater you have no point. Thats why your last reply is about nothing you dont have any valid points or arguments lol Enjoy watching Jalen shoot 1-7 from 3 today im sure it will help his shooting when they give sengun the lecture lol

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

cbass and Dankstronaut like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Im not calling you anything. The topic is Sengun’s defense. Care to contribute something that isn’t cope? “But Jalen” is cope. It was cope the first reply, it was cope with this reply and just in case the message isn’t getting to you it’ll be cope when you hit reply to this message and keep talking about Jalen Green.

Sengun could play better defense. There a problem with saying that?

cbass, BigMaloe and 34to11 like this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Embarrassingly pathetic.
    But you have to admit their "whataboutism" game is next level. Second only to their slurp game.