1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DB on Alperen: "His offense is always there. His defense is here and there..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The context isn't anything to do with Jalen Green though. Dillon didn't even say Sengun's defense was an issue, he just said he had some things to work on. Pretty bland statement if we're being honest.

They did this to Jalen earlier in the year too if I'm not mistaken. This is a molehill at best.

34to11 likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No the issue with the team last night was perimeter d leaving Sengun to make up for it and guard everyone else's man. It was also missing wide open ****ing threes. Lets address that lets have some talks in the media about that. Dont get me wrong im not some Sengun only fan but Im getting tired of his issues being treated as major when our major issues are fred and jalens shooting and defense night in and night out. I wanna see Ime pull Jalen aside and scream the **** out of him when he is taking these awful contested shots instead of passing the ball. I want Fred talked to when he takes 14 3s and makes like 2. Those are our issues.

#22 Joe Rocket, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Sengoat28 and Ankara1923 like this.
  3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Too much sense.
    We were there before. There was no perimeter defense and some were complaining about Sengun defense/fouling.
    2 years gone, HC changed, $80 millions spent in summertime, 2 rookies more drafted and we went back to "Square 1".

I posted few years ago :"The only thing is worse than Houston Rockets is Rockets media". I do not think they are any better. Expecting them to discuss core issues are futile.

Sobakawa and Joe Rocket like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, it's really trashy that any time Sengun gets some criticism or doesn't play well, his fans take a dump on Jalen Green. Like children who don't know how to direct their emotions. They make themselves feel better by making up things about Udoka interviews. Would love them to name a coach less likely to BS about a player. Did Udoka go from being a harsh straight shooter to bowing to Rafael Stone's alleged desire to manage Jalen's trade value? He doesn't do it for anyone ever except for Rafael Stone of all people. Amazing. The mental gymnastics it requires to come to this conclusion and then narratavize what Udoka says... it's embarrassing for you.

Maybe... just maybe like many coaches, Udoka just believes in himself and that Jalen is just developing the things he should have been developing the past two years and his natural talent makes him worth investing time in? Too simple for you huh? lol.

You don't have to do this and you wouldn't have to do this if you weren't so insecure about something. Everyone has favorite players, but some fans are super culty. I guess because I have the Sengun fans on ignore (they make it impossible to just enjoy Sengun's career) I didn't realize how bad it's gotten.

Go put on some Rockets gear and remind yourself what you're here for.

Nook, cbass, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  5. maypk

maypk Member

It's really trashy that whether Sengun plays well or not, or whether Sengun gets criticized or doesn't, Jalen still sucks.

But I'll give Jalen this: he's the 2nd most consistent player of the Rockets this season behind Landale. He's consistently bad.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Listen, you can attack me all you like I will eat your words for breakfast, but I just want you to take care of your emotions. You can't be clearly more emotional like this after Sengun gets criticized. It's just not a good look and it's embarrassing. Maybe you think you're hiding it well because the adults don't want to hurt your feelings, but recently you're really out of control. You have to have more genuine faith in Sengun, you don't have to be insecure. This behavior is directly related to insecurity, we all know it even if you don't. The adults are handling the development of the players, so you don't need to worry about complicated details like that.

It must be really difficult for you to understand that if you said any of these things to Sengun, he would tell you to stop making things up about his Rockets brothers. You're a fan of a person who would find you disgusting. This is really really weird and sad.

#26 Mathloom, Jan 14, 2024
    cbass, BigMaloe, 34to11 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ancient Moabite

Not taking up for Green but it was him who wanted better structure(coach) / better floor leader etc, so why would he not be able to take tough love if he invited it?

Just Keep it in house and not in the media

And benching/cutting minutes is the same as criticizing, just with action and no words

You remind me of the preacher at the church trying to convince the fleeced sheep that God is singular and a Prophet is the Lord God of the World, but the book of Genesis(genetics) says ''let Us make man''

''Us'' is plural

Google that

8. Ancient Moabite

From what I watched (not entire game) the Rockets were scrambling and trying to double on the perimeter which basically makes your entire team out of order and leaves the perimeter vulnerable, for even vets/all def. caliber like Brooks etc

Ime has pulled Jalen and others aside via a stern convo or to join him on the bench

And Jalen needs to stop fading on shots, rather contested or not, shoot with your body upright and live with the results

Fred has a very long 40$ mill leash, so he will have to tone that down on his own since he is basically Ime on the court and has carte Blanche status

I don't think Sengun defense is an issue at all, other than me wishing he was more Jokic/Gasol height

The team defense failed, and playing on back to back against best home team in the league and Ime played a scheme which allowed them to shoot wide open 3's (which is their strength) was a recipe to get blown out

Ime low key coached for the Cs last night based on the defense, he should have just let Tatum cook and try to keep the others on lockdown to best ability

BigMaloe, Jags, OremLK and 2 others like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes. I said before I can almost always tell when a Jalen shot is gonna be a miss before it leaves his hands, and this is the tell. He shoots too many shots off-balance. I don't know if a straight-line, on-balance shot is going to result in a make, but it might. His off-balance shots almost never do. He has to cut that crap out.

10. maypk

maypk Member

Maybe you should go back and read what I've posted and what you've posted so far on this thread to determine who gets emotional. I'm not the one posting an essay because someone criticized my favorite player, it's you. I explicitly said that Sengun played bad and the critiicsm is justified.

I'm so grateful for "the adults" who don't want to hurt my feelings, I really am. Otherwise I couldn't live with myself if "the adults" were hurting my feelings on a basketball forum because as you can imagine I'm a 9 yo girl.

I see the confussion, this is where your flawed logic falls apart. You may have genuine faith in Jalen and stand with him no matter what but i don't have and I don't need to have genuine faith in Sengun. Sengun himself needs to have faith in him and prove it on the court every game. So I'm not going to harrass other posters if Sengun starts playing like my asscheeks or like Jalen.

And why would I be insecure? I posted a few months ago that I believe Sengun is more likely to be the 2nd or 3rd option on a contender in his prime. I even thought and posted that Jalen has a higher ceiling than Sengun. Clearly, I overestimated Jalen, but it's not really my fault that Jalen turned out to be a more athletic Killian Hayes.

I'm guessing "the adults" who are handling the developments of the players are not doing a great job since Jalen somehow managed to be an even worse efficient shot chucker than his rookie season.

I've heard him say, "Even Jalen is focused now," on PG's podcast, so I think he'd be fine if I said any of those things to him.

#30 maypk, Jan 14, 2024
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is such a cop out. This has nothing to do with Segun fanboys or Sengun vs Jalen. IT HAS TO DO WITH ACCOUNTABILITY. And who needs to be held accountable the most. ITS THE THIRD GAME IN A ROW OUR BEST PLAYER GETS THE LECTURE. Sengun is our best player like it or not WTF is he getting bigger talking to's than Jalen and Fred WHO CANT SEEM TO HIT THE BACKSIDE OF A BARNYARD, it makes no sense. In every stat he's been the most consistent guy. This same thing happened ****ing last year and you see how much Jalen improved? not at all. If they treated him half the way they treat Sengun then maybe he would play better. Look at every stat our losses arent on Sengun. WHY THE **** IS HE GETTING THE BIGGEST TALKING TOO'S. I want to see Ime rough Jalens soft non shooting ass up. Call me a Jalen hater but if he was as consistent as Sengun and Sengun was the bad shooter then this would make sense to me. If Sengun played as badly as others I would be talking the same way about him. This has nothing to do with favorites it has to do with how people are playing and how they are being held accountable. I dont see this fire with Jalen who needs it more. Maybe they think he's a lost cause.

Sengun and Sobakawa like this.
  12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp had coaches similar to as following:

Obradovic is considered as the best living coach. So, Udoka's or others' criticism should be kind of a child whining for Sengun.

I do not know other prima donnas of NBA can take any criticism. It is their problem, not Alp's.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Too bad the rest of our team's offense is never here nor there.

Sobakawa likes this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

Mutual, and when he actually shoots like a confident shooter in proper form he has what I call good/tough luck misses

Its almost like he has a diff. shot /body form for each game, just like his strength seems to kick in on certain plays where he turn into hulk and knock a defender out the way on a drive, and then later on get completely knocked off balance from the slightest bump

I truly innerstand why good chunk on here is frustrated about his play(or they just don't like the pick)

Because one minute he is looking like Kobe dropping 15+ in a quarter or 20 in a half then the next game look like he wants to sit next to Ime for majority of the game

He has from now until next off-season to make Udoka vouch for him come RFA

I just give a little more leeway to guards who come straight out of HS, especially as raw and under coached as he was

He would have been way better off getting 30 games of coaching/team building from a Duke/Michigan St or whatever college team he would have chosen, over the 15 ymca(I mean GLeague) games before the covid-19 Op reared its ugly head and shut it down

OremLK likes this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Jalen gets a free ride, coddled, and put ahead of superior players. Jalen will never be held accountable for his trash consistency.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha DB selects the best timing to support his big man......save it for the offseason.

17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There was a comment on one of my recent posts when I'd say I can't recall hearing this negative talk from Ime about Jalen - the reply being potentially because Ime knows he can't treat Jalen this way.

And I honestly think that's exactly what it is. Ime knows Alpi has the intestinal fortitude to respond strongly. And unfortunately I think they know Jalen is mentally weak and have to resort to treating him with kid gloves exactly like they needed to treat KPJ - for differing reasons - but with kid gloves still the same.

Nook likes this.
  18. Ancient Moabite

Pretty sure Udoka knows Sengun was coached tough preNBA

The young picks are all basically Udoka's children so you have to deal with each differently

LeBron got treated with kid gloves and still had two coaches canned in Cleveland and tried to do it to Spo, but Riley took the kid gloves off and dropped the hammer on him

Is LeBron mentally weak or just wants everything his way (like a kid)?

19. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

It is a common practice of being respectful by using plural pronouns when referring to God or someone of high regards in the Mediterranean basin and the Middle East.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For some bizarre reason you have it out for Lebron tonight....