1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Day for Night 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by I am a Donut, Sep 20, 2017.

1. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

https://dayfornight.io/lineup/

Really, really great lineup here. St. Vincent, Thom York, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pefurme Genius, NIN, Tim Hecker,..... I love seeing Houston get a festival with a lineup that blows ACL out of the water. Anyone attended before? What do you think of the festival, overall?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wasn't the venue flooded?

E: didn't mean this as a weird joke -- the venue is basically on Buffalo Bayou I assumed they flooded -- is this thought inaccurate?

[this lineup is one of the best i've seen in recent memory]

#2 KingCheetah, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

It was awesome last year. The art installations were mind blowing and the sound quality was great on all the stages.

I seriously can't believe this year's lineup. And of Montreal playing an album that I consider personally meaningful. Just a great Christmas present for htown, especially if the weather holds up. I mean...don't get me wrong, as thrilling as it was to see aphex twin on one of the coldest, windiest days in recent memory I do not want repeat conditions for Trent and Thom :(

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow. Totes in! Freaking AWESOME lineup there, not missing it.

RocketWalta and KingCheetah like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the perfect time for Harden to do to lil B what he did to Moses Malone Jr.-- Stomp that little **** stain into the dirt.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

I went last year and saw Kaskade. It was freezing cold but the show was great.

DudeWah likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

holy cow...Andy Stott, Forest Swords, Mount Kimbie, Shabazz Palaces, JLin, Jamie XX, Tim Hecker, Phantogram, Thom Yorke......my dream line up

KingCheetah likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

No Bieber? Not going.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Are all of the shows outside? The FAQ says to bring scarves and gloves, but no mention of where the stages actually are.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I like this lineup also much more than acl for the last several years.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

there are some shows inside but the majority outside. it's an incredible festival, though... really unlike any other. just a neat experience.

LonghornFan likes this.
  12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Froze my ass off last year. This year's lineup is even better so hopefully we get some better weather.

13. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I went last year. It was pretty awesome. Nick Murphy aka Chet Faker was my favorite (other way around?). It was definitely a different crowd than other festivals I've been to. It had a more counter culture/underworld/non-yuppie vibe, although it might have just been all the Aphex Twin fans. Those dudes came out of the woodworks and that was some strange music they were playing.

December weather in Houston is a total crap shoot so maybe some good weather karma will blow our way that weekend.

Anybody recommend some good electronic DJ's/groups on the lineup? I'm not that familiar. Thanks!

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Been both years. Can't think of another festival like it. Maybe because of the time of year, maybe because of the acts, and maybe because of the price, the crowd is a bit older. Think hipster post-grads, not Spring Breaker college kids or Buzzfest teens. It's a real cool scene. It's gotten pretty cold both years, so gloves, scarves, and hats (and shatter vapes) are a must. The music booking and art have been top-notch. Even the stuff you've never heard of is probably going to be interesting, at the very least. Highly recommended.

15. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

I'm really proud that this is happening in Houston. This will be my third year going and everyone should make an effort to attend. This is not your normal big festival. The crowd is more refined and educated, there are a lot of things to do besides the music, and the talent (both visual and audio) are world class. Last year it was in the main post office. They had two large and one small stage outside. And there was one large stage inside. The artwork is scattered through the grounds, but most of them will be inside because many of them need it dark to get the full affect.

Id like to consider myself as someone with a lot of knowledge in music, and what i like most about this festival is discovering new sounds and talent. I just love walking around each stage and immersing myself with the sounds. It really doesn't matter who is playing, the DayforNight people do an excellent job in finding great matches for our taste. We really are the envy of the festival world right now with these kinds of lineups and no one else is really doing this kind of concept

16. theimpossibles1

These artists are really unfamiliar to me. Can someone give me their favorite songs among these artists? My favorite music is melodic electronic if that helps.

Edit: i see Justice on there, one of my favorites.

17. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Thought this was about the famous ER episode...

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Andy Stott is one of my favorite artist. Dark, gritty, dank, textured techno

#18 tehG l i d e, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  19. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Who is ready for this weekend??!!?!? Just listened to some Forest Swords -Engravings and man that is some crunchy tunage broheims! I think I might have to miss the end of Pretty Lights to go check it out!

If anyone plans on going with Lucy, I would check out Gas fwiw.

finalsbound likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In. I'm taking it that NIN will most likely be playing outside on the 360 degree stage? Freaking hyped about this and have been since the announcement. Gonna get some glow sticks ON!

CCity Zero, finalsbound and DudeWah like this.