1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Day Dreaming] Is There ANY Scenario Where We Could Have Kept Battier and Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 18, 2013.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I ask the question because right now I'm thinking that those two would put our lineup over the top.

Beverly
    Harden
    Battier
    Scola
    Howard

With Lin, Parsons, Jones, Smith, and AB rounding out the rotation. I am not so good with salary cap manuevers, so is there any scenario at all in which we could have kept both guys in addition to our current guys?

I mean just think about it, we need an SF who can knock down 3s and play D, thats Battier. Scolas polished low post game plus his bulldog attitude on Defense (when not flopping) is a perfect complement for Howard.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope.

There's this thing called the salary cap and Howard wouldn't join the team for free.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Scola was a horrible defender.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hotballa

yeah but at least he tried (when not flopping)

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Keeping them, I don't think so. Battier was leaving and the Rockets knew that. The Rockets needed the cap room that amnestying Scola provided.

Bringing them back is a different question. Rockets didn't have the team to lure Battier back. I believe they could have thrown their hat in the ring to trade for Scola (unless some amnesty rule I don't know about prohibits that).

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Battier finished his career here.

7. hotballa

How about:

Asik instead of Howard then

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why not Martin instead of Harden too while your at it.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not really.

Battier.... mmm... he ended turning into Thabeet(traded for Camby), and a pick that turned out in the end to be D-Mo. Plus if he was re-signed his salary would have most likely counted more against the cap that would have hampered the Rockets ability to go after Dwight in free agency.

Also Battier might not have signed back with the Rockets anyways unless they blew him away with an incredible offer.

Scola- Not unless you didn't want Howard. His salary would have made it next to impossible for the Rockets to sign him this past Summer.

10. s.b713

s.b713 Member

While i love Scola and Battier, it was much needed from a Salary Cap relief in order to sign D12. Now Battier i think is a free agent next year, maybe we ought to make a run at him with the minimum id love to have him in our team. He's a leader and can shoot the 3 from the corner plus he's a smart defender.

11. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I thought about this the other day and then remembered that he sold his house :(

Please correct me if I am wrong.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Scola would be a great stretch 4 for us and Battier would be great for his 3pt and perimeter defense. But unfortunately, we wouldn't be where we are if we kept them. And those 2 guys are getting too old, we have a young core and I like it.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he said he's likely to retire after this season.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I can told see this. Morey said Battier is his favorite player in the league

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/shane-battier-selling-pad/#0

Its all set up!

besides the big 3 could be done too

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I can totally see this. Morey said Battier is his favorite player in the league

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/shane-battier-selling-pad/#0

Its all set up!

besides the big 3 could be done too

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Loved Scola (though he can't defend a midget), but not a fan of Shane "I get hot once or twice a season) Battier. I don't know if I saw him make 20 three pointers during his entire career with the Rockets (most in that playoff game with LA). I do go to the fridge and the bathroom a lot, but still.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No thanks on Battier, I'm glad his ass was shipped out

But I'd love to have scola back

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Once you amnesty a player you are not allowed to reacquire the player until their contract expires. Therefore the Rockets would not have been able to reacquire Scola.

1 person likes this.
  19. stefanb

stefanb Member

Yeah but if he was a great defender he would have been considered a star.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah the scenario would of resulted in 10 straight 42-40 seasons ensuring we got the 14th pick for a decade!