1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

mills should be ahead of tua at the least

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It's right! You can't put him above Tua

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

He looks great in the highlights, he has deep throws, he can escape pressure, you clearly can see how he is progressing during the season, I really like him, lets see how his 2nd season goes.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. raining threes

I didn't know Booker was a DT.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankin...ng-performance-arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. I think this list is silly and we'll look at much differently as the season progresses. I like Herbert, but not more than Burrow. I'd likely have Burrow as 1 or 2. Some of these QBs are in for a slide this year.

B-Bob, ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Lol

The rankings after this season will be Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Carr, Lawrence, R. Wilson, Mills, Ryan, Jackson, Z. Wilson, Tannehill, Jones, Tua, Pickett.

Watson is N/A.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

My top 5 in AFC(right now)
    Mahomes
    Joe B
    Allen
    Herbert
    Wilson

Wouldn’t shock me at all if Joe B took the leap to #1 at end of season. That guy is phenomenal. Good athlete also.

Shark44, showa13 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. body slam

body slam Member

Does Mills have the weapons he needs to succeed?

One of the radio shows asked this question last week. I'm leaning to no. While I liked what I saw from him last year and hoping he does well this season For me it does not seem like much has been done to help.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Oline should be much better, if the run game gets some juice with the rook it should help.
    WR is a wild card, has some potential to be solid with some depth.
    TE is a joke

raining threes likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The funny thing about Mills is that if he was in this draft, he probably goes in the first round. Scouts, Teams, Analyst etc are going to be slow to admit that he is good. He was never talked about in the draft as he was outperforming Wilson, the kid in Jacksonville, etc.

He went from barely playing in college due to injury to starting in the NFL. He was always going to struggle due to having lack of playing time and a speed up in the game. There were people in high school comparing him to Andrew Luck due to his ability to sling the ball, make reads etc. He was the next up and coming phenom at one point.

Crazy how once the game slowed down, you saw some absolutely insane throws(dude does not lack confidence which is the issue you get with highly analytical types who tend to over think). Lets look at the Charger game. I can't recall but one of their defenders recently mentioned him in an interview as an up and comer when the talk show host forgot to mention him.

Davis Mills' Best Throws in 2-TD Game | NFL 2021 Highlights - YouTube

Check out .03 seconds in. Check out 1.35 seconds in.

Eye manipulation in the pocket prior to going to his read.

Accurate off his backfoot, his throw to Nico Collins late in the game is special despite it being a slant. It was a quick release off the backfoot. That is stuff you see from the guy in Green bay.

The talent is there. I think he has a 50/50 shot to be a top 10 guy in this league. The question is will the Texans put the talent around him and will Pep who has a track record, be able to continue developing him.

This upcoming season is going to be fun with the lowered expectations and young talent. Winning may be closer than we think.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree man. The pedigree is there.
    Physically he fits the profile of a new age QB, big, good arm capable of multiple platforms, mobile.
    Let the game slow down for him and his natural gifts will come through.
    He has a chance to be really good, odds are against him but I like what I see so far.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully with a little bit better team now we see some more progress. I can't wait for preseason! I'm anxious to see what our draft picks can do.

raining threes, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Love this! Being the underdog has always been my preferable position. Let them think and say this stuff and then we prove them WRONG!

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. showa13

showa13 Member

This list makes me question how much of Mills did these guys watch. How can you say he made a lot of good plays and looked good but rank him lower than Fields and Lance who they mention as having some big concerns. The Trey Lance thing really confuses me cause reports are he can’t make the easy passes, yet he’s better than Mills?

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

They don’t…but for whatever reason it’s safe for the national media to hate on him. Oh well I doubt he cares. As long as he does his thing on the field eventually he will earn some respect.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

What a difference from last year when he was looking like hot garbage last year in training camp (edit : forgot there was no mini camp last year) now Davis Mills is looking the part and doing the part. Let’s go! can’t wait

#1139 ROXRAN, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

So Pickett, a dude who hasn't played one NFL snap, is ranked higher than two players who were the starters for their teams?

To me, that immediately delegitimizes the list.