1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a fair take.
    Herbert is definitely up there. He’s on a better track than Watson.

Stafford isnt a jag. If Watson has Stafford career that would be a win.

2. Damion Laverne

Mills is still a question mark.

To me, he has to put up good numbers and WIN. Being the best statistical QB out of a bad rookie QB class isn't spectacular.

Need to see more of his athleticism on a consistent basis. He supposedly has wheels, but I didn't see enough of it on the field. I saw some good throws, but I also saw him floating too many ball.

Mills also has to improve his internal clock.

But the overall talent level on the roster has to improve for this team to move forward.

bigdaddy and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a fair assessment imo

4. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Too early to put a ceiling on Mills. He could very well be mediocre but it is too early to say he isnt going to be a franchise QB. His rookie season gave as much optimism as you could ask for in becoming one.

Zen Tabak and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t count on him becoming Allen, he doesn’t have those physical tools. But to be fair, literally no QB in the league has Allen’s size, arm, legs.
    Mills does have all of those things, just not at that level.

ROXRAN likes this.
  6. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I agree I wouldn't count on it but to completely say he cannot be as successful as Allen...I just disagree with that. Don't get me wrong it is unlikely he gets there but he has a better chance than Jimmy G, Baker Mayfield, etc.

ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That was not on Watson. Sorry. Blame BoB.

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

As much as I love the comparison… Josh Allen’s running ability is such a huge part of his game.

Ironically, during Josh Allen’s rookie year, people were calling him a bust. Credit to Allen for putting in the work to become one of the elite QB’s in the NFL and also to the Bills FO and coaching staff to help him develop and succeed.

If Mills can become 80% of what Josh Allen is right now, I’d be ecstatic.

One comparison I would make… is that they were both very “raw” prospects coming out of their respective drafts. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- the progress Mills made from training camp until week 18 was very impressive. If he can continue to improve and work on his consistency, he will be an above average starting NFL QB… and that is a compliment.

9. raining threes

You can say that about all of the rookie QB's this year and some of the 2nd year guy. Like Tua.

You appear to be one of these draft slot guys, you know his guy cant be good because he lasted until pick #67. I'm more of the type of guy that when I watch him play he looked better than all of the 1st rd guys for the last month of the season.

Posters talk about his arm/mobility etc... you know who he reminds me of? Burrow talentwise. I would love to see what Mills is with Chase/Higgins/Uzomah/Boyd and Mixon. Put some talent around Mills and lets find out what he can do. Right now the only guy they've got is Cooks. We're hoping Collins improves but there's no assurances. There's no Uzomah or Mixon on this team. But in the draft without trading you can find a Higgins and a good RB that may not be Mixon but still a really good RB. Finding a TE that can stretch the seams and still be an above avg blocker is harder to do. You're probably not going to be able to add that guy this yr.

I hope Caserio is able to trade down and gather more picks. I'm really liking Pickens at 2-37. Another 2nd could bring a guy like Salyer and you could finish out the RB room in the 3rd with a guy like Spiller. So you could add protection and playmakers in rds 1-3 to really begin to see how good Mils is.

BTW, Ross if he falls to 3-68 would be my pick before he got hurt he was better than Higgins. IMHO Collins/Higgins are 2 big/fast outside playmakers with Cooks in the slot? Now you've got Mills some weapons.

10. raining threes

I'm hoping for more than 80%. Mills is very accurate throwing the football and while he's not a runner he moves around just fine. He appears to be a quick processor of defenses. I would say if you were to compare QB styles and traits that Burrow would be a much better comparison to Mills than Allen and you can win with that in the NFL.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have no idea whether Mills will keep improving or will be out of the league in a few years.

But judging QB "talent" the way you do other positions is one of the more consistently absurd things I see. As long as you are of above average height and don't have a pea shooter attached to your shoulder you have enough physical talent to be a good QB. We've seen a bunch of complete statues be superstars, and he isn't a complete statue.

Every other skill needed can be developed. Will he continue to develop, no clue, probably not, but all of the "average QB upside" posts are stupid IMO.

cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  12. raining threes

Watson contributed to that failure as well as the entire team and BOB. That team showed it's character and I would've left BOB in Kansas City and started making trades to move all of those guys out in trades as quickly as I could. Those guys showed their true colors when the chips were down they folded like a cheap tent.

13. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Completely agree.

Htown Legend likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is the thing that has me excited.
    The arm talent and ability to make throws off script.
    Some of the throws on the run were really nice.
    That is something you either have or don’t have

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good find! I watched that game, but didn't realize how tight some of those windows are he was throwing into. Very impressive velocity, placement, and touch.

17. conquistador#11

Just noticed the title of this thread was changed.
    [​IMG]

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Mills was doing all this without a strong O-line and very limited weaponry at RB and WR. Imagine if we get him a couple of electric playmakers and then beef up the line. All possible through free agency and the draft. Especially if we deal Deshaun Watson.

The AFC will be strong for 10+ years with Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert. We need to go all-in on offensive talent to match up with these teams. Courtland Sutton and Chris Godwin are interesting FA targets.

raining threes likes this.
  19. raining threes

Looks like Caserio found his QB.

What more do some want to see from Mills?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

From the start of this thread and in other threads, I thought Mills could progress and grow in the system Tim Kelly used with Watson, in 2020. Uptempo, rub routes, empty. Surprisingly, Mills was also good in roll outs. The uptempo they didn't try it to the last week. Ridiculous. You can only admire how he went from all ints in preseason to 1a/1b as the best rookie qb when starting. Texans need to keep building him up by getting a couple of playmakers in the draft and see where it goes. Confidence can go a long way.
    His drip also has to improve. It's a -10
    eventually you want to get here:

bigdaddy and cmoak1982 like this.