1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, agree. The comments like he doesn't have the "it factor" just make me wonder why he set a rookie QB rating better than all those with that "it factor" achieved. Was it a once in a career day? Was it the start of a career that will get better and better with experience? Nobody really knows that. If he keeps progressing just think if we add some more depth to our offensive line and a couple great additions to our receivers with our trade with Watson. We could always draft a 1st round pick in a couple years if he doesn't pan out. Give him time.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, the same one that kept Brady under 20 last week. Very impressive performance. Let's just hope he can get consistent.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

@Fulgore
    Was this game enough? I know you said Belichick vs Mills would be a blood bath. He did alright. Any opinion change or you think it was a fluke?

raining threes likes this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No change for me. Second half put 7 pts on the board and Bill B doesn’t lose to rookie qbs like I stated.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My anecdotal observations are that if an NFL QB is going to stick around it usually starts to happen around the +3 games started mark. Thats when you start to see signature games and the skills flash on why they were drafted highly to begin with. Obviously that doesnt always hold true for every prospect or successful QB some more some less, but for us with the last QB here the WOW moments and consistency started about the 3rd game. It was encouraging to see Mills show me something that I hadnt seen up to that point. It was nice to see him just sling it, stop thinking and play ball.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough.
    His game against the Pats was as good as Watson. I’ll take it

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol you’re trying to convince yourself that one day he’s better than Watson huh ?

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Huh?
    No I’m saying Mills rookie game against Pats is/was better than Watson's against the Pats.

ROXRAN and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In fact it was much better than Watsons rookie season game against the Pats.

We will see if Mills can build on it.
    You’re entitled to your opinion on him, but it’s weird you can’t see that he has some ability.
    He also did this with much less talent than what Watson had at the time.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

He lost because of the bad coaching, with awful decisions, and poor management of the clock.
    the texans would have won with a better coach, or a better kicker.

raining threes, whag00 and King1 like this.
  12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

"Doesn't have the it factor" is code for "I was wrong but I am not yet ready to admit it"

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

You could say this about Trevor Lawrence too, the 1st overall pick, and before the draft seem to be the future of the league, I havent seen the it factor from Trevor this season, like he did in college.

14. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see a QB in this draft who is going to better than Mills once he gets more experience. Let the kid play and beef up the defense and receiving corps with this draft.

raining threes, ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Zach Wilson (2nd overall pick) vs Pats - 210 yards, 4 INTs, 0 TDs
    Davis Mills (67th overall pick) vs Pats - 312 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

? i don't watch the jaguars, it's already bad enough watching this sht franchise lose weekly.

Mills so far seem inconsistent. but he did throw some nice ones vs patriots.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me but Mills' long throws are a bit shaky. I'm not expecting Mahomes or Josh Allen arm cannon velocity but it always seems to just float...reminds me of Chad Pennington.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Speaking of - the poster boy for the NFL seems to be coming back down to earth a little while Josh Allen is hurdling guys and setting the league on fire. CONSISTENCY is key and so many variables in the sport of football have to go right to produce a winning product. Mills has a long way to go and is in a horrible situation and environment, but if he can remain competitive and improve even a little each week it will make him a player who can overcome adversity and show grit that extends beyond the stat line.

Lets not forget that before people were clamoring about "best rating against best defense" talk the kid was rated as the worst QB over the last 3 years in those same markers. Need to remain realistic while throwing around praise and criticism.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chad Pennington?
    I don’t see that at all. Mills has a plus arm. Maybe not the prettiest spiral, but Manning threw some ducks too.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Poster boy? You talking about Mahomes or Brady?