1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You have to take this philosophy because you are in a multi-year rebuild. This team is so bad everywhere you can’t afford to miss on a high pick. Take the best player available in every single round regardless of need, because you NEED just about everything.

Mashing and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rewatched the game again. Not much to like about Mills in this one. It was bad. Showed some arm strength and some escapability at times but the processing and poor decision making was rough.
    Still not going to write him off……yet.
    Give it a couple more games not against elite defenses and see if he makes some progress.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You can’t write him off. He’s a project who never should have been put into that situation in the first place. He has some ability, but he’s about as raw and unpolished as it gets. He should be a third string backup, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s the organization’s fault that he was thrown to the wolves, I just hope he is emotionally strong enough to recover from it and hasn’t been completely ruined already.

Zen Tabak and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you 100%. But let some tell it in here, he’s a scrub.

Zen Tabak and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Not his fault we were shut out, Culley decided against FG. Pats are a better team than us. BUF is #1 defense and #4 offense in our conference, we're near the bottom. Defense started with an INT, but once Bills got rolling we couldn't stop them, they just about covered the spread at the half.

Team game, of course if QB sucks it won't go well, but they're are a variety of factors that contribute to how well as QB does--some he controls, others he does not.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The post you quoted is absolutely correct.

But he is also a scrub right now.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So Fields is a scrub then too?
    Wilson?
    Lawrence?

8. Two Sandwiches

Going by the stats, maybe. But those guys have all showed something during their time on the field. They also had great film in college.

Mills was drafted on potential. It's hard to play on potential this early into your career, when you hardly played in college.

If anything, Mills's stats make him look better than he actually is, due to garbage time drives.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree.
    And to be fair, those other QBs have had some wow moments.
    I still think Mills has the physical ability to be solid. I know a lot of others think he’s a scrub physically (they’re wrong) but he still might/most likely won’t amount to much as a QB. Too many deer in headlight moments

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

In today’s nfl, all the rules are geared towards the offense. There’s no excuse for a starting qb to consistently throw under 200 yards per game, and yet mills threw for 87 yards.

That’s pitiful, he’s actually worse than Osweiler. Just give it up, it’s over.

Fulgore likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And we’re you saying this about Fields last week? Or Wilson?

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

They’ve shown promise. Mills has shown absolutely nothing.

Fulgore and charlieaustin like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Says you.
    What did Fields do before this week?
    Wilson?
    If you say preseason, I’ll get a good laugh. Because in game Fields has done nothing. Wilson had a couple decent throws but was ass until this week. Fields was still not good this week but wasn’t needed to do much

15. Two Sandwiches

I think he has some physical attributes, yes.

I just think that he's so far behind that he's never going to catch up. He's in the wrong situation and it will ruin his career.

The game is clearly too fast for him. I don't think he understand concepts, either, right now. He's made dumb mistakes, even with turning the wrong way on handoffs. He can't throw a deep ball. He's too slow to process. He panics and either doesn't throw or makes a terrible read. These are somewhat coachable things.

Problem is, this team cannot afford to develop him as their starter. You continue to start this kid and you're going to lose money. Even in this town. You're also going to shatter his development. David Carr without the talent.

And I'm all for sink or swim, but it'll be at the cost of this kid's career, potentially. We have to find a quarterback that we believe can be the future within the next draft or two. Because of that, this kid will start more games than he has any business starting. Hopefully for him, he can show enough to earn a backup job somewhere.

How would I approach it?

I'd bench him as soon as Tyrod is healthy. I'd let Tyrod try and earn a three year contract. I'd trade Watson for the best draft haul I could get. I would then immediately start scouting quarterbacks for the next two years worth of draft classes. Be ready to identity if you want one this year or next. That factors into your Watson deal. Then, go out and get your guy in the draft. Build the team around him. Get him two good receivers and a couple better pass rushers and a corner. Hopefully the Watson trade helps this. Then, Tyrod starts for the rookie's first year. Tyrod backs the rookie up the second year. Mills is a third QB for the duration of Tyrod's contract with the hopes that he will take over the back up role after.

My fantasy Watson trade?

Watson to Miami for three firsts, Xavien Howard and Christian Wilkins. Draft Thibodeaux or Stingley with our pick. Get a QB(if you like one) with Miami's pick. If you don't, get one of the WRs that are rated highly. If you don't get your QB this year, be prepared to make your move next year with the remaining picks. If you get your QB this year, get a WR next year in the first.

#275 Two Sandwiches, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    charlieaustin and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would be down for all of this. Absolutely.
    I have always liked Tyrod, but he’s not making it 3 years. The man just can’t stay healthy.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

I wish he could. Some of it hasn't been his fault, though.

Hopefully he comes back and can stay healthy.

The problem with my plan is I said to draft Stingley or Thibodeaux, but with Tyrod, I don't think we'll be able to.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say scrub BUT saying he's a franchise QB or future starter.... HELL KNAW!

If you made it to the league you have talent. I just think Mills will be a backup at best... Mitch Trubiski?

That is why you ABSOLUTELY 100% DO NOT DRAFT A QB there when you're needs were so great everywhere else.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can’t argue with that. That’s most likely what’s in store for him. I’m just not going to write him off……yet.

Two Sandwiches and Zen Tabak like this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Texans had the entire offseason to sign any number of NFL backup QBs to go along with Tyrod Taylor. It is very apparent that Mills should never have been the second QB on any NFL team. He's a project and should have been the third stringer carrying clip boards and getting to know how to play.

cmoak1982 likes this.