1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davies and Dukes must go!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bogey, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think we need to start a petition to get rid of Davies and Dukes. That show is horrible (ok, so the girls can stay). There should be a decent alternative to the 610 morning show and these guys just aren't it.

A lot of this has to do with their "CARR MUST GO" petition which is pretty classless for a hometown radio station to try and run your hometown QB out of town. Sure they can voice their opinions, but to start a petition is just pointless and weak. They aren't even talking about any other options (I might have heard Plummer mentioned, but he is worse than Carr). Why not talk about bringing in some options or seeing what you could get for Carr?

This isn't the main reason for my dislike for these guys, just more of a latest reason.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm not a fan. Granted, I don't listen to the show much, but I heard one of the first ones and Dukes would not shut up about the Lakers. Dude, this is a Houston Radio Show.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i doubt teams are lining up to get Carr. they'll probably just wait for the Texans to release him. it's almost a forgone conclusion. as for the petition, yea, that's pretty ****ty...although he does suck.

4. Bogey

Mostly agree. Not really the point of this thread, more of how these guys suck.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Funny, I think they're getting better, didn't know about he petition.

6. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I agree they are bad, they seem to get on one subject and just harp away at it....eventually I have to just change the station.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I heard Palillo yesterday, who works at the same station, allude to the petition being a dumb morning show type of thing.

I'd be willing to bet neither of those guys will show their face around Carr the rest of the season.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like them as an alternative to 610. I don't need an alternative to 610 that is the same thing as 610. And they aren't.

I don't really care about the petition either way.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're growing on me.

10. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I can't wait until ESPN starts their FM station at the start of the year. I hope it goes with an all-national format. I'm no fan of Colin Cowherd or Dan Patrick, but these local shows are brutal (with the exception of Pallilo and Matt & Adam).

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Ditto. Except I do like Patrick. 790 lost me when they traded Mike&Mike for the assclown show.

Evan

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm still a John and Lance guy.

As much as I b**** about John's obession with SEC football and Lance's hopeless gambling addiction (along with his lame attempts at ripping off Adam Sandler), I still listen every morning. They have good guests and I still think they're pretty entertaining. It seems like they are at least TRYING to talk about the Rockets a LITTLE more.

13. Bogey

That's just it, I don't think they are much different (with the exception of this petition). Just a lesser version of John and Lance, who I don't mind listenning to, just like to hear a different voice every now and then.

14. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

The 9 o'clock hour today for houston sports talk radio was just BRUTAL. On 610 you had the golf hour which I can't stand and then on 790 they had some guys that talked about collecting cards. Freaking horrible!

15. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

What has begun to drive me insane about those shows is the first thing that comes ouf of most callers mouths....."Hey _____ (insert name) I love your show!" or when they have people like Mario Elie on there "Hey Mario, first I just want to say thanks for...................................................................................................................................." then 2-3 minuets later the real conversation starts! Yesterday it was some guy saying "Well I'm going to be a real man (or something like that) and call you Mr. Elie, you were my favorite player, blah blah blah." When that stuff starts I usually switch to the other station and go back a few minutes later. It just drove me crazy how every person that called in had to kiss Mario's a$% before saying or asking anything. Some may call it respect, I call it a nuisance.

One time someone, I think it was one of the guys that switched from 610 to 790, said something about callers always asking how the guys were doing. He said straight up, "you don't have to ask us how we're doing, it's going to be the same as we were doing when the last caller asked!"

Pugs

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

790's Midday show is pretty Good
    790 from midday until after Charlie is best

I hate Vanderwhatever and Rich Lord

Davies has the most irratating voice on radio
    the iiiiiiiiiii he puts infront of every statement is like listening to gravel
    shift
    dukes is a'ight

They talk WAY too much Baseball for the off season
    Not enough Rockets

Rocket River
    The Midday guys are spot on though

17. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

i actually listen to them more now since the last few months. I only keep it on John and Lance during commercials.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I can't stand any of the morning sports talk. I will listen to the midday guys (even though they took the stupid name "Monsters of the Midday" over my "High Noon Huddle" name suggestion). They just talk and dont get super riled up and they dont try to make me laugh becuase they wont.

The petition is nothing but a desperate attempt to get listeners. They know 610 hosts the Texans and could never do something like that. They are pandering to the Vince lovers etc. It is ridiculous and sad. A petition to get rid of Davies and Dukes would be funny.

Dean and Rog still blow away any other morning local talk show in Houston. They even take calls on what they call their "Sports Blubber" segment from time to time so you still get some sports talk. Then they will ask the caller if they have and answer to the sports trivia question even though they never asked one just to buzz the caller.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's annoying as hell to listen to, I agree.

But.....

If I got the chance to talk to the JYD, I would probably act like a little school girl and spend the first 10 minutes telling him what a HUGE fan I am and how I wish he was still playing for the Rockets and how I wish he was coaching for the Rockets and asking him how it felt giving Phoenix the Kiss of Death, etc.

So I really can't complain.

:D

20. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

They're show is getting better. I like Carl Dukes over Davies. I do like having a 2nd local sports show but their petition is dumb.