1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West Opts Out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsPimp, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...g-player-option?ex_cid=ESPNNBATW&sf10266043=1

Indiana Pacers forward David West will not exercise the player option in his contract and will become a free agent July 1, the Indianapolis Star reported Wednesday, citing a source.

West, an 11-year veteran, had a $12.6 million option in his contract for the 2015-16 season.

The bruising forward averaged 11.7 points and 6.8 rebounds per game for the Pacers last season.

West's per-game scoring was its lowest since his second season in the league, but he helped Indiana field a successful second unit.

Pacers center Roy Hibbert is expected to take until Monday to decide whether to pick up his player option.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

We could use a brusier like him on the team.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He could probably be a solid bench PF for a year or two more, but he's not worth more than the MLE.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Will get paid more than MLE.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Lol he would be a starter on our team.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he really wouldn't. He'd be firmly behind DMo and probably behind Smith as well.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He opted out of 12.6 mill.. Meaning he wants to get paid more. Somebody else can have him.

8. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Just get rid of Dorsey. Please

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Who's gonna pay a 34 year old West who put 11 and 7 on a empty Pacers team more then MLE?

Scola is a shoe in for vet min right? West only averaged 2 more points, 1 more rebound in 8 more minutes, while missing like 15 more games, and some how that makes him worth more then MLE? I dont see it.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Eh? David West a bruiser? That is news to me.

He is a good post player but I never thought of him being physical.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it doesn't. it means he wants to secure his last multi year contract at this point in his career or even his desire to play for a contender. but it definitely doesn't mean he wants to get paid more. they already have a general idea of what they can get in the open market.

12. Fantasma Negro

Couldn't put up numbers on a bad team. I'll pass, maybe five years ago

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm sure he wants a multi-year deal. He also might want a chance to catch on with a true contender (Indy should be a lot better, but not like they were).

14. dragician

dragician Member

he's too slow for our kind of offense.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Perhaps there are those who look at something other than box score stats to determine the worth of a player.

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

He wants to get paid more is different than he WILL get paid more. I highly doubt he gets paid more than 10 million per year. He's not very good anymore.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Absolutely, but I don't watch all 82 games for every team except the Rockets, so when I judge players that aren't Rockets I have to go off their stats. It doesn't tell the whole story but it gives a good general idea of a player.

The only way West opting out makes sense to me personally is if he's looking to take a MLE for a contender.

He dropped a 12 mill year with the Pacers (with PG being back, likely a playoff team) which would have made him a FA next year where he could sign to a lot more.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. Why would you opt out of $12.4m? Sounds like he just wants out of IND at all cost, pun intended.

Only other scenario to opt out on that dough is help your team contend by taking a pay cut. Even if George comes back at full strength, that sounds like a stretch.

19. ibm

ibm Member

didnt know he's already 34. thought he's only approaching 30.

then, yeah, why opt out? beats me. :confused:

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's basically a slightly above minimum vet player. Meaning at most he'll get 2-3 million a year LOL.. Why not get paid a lump sum of well over 12 million rather than have to work more years for even less pay. Dumbass...