1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Wells Was 'Half-Drunk' in Perfect Game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rockHEAD, Feb 27, 2003.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

Wells Was 'Half-Drunk' in Perfect Game

NEW YORK - David Wells was "half-drunk" when he pitched a perfect game for the New York Yankees in 1998.

In an upcoming autobiography, the New York Yankees pitcher recounts getting drunk at a "Saturday Night Live" cast party that ended in the early hours of the day he pitched against Minnesota.

"As of this writing, 15 men in the history of organized baseball have ever thrown a perfect game," he writes in galleys of the book. "Only one of those men did it half-drunk, with bloodshot eyes, monster breath and a raging, skull-rattling hangover. That would be me."

The book, "Perfect I'm Not! Boomer on Beer, Brawls, Backaches and Baseball," will be published April 1 by William Morrow, a subsidiary of News Corp.

Wells told the New York Post, another News Corp. company, that he had three hours of sleep that morning, but in the book he writes about his son waking him at 6 a.m., an hour after he went to bed drunk.

[​IMG]

2. codell

codell Member

Anyone remember the Doc Ellis story???

3. johnheath

johnheath Member

I always like to consider myself half sober.

4. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Optimist :rolleyes: :D

5. mateo

mateo Member

Doc Ellis was tripping on acid when he pitched, right?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sounds like a pessimist to me! :D

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Doc Ellis was tripping on acid when he pitched in the 1971 AllStar game and gave up a HR to Reggie Jackson that hit the power transformer on top of the Tiger Stadium roof. It was the longest home run in Tiger Stadium and All Star game history.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I wonder if he could have been arrested if he hit someone with a pitch and they were seriously injured. I guess there probably wasn't a breathalyzer at the game though.

9. heypartner

heypartner Member

don't forget Dave Stewart blocking the views of the coaches while Steve Howe gets ready to start pumping his Dodger blue glove on his jaunt to the mound from the bullpen.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:confused:

11. heypartner

heypartner Member

did he really? If so, that's twice, because Doc Ellis was most definitely tripping on acid during a no hitter. It was a mistake. He didn't think it was his turn in the rotation, until it was too late and his girlfriend (who was tripping to) figured it out.

"Hey, Doc. It says here in the paper that you are pitching tonight!!"

12. heypartner

heypartner Member

Dave Stewart tells the story of standing in front of Steve Howe while he does lines in the bullpen.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I figured it was something like that.

14. heypartner

heypartner Member

oh, and Steve Howe was known for pumping is glove arm as he walked to the mound from the left field bullpen, somewhat like how Al Hrabosky would while walking around the mound taunting the rosen bag.

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

Grover Cleveland Alexander ALWAYS pitched when he was drunk.

Alexander's alcoholism was well known even before Ronald Reagan portrayed it in the movie "The Winning Team." But in spite of rumors of his pitching drunk or badly hung over, alcohol had no discernible effect on Alexander's performance until late in his career. He also suffered from epilepsy, which was sometimes mistaken for drunken behavior. The disease first appeared in 1918 during his service in France with the artillery, which partially deafened him. Despite his problems, Alexander was one of the most successful pitchers in ML history.]/i]

July 23, 1909: Three days after pitching a 1–0 shutout, Grover Cleveland Alexander of the Galesburg (IL) Boosters, tosses a no-hitter against Pekin. He strikes out 10 and walks one. On the 26th he will beat Macon, 1–0, in 18 innings. In that game he doesn't allow a hit until the 10th inning.

16. heypartner

heypartner Member

Well, I'll be!! Galesburg is my hometown.

You learn something new everyday. Galesburg was never a Major League city, though...that's for sure. That must have been some rinky-dink semi-pro league. Where'd you get that link Bob*

17. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

18. heypartner

heypartner Member

cool,

just found out Joe Ferguson, Dennis Doyle and the Reuschel brothers played in Galesburg, too. Jimmie Foxx owned a restaurant there. And of course, everyone knows that the best, forgotten catcher ever in baseball, Jim Sundberg, was born there, right.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I pitched once. I was sober, but nobody thought I was. I walked three hitters, gave up a two foot single and then had home stolen on me. The good news was the ball never got out of the infield :)

0/3 inn, 3 BB, 1 hit, 2 runs.