1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Vanterpool to interview for the Rockets HC Job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 2, 2020.

1. vick

vick Member

Will get job, because he will get a 10% off at any Landrys for life.

YallMean likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lol. Sure. With all the candidates asking for more, we are interviewing Vanterpool for the job. You just never know I guess.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What you really want to do, when you have a squad with 2 MVPs, is take a flier on a coach.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Right, except one of them isn't an MVP caliber player.

I don't really have a super easy solution........ but Westbrook isn't even a top 15-20 player in the league, so what we have AGAIN is Harden.... a bunch of good role players and half a point guard in Westbrook.

Whoever the Rockets hire needs to be someone that has the ability to get the most out of Westbrook...... the best bet for that is going to be Finch or Gentry or possibly Silas...... but I believe going with the smartest guy in the room and that is Chris Finch when it comes to getting something out of Westbrook.

Deuce, D-rock, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I really hope that Finch and Joerger are still on their list. The fact that Feigen had Finch originally but removed him from his newest article gives me doubt. Joerger was never mentioned, so hopefully that just isn't being sent out to the public.

6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

who

Dacamel likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

AP - Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta and general manager Daryl Morey showed up in Portland for their meeting with David Vanterpool to discuss the teams head coaching opening. Both showed up in Daryl Morey's Subaru Forester and Tilman surprised Venterpool with a free chocolate lava brownie from his Rainforest Cafe. Coach Vanterpool seemed surprised by the lava brownie and later complained that it was stale and hard to eat. Daryl Morey presented Vanterpool with a list of duties he would be expected to do in addition to coaching responsibilities. At one point Vanterpool chuckled thinking the list containing entries such as operating as a host at the Rainforest Cafe on Sunday night was a joke. Fertitta did not laugh and Morey rocked nervously in his seat as Fertitta did all the talking and negotiating.

Ultimately all three men went to a local Salt Grass steakhouse to further discuss the job opening. Vanterpool was seen paying the check while Morey waited in the parking lot and Fertitta was seen taking tip money off of tables in the streak house. Later that night Vanterpool said he had no comment concerning the interview other than to say he was no longer interested in coaching the Houston Rockets.

Deuce, D-rock, luckyman76 and 7 others like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Morey and Tilman showed up dressed like this.

[​IMG]

Dacamel and Nook like this.
  9. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

So detailed and so great!

Nook likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Y'all made those same jokes about Nick Nurse being on the "future coach" list, too.... just sayin'. :D

D-rock likes this.
  11. macan

macan Member

lower your expectation guys..
    Tilman wants to buy something cheap..he ain't rich like Ballmer

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ballmer the richest owner in sports though lol

macan likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Totally agree

But I think whomever we hire, it isn't possible to shoehorn Russ and James into the same team unless there is a significant 3rd piece. Getting that third piece is almost impossible, because of the salaries paid to the big 2.

Sadly, if we want to contend during Harden's prime (ie now and maybe the best 2 or 3 years), then we need to get a non-PG as the significant 2nd piece. No idea how to do it, but that isn't my job I guess!

14. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Trade Gordon, House or Covington in a 4 way trade where you get this significant piece... other teams in the trade must possess good draft picks.

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So easily done....

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I agree. We know this from past Morey offseasons... deals that primarily improve Houston are very hard to come by.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never head of the dude, but he seems to be well-liked in NBA circles. *shrug*

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sounds like someone that wouldn't mind the job for $15 an hour.

apollo33 likes this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Well, to trade any of 3 pieces of junk for a significant star is almost impossible...if done, kudos to the legend who does it.