1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Thorpe] Houston, we don't have a problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1994, Dec 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:10073794&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

2. anthony1604

anthony1604 Member

good to see this

3. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Reason and/or patience are NOT welcome here.

1 person likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wait? I thought Harden/Howard/Lin/Mchale all suck/overrated? What is this madness David Thorpe is spewing???

5. SevenMinuteAbs

After a win: I love you Morey! We're contenders!

After a loss: we have no chemistry! Mcfail! Trade (insert player here)!

But I mean we're the same people that were all for full tank mode just a little more than a year ago.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Good video, but im still going to be angry if the Rockets lose to inferior comp. beating the good teams means nothing if the Rockets cant beat the garbage bottom feeders. The "easy" games Rockets lost this season is going to bite them in the ass in the end. It happens every year. instead of them losing out on a playoff spot this year it will be losing out on the #3 seed.

1 person likes this.
  7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is how I feel as well. Can't afford to mess around in the West.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Miami just lost to Detroit today. Name me a championship team or a contender an I can always find a bunch of losses to supposedly inferior teams. And certainly I can find losses when the team is missing arguably its 3rd and 4th best player.

Fans really overestimate the talent difference among NBA teams.

2 people like this.
  9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Do you actually expect people to complain when we win. It makes them seem irrational and idiotic but even though we are a talented team. One of the most talented in the league we are not without faults. And some of those faults become more obvious during losses which is when it is most likely people will complain. For example...

Harden ISO's too much
    Howard makes too manyy turnovers in the paint
    Beverly can't playmake
    Lin is turnover prone
    Parsons has back problems and goes into shooting slumps
    Asik has bad hands
    TJones is young
    Garcia has a bad accent

And last but not least McHale mismanages players minutes.

The reality is most of the problem players have more than enough positive attributes too out weigh the negative. But still it's natural to complain about those things but most folks don't expect an easy fix to them. For example we could trade Asik and improve are starting pf with an Ilyasova but that is not a major upgrade at the 4 and it makes us much weaker at the backup center spot.

There is no question this team could improve if it could acquire better players but if those better players are only marginally better than is the trade worth it. Still when we lose and you see players hold onto the ball or miss free throws or not play defense a fan b****es about it. It's human nature and not exclusive to this board. Get use to it.

10. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

The dream scenario is getting the 8th playoff seed and winning the title. Unlike in the NFL, you still get a respectable draft pick. :cool:

11. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

I don't think Thorpe is saying "Houston, we don't have a problem"

What he is saying is that we are 'legit' as long as we have Howard (and Asik to back him up) and shooters and spacing around them, but have some problems that we need to work out. Close games, playing hard, ball hogging, taking bad shots (but making them) etc.

Pretty much what everybody here knows.

If we weren't legit, people wouldn't be pissed off. It's because we are contenders (maybe with a little tweak here and there, including needing to sort out Asik's issue), people are scrutinizing the team and its players more.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This, sometimes I feel like people don't even watch the game.

Losses happen even to bad teams

13. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

That's like spending all your discretionary on lottery tickets or the stock market hoping you can win big for your retirement, instead of trying to save up for it.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Love this video! The team obviously still has weaknesses, and they addressed some of those. We have had some bad losses, probably none of them worse than the one last night to the Jazz.

But I agree with their assessment that we do have a lot of strengths and are doing a lot of things well. I love that they said a lot of it will depend on what ends up happening with Asik, and that will probably be the main storyline of this season.

All in all, it will be an exciting ride to watch this team grow and learn to play together this season!

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't know what the Miami fansite is like, but if it is anything like this one they are going off about how terrible the team is and they need to trade Lebron.

16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Not necessarily. My post history can confirm a staunch opposition to tanking, and complete support for Morey pre-Harden.

The Martin, Artest, Scola, Dragic, etc deals were all the evidence needed. His plan was right in everyones face, but most would rather get their pitchforks & torches than wait for an opportunity.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You're right CHAMPIONSHIP teams can do that. They know who they are. Rockets don't have the advantage of going through the motions, especially in the west. These terrible games could be the difference between playing an easy 1st round opponent or being matched with the clippers(you know its going to happen). The Heat play in the East. they routinely sit their players, just because. They aren't playing for the regular season. Look how hard Pacers are playing so they can get a slight advantage on the Heat in the playoffs.

The depth on this roster is there to beat bad teams even with our best players out of the game if small effort is given initially. Before the Jazz game no one was worried about all the injuries because the Rockets are so deep. even if outsiders don't know what the Rockets can do WE do. That is where the frustration comes in.

How many times have the Rockets missed the playoffs because of a couple games? missed a favorable match-up in the playoffs by just a couple games? I don't think it unreasonable to be angry after silly losses knowing our history rich with fail.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

This argument makes no sense.

When the Rockets in 93-94, right off their 2nd round loss to Seattle and a string of playoff failures for the past 7 years, and went about .500 in the month of December/January... Who was that team? Was it a championship team or not?

What about Dallas in 2011? Did that team know it was a championship team and wasn't afraid to lose to random scrubby teams? I hope not. Yet they lost to a bunch of crappy teams that year nonetheless.

And if Miami doesn't win the championship this year, wouldn't their loss to Detroit and other bad teams be the reason? Or would it simply be they're older and not as talented anymore?

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

So Miami's roster & coaching staff should have been turned over during year 1? They weren't a championship team, and lost to many inferior opponents throughout the season. Fact is, you're wrong. Freaking out after a single loss to Utah is unreasonable by definition.

Also, what the Rockets did or didn't do a decade ago has no impact on our current roster. The failures of Yao & McGrady set no more precedent than the success of the early 90's.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As far as national perception goes, it was much more important to win the SAS game than it was the Utah one. Now people are starting to respect us, seeing what we did IN San Antonio. Don't forget that Utah has still probably the stupidest home court advantage in the NBA, at least as far as the Rockets are concerned. It's nice that they're irrelevant even with that advantage. Move on with life.