1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern does it again

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry92, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Landry92

Landry92 Member

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This one is valid the way I see it. Who would want front row seats behind the bench when 2 6-7 footers are standing in your way obstructing the view?

At least he's not fining players thousands for not paying for a bottle of water from a hotel, ala Coach Man-gina... :rolleyes:

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

a new rule is implemented, the rule is broken, teams get fined...

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

lets not get carried away with the hating now. teams broke a rule and they will obviously be fined.

Fining a team $10K is probably like fining us $10.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Doesn't fine money go directly to charity anyway? Even when he's muzzling people it's not like he's doing it for the money.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How much money has the league raked in for flopping now?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

People were complaining before the year that players would be forced to sit on the bench and not cheer their teams. That's not what has happened. The NBA has allowed players to get up out of their seats and clap. But just standing for extended periods of time? Unnecessary. I have no problems with this.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i agree if i had tickets behind the bench and could not watch the game because a player was standing up I would be pissed, especially when teams started to do the whole stand up until the first basket is made thing (i know the rockets started to do that first or they were one of the first but I thought it was rude to the patrons right behind the bench)

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

would we know about it if it already has happened?

in the above report, the two teams were not listed, so it might be hard to answer your query.

but to me, it makes sense for the rule that benefits paying fans gets the priority...

the integrity of the game is another issue altogether, but you make a good point JV

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think we would know. Flopping is a big issue among hardcore fans and commentators. If it happened, somebody would have reported it.

I have no problem with Stern fining teams that broke the rule. Whether that rule was reasonable is debatable. Personally I don't have any problem with that rule in itself.

JV made a good point in that the league seems to care about some things over other things. Specifically, it seems to care more about pleasing the wealthy customers more than maintaining the integrity of the game.

So the money issue is not about the fined money. It's about the rationale behind the rule, namely, pleasing the fans who are supposed to make the league rich. If Stern perceived that cleaning out flopping will bring more (or stop losing) "wealthy customers" to the game, you can bet that he would do everything in his power to implement it.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Allegedly, it's going to charity. But knowing Stern......