1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You claimed that "political correctness has left Japan overrun with a negative population growth rate, and negative interest rates".

Please substantiate this statement.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Dude, it's farcical you'd ask me this question after I gave you context. You're not very good with subtext, are you?

If it helps you, put air sarcasm marks around the words "political correctness".

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So, in summary, you made an idiotic and evidently false statement and now try to play it off as "sarcasm". Got it.

4. Northside Storm

Especially when I followed it with

--People who are nativists, I always imagine, must not know how they get their cheap goods and who really builds the innovations that allows them to live their lives. The world is getting better all around them, despite them I suppose.--

along with my thread with Mathloom. Even Cohete understood, and that dude is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

But oh yeah, not like I'm an authority on statements I make myself. :rolleyes:

I appreciate your raging hard-on for me, but keep it to your 243234234 Islam threads.

And yes, the number is sarcasm XD

#24 Northside Storm, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

For borrowers, a negative interest rate is the closest thing to free money that there is, as the negative interest rates put a cost on not doing anything with money. You've taken Econ 101, you should know that.

Despite all of these "bad" things, Japan is still a very rich nation. As are other low population-growth countries.

6. Northside Storm

[​IMG]

Chart provided thanks to FT's Alphaville: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/files/2012/08/RealGDP_percap_Citi1.png

Despite all of those "bad immigrants", the United States is still a very rich nation, and it is growing richer every year. Compare and contrast with Japan.

Now let's take it to Econ 102---

1) How is the Yen performing? Contrast that with the desired result of the central bank.

2) How are Japan's money markets doing? What do credit risk spreads on Japanese banks, especially the main ones associated with the Keiretsu, bode for the future? Compare that to the desired result of the central bank, nay, the "prediction" of the central bank.

3) How is what is happening with Japan's money markets affecting government bond yields? Is that the opposite of what NIRP sought to do?

Let me know your answers, then we can move onto Econ 103 and actual econometrics.

#26 Northside Storm, Jun 11, 2016
  7. Cohete Rojo

Oh wow a chart. Japan has a lower GINI coefficient than the US, so apparently that "real GDP" gets spread-out more evenly. As far as I can tell, Japan isn't exactly a crappy place to live; Tokyo is still one of the most expensive cities in the world, and Japan is still home to cutting-edge companies and such.

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Oh, wow. A chart. Thanks for the detailed information, (((egghead)))!

9. Northside Storm

Oh wow, an utter inability to respond to basic economic questions.

---

https://angel.co/japan vs. https://angel.co/united-states for cutting-edge companies.

And Canada has a lower Gini coefficient then both America and Japan--thanks for giving the home team some daps ;)

As for living in Japan, I've stayed in Tokyo quite a few times. Too bad Tsukiji is moving, but I'd still suggest Sushi Yoshi + take (since the swear filter is being annoying), especially if you're staying around Ginza (you want to stay in Ginza). Great city, just happens to be in a country that has been stagnant in economic growth for decades, and hasn't been progressing as a result.

---

None of which really has to do with your inability to understand the implications of NIRP even when the right questions are asked of you.

Guess we're going to have stop at Econ 102.

#29 Northside Storm, Jun 11, 2016
  10. Cohete Rojo

Japanese have an average valuation that is $100,000 greater than American. Nice, I suppose. Back on topic.

Please, in your best Econ 102 voice, explain to me why Qatar, with all it's magnificent population and "real GDP" growth, is better than Japan.

I await your rebuttal.

11. Northside Storm

Japan startups = 651 COMPANIES
    United States startups = 105,654 COMPANIES

Japan startups per capita: 0.000005
    US startups per capita: 0.00033

A factor of 66x...

NICE. lol.

You don't think very deeply do you. There's a pretty obvious reason why the number of companies might be lower for Japanese companies and the average valuation would be higher...but in any case "back to the topic" of seeing you flaunt your economic ignorance.

---

VERY SUSTAINABLE.

Seeing that you have now tried to compare a one-trick pony resource economy with a much lower base GDP...with diversified, mature OECD economies that lead the world...huh.

You also seem to be confusing growth with current state. Bob is growing faster than Jane. That doesn't mean Jane can't be taller now.

I think you should take Econ 100. Maybe Econ 99.

#31 Northside Storm, Jun 11, 2016
  12. Northside Storm

actually, on second consideration, take Drakeonomics. elevate your game where you're at.

"the square root of 69 is 8 something, right?"

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We'll be in the middle of Western Europe when the vote takes place, which will be interesting. In 1982, we were on the Greek island of Ios when the Falklands War broke out. That was a trip. Heck, a trip and a half. There was a beautiful topless wind surfing instructor at one of the beaches on Ios. Laying back and watching her work was a real pleasure. The pupils kept looking at her quite amazing breasts and falling over. It was hilarious. I still have photographs of her at work. We stayed on that island for 10 days. Our room looking down at a lovely beach on a small cove was around $5 a night. Cat Stevens had a house on top of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean at a different part of the island. It was at a stunning location. We didn't get to see him, though. A fellow that owned a restaurant, a really nice guy that we became friends with, like you might have happen from time to time on a trip like that, when you're at the same spot for a while, said he was on tour.

I hope Great Britain stays in the European Union, for the reasons I gave back in February. Leaving would be a step the country would come to regret, in my humble opinion.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rk73t-OBEpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">EU referendum poll:<br>Remain: 47%<br>Leave: 53%<br>(via ICM, both online and phone / 10 - 13 June)</p>&mdash; Britain Elects (@britainelects) <a href="https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/742391533492637696">June 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>SIREN ... Lead of tomorrow's @<a href="https://twitter.com/thetimes">thetimes</a> of London: "Britain on course for Brexit after poll surge: Seven-point lead in record YouGov survey"</p>&mdash; Mike Allen (@mikeallen) <a href="https://twitter.com/mikeallen/status/742472902600232960" data-datetime="2016-06-13T21:45:09+00:00">June 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Man this seems like a terrible decision on their part. AT least they have control over their currency which would be my main objection if I was a member country...

18. Cohete Rojo

As I said: Japanese are more efficient - just look at Japanese vs US cars.

Funny thing, is without Qatar's natural gas, Japan is pretty much screwed unless it can find another supplier (i.e. US, Australia). Still though, I would choose Japan over Qatar, Norway, or any other "one-trick" pony resource economy and it's bull**** "growth". These countries are incredibly wealthy with lots of population growth, but so what?

Japanese cars > German cars
    Japanese electronics > German electronics
    etc

About the only thing I choose German over Japanese are lenses.

19. Cohete Rojo

I think the UK or whatever they want to be called will fair just fine with an exit or no exit.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I bought UVXY at $10.13 per share, so I am thrilled that the British are acting like idiots!