1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Andersen - Disappointment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Are the Rockets losing patience with DA?

1. Yes

27.9%
  2. No

72.1%
  1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Last night's telecast had Bill and Clyde making several comments about being disappointed in Andersen's game, most notably his FG%. It caught me off guard, as I haven't felt that Andersen has been struggling that much.

It was also one of the few times I've heard Bill outright criticize a Rockets player. He said something to the effect of, DA was brought in hyped up as a shooter, but he hasn't brought anything to the table yet. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but Bill seemed to be insinuating that he was losing patience with DA's struggles. I wonder if the Rockets organization is likewise losing patience with DA?

Andersen
    4.4 PPG
    .409 FG%
    2.2 RPG
    11.4 MPG

What do you think? Andersen played a season low 5 minutes last night.. was this a product of the match up, or are the Rockets losing patience with the rookie?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not claiming to have lost faith in DA, more asking if you think the Rockets are *starting* to lose patience with him. This wasn't meant to be a knee-jerk thread to DA's performance, but more of trying to see if there was anything to Bill Worrell's comments.

#1 LongTimeFan, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It's been 5 games.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

they knew what kind of player he was when they traded for him. His a above average shooter that doesn't have the skills to play physical yet. Hopefuly he will get use to this type of the game this season.

4. LongTimeFan

Which is precisely why Worrell's comments caught me off guard. Usually he's a lot more positive in his comments, talking about how they'll break out of their slump and just have to stick through it. However, last night he seemed to be really down on DA. The Rockets have had all of training camp / practice / pre-season to see what the guy can do.. I'd say it's possible that they're losing faith in him if he hasn't shown anything yet in practice either.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Scola had a rough time in his first year with the Rockets as well and he's by far the better talent. It'll take some time. Andersen, as Herm Edwards eloquently states, is who we think he is. Andersen has a good shooting stroke but:

1. Getting inconsistent minutes
    2. Transitioning into the NBA
    3. Getting outrebounded time and time again

Isn't helping his cause either.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Patience.

1 person likes this.
  7. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

Yet another "Why did we get HIM?!" thread. Patience is gold. Remember it also took Scola few months to figure it out?

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I thought that was Dennis Green.....

9. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

He will improve his rebounding overtime. He has all the basics skills down. He is doing good job trying to box out players and he will learn to do it efficiently with experience. Remember the over the back calls being called on Oden and Prezebella?

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

"So Far" should be a choice.

Andersen is struggling with his confidence. I knew he would be soft on the inside but he was supposed to make up for it with his offense.

There were times during the LA game when he was matched up with Bynum. Andersen would go to the top of the key to get the ball and Bynum would sag WAY off him. Andersen is supposed to be a good shooter he should have taken those shots with confidence.

I think when he stops forcing stuff inside and gets confidence in his range he will be OK. I'm not giving up on him yet. If you can win championships in one of the best leagues in the world you have to have some skills. Right?

11. steddinotayto

Haha you are correct. :D ;)

12. Prince

Prince Member

This thread is a disappointment!!!

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I don't know what Worrell said, but the offensive moves I've seen from Andersen have impressed and surprised me.

His rebounding and defense, however, fails.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Herm Edwards
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dennis Green

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_N1OjGhIFc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_N1OjGhIFc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is pretty bad. Channing Frye would have been the better choice, Oh well.

UNLEASH THE POPS!!!

16. steddinotayto

Thanks, I had gotten my Coors Light commercials mixed up haha

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Well said. After 5 games Yao was the biggest overall #1 pick flop in history. Luis looked like he couldn't stay on the court, and we thought Landry (who didn't play) was egg on Morey's face, even for a second round pick.

As I remember, AB barely played but he looked intriguing in preseason.

If you want to go back, I do remember Cassell and Horry's early first year's games. Train wreck.

You want to back to Clyde in Portland? I was worried my fellow alum wasn't even ever going being a scrub in the NBA - Adelman was looking at him like he was r****ded.

So this is obviously a ridiculous thread, but Morey and RA have been very comfortable with this acquisition in the preseason and I can see Andersen becoming comfortable and contributing early. Five games are irrelevant to rookies and this team this year.

I'm very proud of what I see.

18. LongTimeFan

Apparently so is your reading comprehension. I apologize - I should have worded the title differently. Half the people will come in here without reading the initial post and think I'm making a knee-jerk thread to DA's stats. I did not intend that - I was just trying to explore Worrell's comments further and wonder if some in the organization felt the same as Bill.

He actually has a pretty nice back to the basket game. I'm not sure how effective it will be when the scouting reports get out on him, but for now his turn around jumper is pretty money.

As our backup to Yao though, he's going to have to learn the defensive side of the ball. Currently, I would say he's the biggest liability on our team as far as playing both sides of the ball. Chuck Hayes has taken his game to another level this year, so I don't even consider him an offensive liability.

I believe in Rick though.

I take exception to this part. Take that "this year doesn't matter" attitude back to preseason. The Rockets WILL make the playoffs this year.. no longer should we think of this year as a development year. We have a damn good team, with some damn good players (albeit, not all star)

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A lot of people don't like those commercials I think they are hilarious! Even if I DVR'd something I'll wait and watch before I FF

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

way too early to pass any judgment on him

but i havent been too impressed on certain things

he looks really lost out there on offense at times he has the shot and is hesitant to take them

other times (jazz game) when he takes the shot he shouldnt

hopefully his shot selection will improve and he gets more aggressive as the season progresses and he becomes more comfortable with the offense

He has not shot the ball well at all for someone who is a shooter...personally his mechanics seem odd to me (he has this weird body hitch) but it could be a lot of these 'new offense/situation' jitters

last night he had the ball on the perimeter and didnt even look for his shot though he was wide open he needs to take those shots

his defense and rebouding suck and will not allow him to see a lot of floor time unless he improves on those areas greatly, but he is 29 if he isnt a adequate defender/rebounder by now he probably will never be and if Landry sometimes has issues seeing the floor at times because he doesnt defend/rebound as well as he should then you can see how it would go with DA

in two months it maybe different (i really hope so for the sake of the team) but right now DA seems to be a good situational player to have on the roster for matchups but as a regular rotational player he is not fitting in right now

but its been 5 games i wouldnt worry too much yet. DA wasnt brought in to be a big time difference maker for this team anyway (or least I never thought that was the case)