1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Alridge]: Lakers want Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fya, Mar 18, 2005.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

Overrated. You should settle for Kate Beckinsdale instead.

2. msn

msn Member

Some of these posts remind me of a four-year-old arguing with his parents about the sky being blue. Everyone around knows how ridiculous the "argument" being presented is, yet somehow the mental neophyte in question defends his position all the more loudly!

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I like a girl with classy kinda bueaty...i.e. Ashly Judd

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Insanity: (a) Such a mental condition, as, either from the existence of delusions, or from incapacity to distinguish between right and wrong, with regard to any matter under action, does away with individual responsibility. (b) quoting John Lopez in your signture ;)

5. akuma

akuma Member

of course, you can have 3 or even more than 3 max players on one team. there's something called the Bird exception as well as the luxury tax. anyone remember Portland with Pippen, Sheed, Damon, Kemp (Kemp was supposed to get 20+ million at one point), Sabonis, Steve Smith, and Dale Davis (probably wish they kept and paid for Jermaine)? Now they have Abdur-Rahim, Randolph, Damon, and Ratliff. New York has Houston, Marbury, Penny, and Tim Thomas (who makes close to max) and were still willing to spend 30+ million a year for Crawford, Kurt Thomas, Mo Taylor, Malik Rose, and Jerome Williams (what the hell are they thinking?). Dallas has Finley, Nowitzki, Van Horn, Dampier, Stackhouse and are wishing they paid for Nash. Speaking of Nash, Phoenix will soon give Amare a max contract giving them 3 along with Marion. there's also New Jersey who has Kidd, Carter, Jefferson and still overpaid for Collins, Cliffy, and Mourning. Sacramento once had 5 near max players in CWebb, Bibby, Miller, Divac and Peja (who's going to opt out next year and ask for max money). Minnesota once had KG (at 28 million), Sprewell (couldn't feed his family with 14 million), and Szczerbiak. Boston has Pierce, Walker and LaFrentz. Philadelphia has AI, Webber, and Mashburn. And the Lakers have Kobe, Grant and Odom and are still lottery bound. Miami used to have Grant, Mourning, Jones, Mason, and Hardaway.

lots of teams overpay and most still go nowhere. New York has the most inept ownership/management in the league. but there are teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Seattle, and Phoenix that have the most value. Especially Detroit who doesn't have a single max player with Ben Wallace and Billups largely underpaid, as well as a very good rookie contract player in Prince.

so in theory it is possible to put a max player at every position and fill the bench with rookies and veterans accepting the minimum.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

BTW, regarding the animosity from some Suns fans towards the Rockets...

I think as someone has already said, our earlier playoff history agains them during the championship runs has something to do with it, especially with the older fans who can remember the agony of defeat in those years.

Another more recent issue I think is probably the whole Amare v. Yao debate (i.e. who is better? who deserved rookie of the year? who should start for the All-Star game? who will carry his team to a championship first? etc.) I think the whole Amare v. Yao thing is the primary reason why. I think the last performance by Yao against Amare, and his total demolition of Amare in that game, probably got 'em more pissed than anything else, especially after they though they had won the whole debate about who is better/more dominant.

But a message to Suns fans: you will have further disappintment, The Wall of Yao will eventually destroy your team and your hopes, much like Olajuwon did. History repeats itself, isn't that a b****!;) :p

7. pcheung

pcheung Member

OK, I don't quite follow. "...Demanding too much..." so you think in 2 yrs when Yao's max extension (and he will be getting the max) kicks in he won't be worth it?

Or do you think the current 18/9 is not worth his rookie scale salary?

Or do you think in 2 yrs KG will A) Be worth his $30 mill salary AND B) We'll be able to pick him up for some expiring contracts and some naked pics of Kevin McHale?

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

seems like we have one of these "Yao is leaving" giangtic threads at least 1 or 2 times a month.

9. akuma

akuma Member

is that another way of saying doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I guess it's a testoterone thing. I couldn't help it. Controling the urge is difficult. Not that I'm admitting to be a "mental neophyte". :D

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

KG doesnt make $30 million, he took a paycut or resturctured his contract to give the Wolves more flexibility

12. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Oh...okay...this was my first time really reading something from him...

13. msn

msn Member

Man, that is the sole cause of 99% of Internet bickering. Once I was bickering elsewhere, and I was correctly called out by someone else who demanded we stop the "measuring contest". :D

14. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, the Rockets haven't done anything at all ... except IMPROVE EVERY YEAR HE'S BEEN HERE.

And it's not solely because of Yao's development, which he admits is a step behind other players of his draft.

We've made him an integral part of a team who should be a championship contender for a LONG time.

People don't badmouth the Rockets organization. In fact, free agents ALWAYS say nice things about the Rockets. Not to mention - no state income tax.

We traded for TMac - a guy who came here because he wanted to win championships WITH YAO.

Uh ... yeah, I'm pretty sure we've made our intentions known to Yao that he's in our future plans and we all think he's the bee's knees.

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Does anyone remember if Suns fans were ever mad about the Barkley trade?

16. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Don't wanna take any chances w/ LA or any othter team. Rox should and will lock up Yao to long term deal.

So LA should back off and enjoy Chris Mihm....LOL.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Sura faints.

18. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Honestly...and I am being honest...i like the reparte. I really didn't think edc and I were bickering. ;)

19. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao has told lots of his Chinese sportswriter friends that he does not want to play with Kobe.

Case closed unless LAL trades Kobe for Bron.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So let me reprhase my question

How did the Rockets "endager Yao's loyalty"?

Releasing Rudy because he was sick and the team needed a coach who can actually be there?

Trading Steve, Cat, and Cato for TMAC? So far, who's got the better end of the deal?

Rockets more than showed their loyalty to Yao by providing him a "winning team"