1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Joerger?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, May 7, 2016.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey can't do anything meaningful this season...

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey still has a bunch of low level coach to interview...

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Or Morey is waiting for some deadline to pull the trigger?

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Same here. Or there's really something going on behind the scene between Morey and Les, otherwise all this absolute silence doesn't make sense...

5. hvic

hvic Member

I just feel the Rockets will be the girl that no one ask to Prom during the offseason again

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't get the Joerger obsession. I mean I do, but I don't.

Yes, Memphis overachieved their expected W-L again this year, finishing 42-40, and they've done that for 5 straight years, starting under Hollins.

Two explanations come to mind:

The conventional 1) - Hollins/Joerger are geniuses who get more from their parts than anybody else.

or 2) Expected W/L isn't very good at providing forecasts of the snail-paced Grit & grind style, whose implementation coincided with this period of overachievement.

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

He could never get Memphis over the hump. Always expecting to do well but never actually doing well enough to be contenders. Maybe it's the training staff or who - but he struck me as an 'ok' coach.

I suspect we have positioned ourselves for Durant and would likely hire someone out of left field - or bring on JVG/Mark Jackson (who have hinted during broadcast that coaching is in the future).

8. malakas

malakas Member

Oh really? So we will wait till july and meanwhile all the other teams without a coach will have long chosen by then the rest of the best remaining.
    What an idiotic plan.

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

His tenure in Memphis seemed much like RA's here, as in they never had a healthy roster, but they got the most out of what they had. And they had a balanced defense and offense.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I doubt that's what's going on. Why would Durant sign here if we didn't have a coach in place?

I said it last week, but it bears repeating. Maybe no veteran head coach wants to take over this team. At least not right now. If the Rockets strike out on all the big-name free agents this summer(as I suspect they will), they're potentially looking at a 2-3 year rebuilding project. Maybe even longer if Harden decides he wants no part of that and demands to be traded within the next year(the front office won't let him walk in 2018 for nothing).

If this is the short-term future of the Rockets, why sign onto that?

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That seems like a stretch. Very rarely are there sure fire coaching jobs available. The Rockets job with Harden is probably more attractive than a large majority of the jobs that coaches usually get to choose from.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, is this another coach that didn't have enough interest in the Rockets to even sit down for an interview? Coaches looking at Les, Morey, and Harden and saying no thank you.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't know at this point...but even if we'll miss on big names, next season can't be worse than this.

Yep, but i think Harden/Beasley will eventually know something few days after the Thunder are out of the playoffs.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably more likely that he would rather secure millions of guaranteed money immediately, from a dumb organization, rather than get in line alongside 15 other coaches, for a smart organization, who is actually doing its due diligence and making sure it picks the right coach.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

All major news outlets are verifying 4 Mill per year deal for Joerger from Kings hinging on final talks

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Joerger would be a great fit in Houston. You can read up on him with the below links.

But sadly, appears like the Rockets are passing on him since the Kings are moving in.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ESPN sources say that the Kings are hopeful today of finalizing a four-year, $16 million deal with Dave Joerger to be their new coach</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/729709741568491521">May 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i really hope we are trying to compete here. Vogel could easily head to Memphis or NYC, and who knows what the JVG situation is. I'm growing slightly uncomfortable with the silence.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not sure the Rockets are a smart organization. I'm mainly concerned that the coaches most in demand seem to be dismissing the Rockets without even an interview.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Is it? Harden put up great numbers last season(after November anyway), but the chemistry on this team was toxic and he had at least something to do with that. Plus, he refuses to play defense and reportedly was involved with the firing of McHale. And let's not forget he's a free agent in 2 years and may not wanna be here much longer if we're gonna struggle to make the playoffs much less compete for a title.

Like I said, if the Rockets don't sign any big name free agents this summer, suddenly this job doesn't seem that appealing. The roster will be worse than the one in Harden's first season here when they won 45 games. At least that one featured Parsons, Asik, Lin, Delfino, Brooks, Cisco back when he could still play, and Bev back when he was actually a good defender.