1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Chappelle successfully torpedoes affordable housing in Ohio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dayop, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Dayop

Dayop Member

Oberer Homes can move forward with a new development in Yellow Springs, but without an affordable housing component initially promised to the village, after council voted against the village’s own plan Monday night.

The village and Oberer had worked together to produce a plan that would include duplexes and affordable housing along with single-family homes in a 53-acre area along Spillan Road at the south edge of town.

The village initially asked for the development to advance affordable housing in the village, including an area that the village would later be able to develop into affordable housing, as well as more duplexes and townhomes.

But Monday night, after complaints from numerous residents, including comedian Dave Chappelle, village council voted 2-2 with one abstention on the revised “planned unit development” zoning.

That means the zoning reverts to what was previously approved, with 143 single-family homes on the lot, with the homes starting at about $300,000, according to village documents. The village annexed about 34 acres of the land into the village last summer.

The development that council voted on Monday night would have included 64 single-family homes, 52 duplexes and 24 townhomes with an additional 1.75 acres to be donated to the community for affordable housing to be built later.

The Yellow Springs village council president wrote a memo describing the housing plans.

Multiple Yellow Springs villagers, including entertainer Dave Chappelle, lobbied against the project. Chappelle even threatened to pull his business interests from the village, which include a plan for a restaurant called “Firehouse Eatery” and comedy club called “Live from YS.”

Chappelle’s company, Iron Table Holdings LLC, bought the former Miami Twp. fire station at 225 Corry St. in December.

Chappelle repeated his threat again on Monday night in the village council meeting.

“I am not bluffing,” he said. “I will take it all off the table.”

Other villagers cited concerns with traffic flow, problems with a proposed homeowner’s association and issues with water management, but several villagers said they also felt that council had not included them in the process with Oberer.

One resident, Matthew Kirk, a member of the citizen’s board who worked on the project, said he was initially excited but his view later “soured.” He argued that the plan was really two projects rather than one: a single-family home development next to a condo development.

“I think it’s important to kind of understand the framing and also understand how those products attract different homebuyers,” Kirk said.

Two council members, Brian Housh and Marianne McQueen, voted for the revised project mixing homes, duplexes and townhomes. Council members Carmen Brown and Lisa Kreeger voted against the project. Kevin Stokes, who lives near the project and has previously stated he opposes the project, recused himself because he felt he had a personal interest in the vote.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/loc...e-others-speak-up/WFSD7UXAYVECLOFCZPWU4IV4FE/

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Homes starting a 300k in a small town outside of Dayton Ohio is now affordable housing? Damn son.

Wealthy person doesn't want poor people near him, more news to come at 11.

Or maybe he's just an old man who doesn't like change, wants to block any development of his childhood town.

Two Sandwiches and Rocket River like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No. The affordable housing was going to be a condo development adjacent to the 300k SFHs.

Chapelle is basically that towns lone benefactor so he can call the shots. Good for him. I'm not sure I would act any differently in his shoes.

The problems with the housing, Healthcare, and education markets in this country are systemic and go way beyond single actors.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, it goes beyond single actors because theres lots of stupid zoning rules and NIMBYism in many , but outdated rules that constrain housing supply is exactly the problem.

Even the whole "affordable housing" thing here is a red herring. The economics of housing are so constrained in most places that even if you increase capacity by building "not affordable" housing, the knock on effect of supply increases helps lower prices anyway (w some exceptions, like those stupid supertall condos for Russians to launder money near Central Park)

Basically, just help build more housing in places where people want to live by removing legal barriers to do so .

AkeemTheDreem86 and DonnyMost like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another article says residents who oppose the development don’t want traffic and other issues near them.
    Yeah welcome to inflation and housing of 2022

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This supply problem is a big deal in medicine too. There are artificial and unnecessary constraints limiting the number of practicing medical providers (nurses too) that has kept the availability of care low and the cost high on purpose. It's the whole "got mine, eff yall" attitude where med pros and their associations are eager to pull up the ladder behind themselves as it serves their own interests.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum

I get it. He doesn't want non contributing members to live next to contributing members

hahahahahaha
    @J.R.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@J.R. is officially on my Curley brackets ignore shitte list

J.R. likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think I care at all about real estate projects in butt-**** Ohio. However, I don't understand how Chappelle thinks a restaurant and a comedy club are going to make money in a town of 3,700, an hour away from Columbus or Cincinnati (30 minutes from Dayton, which is a small town itself). I know he's real famous and all and people will make the trek once to check it out, but wouldn't he do a ton more business in Columbus or Cincinnati?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He probably is not real interested in making money and just wants a place nearby to work on material.

Depends on what he is charging for food or drinks, if he makes money anyway, it could be a destination spot.

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

12. tinman

Supporting Member

People in Ohio are bored

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess he expected this:

Rocket River

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sounds very NIMBY and I get that some might be disappointed in Chapelle. This goes though to that maybe we expect more out of celebrities and really shouldn't I like Chapelle, I think he's funny and can be insightful but I never thought he was a saint or looked to him for moral guidance.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What does JA think about (sub)urban development in small towns???

SOMEBODY GET JA

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

apparently, just cheap headlines not full context of the plan he was opposed to
    also Charlamagne said

"white people mad at a powerful black man"

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can build affordable housing on 1.75 acres. That's not an insignificant amount of land.

They were worried about property value obviously.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So essentially modern day redlining?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't if that's the right term but call it what you will.

This may not be based on race given that poor whites also live in affordable housing. And they aren't denying individual mortgages or anything.

Ironically affordable housing in small quantities are usually good for neighborhoods. Lower property taxes and no effect on crime usually is a net positive for home values.