1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dating/Relationships] - Casual Dating and the "Boyfriend Muscle"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rasselas, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Might be that people become comfortable around one another.

2. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The article reminds me of "That Awkward Moment" movie.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have time to read the piece right now but will try to read it when I get some more time later.

I think your premise is right and being good at being a boyfriend, the same applies as a girlfriend, is something that takes practice. Like other muscles though it is easier to maintain continued fitness than to try to suddenly get into shape after getting completely out of shape. In the case of dating for single people it might be better to cultivate the qualities and habits of being a good partner even while single than try to suddenly change because you're in a relationship.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I'de like to read the counter article, i'm much better and being a boyfriend than picking up chicks...

5. Nook

Nook Member

Many women do not demand that men be good boyfriends, so many men see no point in going outside their comfort zone. If you are banging regularly, doing what you want and she doesn't expect more...... that is what happens.

Oh anf Megan Manfull, this isn't an invitation to tell us what you expect in a relationship. Getting your butthole bleached doesn't mean you get to go all BIGTEXXX and control his thoughts and emotions.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The counter article?

Your girlfriend is lucky, you get married.... have good credit, a nice home and family and die at 85.... no one wants to read that.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

People are self centered. I think with people obsessing over themselves, they lose the ability to be partners. People care more about their life and want everything. It makes it impossible for many to be in a relationship and sacrifice a part of themselves. People want their cake and to eat it. People don't want commitment because of this.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I disagree with the article. At first it describes me to a tee (and most "millennials')... that's how I am with 99% of women, sure. But that's because they aren't special. The rare times I find one worth investing my time in it's easy to go all-in. It isn't a muscle. It comes naturally. And it's a journey you take together, the burden isn't all on you.

Sounds like an angle of someone trying to force a real relationship rather than finding the right person and letting things fall into place organically.

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Ziggy -- 100% fair point, and well said. I view that, essentially, as the traditional philosophy about meeting someone: When the right person comes along, it just *works*. It's easy. It happens naturally.

And for many, many people, that is certainly true. History proves it.

So while I have no doubt that's often the case, I'm exploring the counter... If it NEVER feels natural -- I mean, never -- maybe there's a bit of work that needs to be done. You're right, that shouldn't mean forcing a relationship -- (ugh, who wants that?) -- but for some, at least, it might mean challenging ourselves to step up our game, try a little harder, make more of an effort.

Good stuff.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Sometimes it seems like girls are always attracted to guys who already have a girlfriend for one reason or another even without knowing he's taken. Girls can almost sense when a guy has been single for a long time and works as repellent. Like this guy can't keep a girl around, stay away from him.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Boyfriend Handle

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's more about what you're looking for in a "relationship" than what you do while you're in it, as a "relationship" means different things to different people. You're looking at the symptoms, not the cause.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Oh, also, the writing was good. I didn't want to click away from the page or get bored at any point.