1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's job has to be on the line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Even with this season in ruins, at the moment, I could not disagree more with firing Morey.

Despite this season, Morey is one of the top GMs in the league. If he were to be fired, he'd be snatched up by a number of teams immediately.

And my follow up question is always, "and replace him with who?" You can be upset with the results of the season, but Morey has more than proven himself an elite GM and to fire him would be to make a bad situation infinitely worse.

Batman Jones, BigM, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

The NBA is a results oriented business so if a team takes a drastic step back the person who is in charge of the roster needs to be held accountable. This is like the 2nd year after a WCF berth that the Rockets have taken a step back and that's all on Morey IMO

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

The number of NBA players who would willingly sign a reduced-pay contract "for the good of the team" is tiny. You could probably count on two hands the number of elite-level guys who have done that, ever.

Morey paid CP3 the max because that's what the agreement was when he agreed to come play for us. And Morey knows he can figure out SOME way of dumping that contract if it comes down to that at some point, although the Ryno thing probably made him give it some serious thought.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why would Morey's job be on the line? because we aren't good this year? who is gonna be a better GM than Morey ...other than say Danny Ainge and RC Buford? Morey has a lot to answer for with this current team, but i don't see how our prospects of a championship are greatly improved by getting rid of last year's GM of the year.

...now last year's coach of the year; that might be a different story ;)

Vivi, Little Bit and Garner like this.
  5. WestendMassive

The Rockets have 1 player above 6'6 that could be considered a good nba player. Everyone else is inconsistent or inexperienced, or both.

That's a horrible failure of roster building. Morey's formula clearly underrates height. Always has. Why doesn't he understand that length makes a big difference in basketball?

kjayp and bmelo like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Getting rid of Morey would be a mistake at this point in time.

xtruroyaltyx and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

1. DaRnelles hands were tied regarding CP3. That deal was made last year and it was a VERY SMART deal last year. Essentially giving CP3 a 5 year contract instead of a Mad 6

2. Tilman gave offseason directive based on money and plausible market scenarios that had plan A,B,C etc. Maorys hands were tied with a few curveballs thrown into the mix. Specifically the Ariza deal, the analytics on his available replacements and then the mis-step that analytics can’t account for—— team chemistry and overall hunger. This is why with all options available DM opted to save the MLE (flexibility) and this let it ride with a wild card in Melo knowing the fact that we were talented enough to dominate/get by in the regular season with what we had...... just to button up by postseason and run it back

And here we are....

The plan hasn’t panned out like they thought and Darnelle is one of the most talented GMs to adjust and correct the path in the midst of an ever changing environment. We will be fine .... offering 4 picks was a sign of all in and slight desperation but I repeat, we will be fine.... at least with more time MoreLee will have more data and be able to assess the correct path moving forward.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed.

I think he’s made some errors, but we don’t know if those errors were solely his call. Tilman may have had some financial input.

And even if all the blame is placed on Morey I’d give him a mulligan.

Reason is he’s chasing one of, if not THE most star studded teams of all time. There has to be risk involved in order to try to beat them. And even if he made all the right moves there’s still no guarantee it works.

Plus, I think several players that he had to count on are underperforming for whatever reason.

I’d definitely keep Morey and let him fix this. I think he can.

BigM likes this.
  9. THEGLIDEc

THEGLIDEc Member

I'm not going to defend Morey for everything but can we make it a rule that if you think he should go, you have to say who you think we should hire to replace him?

10. sheb

sheb Member

Didn’t that process guy in phili get fired ?

Let’s hire him

11. Garner

Garner Member

Exactly.

Morey, during the preseason, stated multiple times that in order to contend with the warriors, they’d have to accept additional risk into the team profile. That introduced es additional variability of outcome.

Too many people are here reacting to the results instead of the approach.

Did it work? No. At least not where we stand today. But do I agree with the method and reasoning? Absolutely.

BigM and Vivi like this.
  12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Chemistry year to year is *not apples to apples either. We've seen identical teams fielded year to year countless times and have opposite seasons. Can you guarantee all these shooting slumps would have been any different? Of course you can't.

I would also add Moute hasn't played so that has nothing to do with chemistry. No chemistry if they don't play. Anderson did not come back well from his injury - you think he would have found chemistry this year with us? That just leaves Ariza - who is 1 year older.

For the record Ariza shot 18% from 3 the last 7 games of the regular season and shot 20% from three against the Warriors and ended with his abysmal 0-12 performance in game 7.

13. SuperKev

Actually statistically we do. But shooting can be quite streaky. Let's see what happens before we declare the wheels have fallen off.

14. SuperKev

No. These strategies produced 65 wins last year. There is a random chance any change will not achieve the desired result but when playing blackjack and having an accurate count of the cards more often than not you win.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

People act like this summer we were not in luxury territory, with the no tax MLE and a lottery pick to play with.

16. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Morey needs to sign a leader!

But who?????!

17. Garner

Garner Member

...Chris Paul...

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, we're about 25% into the season now I'd say one of the wheels have fallen off already.

19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

****r

#79 jerryclark, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if we fire morey, we might as well hire sam hinkie because we'll be done for.