1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey to be on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LegendZ3, Feb 21, 2008.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah, because there aren't any 35 year old guards playing well. :rolleyes: I hope the Rockets can get 38 year old Sam Cassell! Oh, that's right, he won't play well after being traded or waived. That's what common sense says. Still, I wouldn't mind getting 38 year old Sam Cassell to help us match up against 34 year old Steve Nash and 35 year old Jason Kidd, who obviously won't play like a 25 year old after being traded, despite the fact he's doing things that Magic and Oscar Robertson were doing at 23 years old. Meanwhile, it makes a ton of sense to give up on a 21 year old player.

#121 RocksMillenium, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Put down the pipe. 35 year old guards who are still productive (or even still in the league) are rare. You know that.

3. RocksMillenium

Aside from Sam Cassell and Jason Kidd and Steve Nash (well he's 34) and Clyde Drexler and Ricky Pierce and Gary Payton and Dale Ellis and Michael Jordan and Avery Johnson and Eddie Johnson and John Stockton and Jeff Hornacek and Eddie Jones you're right.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

And these guys equal a fraction of a percent of all the NBA guards in league history. The majority of whom were out of the league or sitting at the end of the bench at 35. I see the guys you have chosen were All Stars or near All Stars in their prime. You see, when a guy who averages 22 PPG for his career gets old he may be able to still give you decent production. When a guy who averages 10 for his career gets old it means he isn't much of a factor anymore. Of course, you know this but instead of admitting it you are going to keep digging yourself deeper and deeper.

Somebody set up an intervention for this guy before he hurts himself.

5. startover

startover Member

Thanks, DD.
    Now I feel a little better about the trades.

6. RocksMillenium

Clearly you don't know basketball because all of those guys were contributing at 35. Eddie Johnson was a key guy off the bench for our 1997 Western Conference Finals club. It's amusing that you talk about an intervention. Every excuse that you use has gotten shut down. Just let it go. You were wrong, everybody sees that you're wrong, if anyone needs an intervention it is clearly you.

#126 RocksMillenium, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You got me. Bobby Jackson, who is average 7 PPG this season, is on the same level as Steve Nash, Sam Cassell, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Eddie Johnson and the rest of the All time greats you mentioned.

Call off the intervention for this guy. He is hopeless.

8. RocksMillenium

Wow, you're having a hard time accepting being wrong. On a side note, I didn't know that Dale Ellis and Ricky Pierce and Jeff Hornacek qualified as "All-time Great". Lol. I'm having a great time watching you spin things in a vain attempt to be "right".

9. RocksMillenium

By the way "All-time Great" Eddie Johnson only put up 8 ppg the year he came to the Rockets midseason, but he played a key role for our team off the bench in the playoffs. He was 37 years old when he came to the Rockets. Eddie Johnson also never played in an All-Star game. I would say that he is the closest to what Bobby Jackson brings to the table.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What is your point? LOL

I said that Jackson is past his prime and will not recapture his past ability by being traded. You took issue with that and said it was "ridiculous." I mentioned the fact that most 35 year old guards do not get "younger" by being traded. You mentioned some exceptions to that rule with which I replied by saying you are comparing All time greats to a guy who was never a great player (although a good one for several years). You then start talking about how Eddie Johnson was important off the bench as a Rocket. :confused: :confused:

Your argument has changed so I need you to clarify your position and exactly what the hell you are talking about as you keep moving the goal post.

1. Do you think 35 year old, shoot first, PGs get better after being traded?

11. rocketfan.china

12. RocksMillenium

I've proven my point with facts Dave, something you were unable to do, so I understand why you're angry. Let it go, you'll feel much better.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'll take Bobby Jackson's near .400 three-point shooting over Wells' any day. Wells' slashing is overrated, because everytime he gets fouled on a drive, there's a good chance he'll brick both free throws afterwards!

14. Panda

Panda Member

If memory serves, Ron Harper won a ring with the Lakers when he was in mid 30's. Brian Shaw was pretty old too. How about Mario Elie, how old was he when the Spurs won their ring?

15. Jimes

Jimes Member

I would agree that a backup PG who knows and can buy into the system is more important than a backup SF given our current team makeup. And clearing cap space earlier? Good.

16. RocksMillenium

You're right, I forgot about him. Shaw as well. AVery Johnson as well.