1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey should release advance analytic on referees

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coffeelover665, Dec 13, 2013.

1. coffeelover665

Release advance metrics on all the referees. Technically, this isn't bad mouthing them since some will be good and some will be bad. It's fact right?

This will somewhat give the ref a slight incentive to ref the games a tad more even

2 people like this.
  2. coffeelover665

example:
    -Who calls the most travel calls correctly.
    -Who calls the most foul calls correctly in the low post.
    -Who calls the most palming correctly

It's time to hold the referee accountable. And since there's a communistic rule about speaking out against the authoritative figures of the nba, I think this is a nice passive aggressive way to do it without getting in trouble

If anyone can do it, it's the league leading analytic guy

3. AFS

AFS Member

Seems like a lot of these calls would be subjective as to whether a call was correct or not. For instance, in last night's game the refs were calling a lot of touch fouls. Technically, these are correct calls because they are, indeed, fouls. But we just thought they were bad calls because they were disrupting the flow of the game and weren't being called both ways.

4. coffeelover665

true, there are some kinks to it, but if it's a touch foul and they look at it and it's a foul, then I think it should be a foul. Haven't really thought about no calls. Maybe the stats should only look at the call the referee makes, and analyze it to see whether or not its the correct.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You couldn't touch Aldridge last night.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

He would have to do it anonymously. Stern would crush him with his last act as commissioner.

7. coffeelover665

Stern on his deathbed exact one last act of vengence. Does Morey give in to his iron authoritative grip?

http://youtu.be/i6zGEBhJMHA

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Forget touching, you couldn't even breath on him. I watched the game again and some of the fouls were pretty much phantom fouls.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

To do something like this, Morey would have to leave the NBA and start his own sports consulting firm.

He would become a very wealthy man.

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Yeah, someone associated with an NBA team couldn't do it. Maybe when the dictator finally GTFO.

But I've wondered why some of the independent detailed stats providers haven't done something like this. I'd be very interested in, say, the percentage of flops a referee falls for, or the ratio of the charge vs. blocking fouls called. To avoid bias, you could even do something very simple like provide the ratio of fouls (and other types of calls) called on the road team vs the fouls called on the home team.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

this would net what? a billion dollar fine?

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

'correctly' is a matter of opinion. Should just show:

Who calls the most travel calls
    Who calls the most foul calls in the low post
    Who calls the most palming

I would actually like to know the answer to these:

Whose rate of foul calls increases/decreases the most in the 4th quarter?
    Who calls the highest rate of offensive foul calls on low post players (I think 99% of these are bs and is a **** way to get a big man in foul trouble)?
    who has the highest/lowest blocks called to charges called ratio?

13. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

This is very interesting, but as stated above Stern would burn him alive. I'm going to look for a student case study that's protected from Stern's wrath floating around.

14. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Forget Stern, the mafia would kill Morey.

1 person likes this.
  15. SeabrookMiglla

The nba is rigged but I still watch it anyway:)

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This is an excellent idea.

And I'm being dead serious.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ I agree -- it doesn't really matter who does it IMO, but it would be really interesting to read a concise report on this subject. Good thread OP.

18. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Hell let's enact this system, and the worst offenders/inaccurate call makers/no-call makers be subject to fines. And those with excessive fines be subject to league investigation for foul play, gambling, favoritism, and the like. Dead serious as well. Joey Crawford would be on his knees and that would bring me to tears in laughter. I can see it now....This would bring a definite stop to the possibly of the league being rigged internally.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Gangsters scare me.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

that's not how you institute a fining policy. If every ref does an awesome job then somebody would still get fined with your policy(there must be a worst). It needs to be something like 'if your bad call rate is 10% or above for 2 or 3 straight seasons then you are fired.'