1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Rule

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BetterThanEver, May 26, 2008.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We won't be able to run our own pre-draft camp before the official one in Orlando, this year. I am sure Morey has some more tricks up his sleeves. :)

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Early-Entry-List-Analysis/

The Daryl Morey Rule: The NBA also decided to close one “loophole” in the rules that last year allowed the Houston Rockets to organize a “workout marathon” spanning two days in Orlando immediately after the conclusion of the NBA pre-draft camp. The Rockets brought together 36 players to be evaluated in one gym by 12 NBA teams, in 9 different sessions, over multiple days, with the costs being split equally by all teams. This innovative idea gave teams involved a chance to watch a huge batch of players (some underclassmen who were able to save a significant amount of money on travel expenses, and others who did not participate in the pre-draft camp) simultaneously in a very cost effective way. The problem was that this was seen as being somewhat of a rogue event that may have hurt the credibility of the NBA pre-draft camp conducted just days prior in the same city. Ever conscious of anything that might cause players not to participate in the pre-draft camp (a huge concern and the reason for most of the workout restrictions today), the NBA has decided to disallow any team besides the Magic from holding workouts in the city of Orlando in the three day span following the pre-draft camp. Thus, they’ve effectively closed the window of opportunity to bring a great deal of teams and players together while everyone was in the same city immediately at the conclusion of the camp.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

no problem, just do it in houston.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That's ok.

DM will just come up with some other scheme. He's obviously smart enough to rig something up.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

"Before" should be "After" the Orlando pre-draft camp. We can't run our own camp after the official Orlando pre-draft camp.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Introducing in 2008, the debut of the Daryl Morey-13 team ROGUE Post-Pre-Draft Training Marathon of Tampa Bay, FL!! Reserve your tickets now.

6. lastmanstanding

Don't worry, Morey's got plenty of loopholes to spare. :D

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Daryl Morey is a badass.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Aren't bus tickets cheap, and aren't there other cities in Florida? I could have sworn I saw some on a map once...

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'm sure Morey could get Riley on board for something in Miami.

10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I could careless about these loopholes; I am just waiting for his grand robbery.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I personally believe, that, US Americans, are unable to do so. Because, umm, some, people out there, in our nation, don't have maps and uh, and I believe that our education in like, such as in, uh, South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as, and I believe that our education over here in the US, should help the US, uh should help South Africa, should help the Iraq and Asian countries, so that we will be able to build up our future, for us, asphalt, tractor-trailer, arugala, pad thai, aardvark, the Iraq, carburetor, banjo, Jesus Shuttlesworth.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Can someone photoshop Morey into a pimp suit, preferably a purple one.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Do it before the pre-draft camp.

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'm sure if Morey really wanted, he'd have those boys come over to his house for a workout. Git 'er done mr wizardman!

15. zforrest

zforrest Member

If imitation is the best form of flattery, then prevention of imitation by higher-ups is the 2nd best. Morey is a baller!

16. abita

abita Member

NBA says," Dont fk with my money"

signed. :rolleyes:

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA should just hire Morey to organize the pre-draft camp. Problem solved.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

do it like a week before the draft.

Have it in Tampa or Miami

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The fact that the NBA sees the Morey camp as a threat to their pre-draft camp shows there is a demand their camp is not meeting. Maybe they need to change the way they run their camp instead of legislating against other camps.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Please, not another grand robbery. I still hurt over the Rudy Gay grand robbery.

Face it, Morey is not that smart, basketball-wise. Yes, I know he has his masters degree in number crunching and he's very personable. However, he has stated, for example, that height is not that important when looking for players. Is that why we have so many munchkins and why we got killed by teams that were taller and more athletic? You tell me.

All in all, I'll believe in Morey when he shows me he "robbed" another GM rather than getting a Jerry West shaft or benefiting from a Spurs fire sale.