1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am not that offended by the Harden teeth talk. I am, however, offended by the classless shot you took at Patrick Patterson, who is a consummate professional and has nice teeth.

2. VeloCity

VeloCity Member

I've given up on 790 as a radio source for Rockets talk. I've lived in NY, Philly, and San Francisco... Houston sports talk really has a long way to go for a city that considers itself a major market.

Looking at the decisions by the Rockets to choose Comcast and 790 as their media partners, I have to wonder if they really were the best available options in the city of Houston? It's really a shame if they were.... The people in the city deserve better!

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Football-centric sports towns are miserable when the NFL team is in disarray.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Daryl Morey on 790 - October 24th 2013. In a nutshell:

790: Are you in SA?
    Morey: No, not going to the game.

790: How is the end of process? D-League options? Final roster?
    Morey: Make a decision by 28th, may make it a bit earlier. Still have to make two cuts.

790: Monday night was the first experiment of Asik-Howard. What did you think of it?
    Morey: It is too early. Saw a lot of things of why it would work. Thought Dwight was diligent on what he did defensively. He will be the one guarding the 4 for some stretches. Have a lot to do with spacing and positioning. Thought both of them were pretty good. It's a work in progress. Still have to see how often coach uses them.

It's a pretty customized line-up. Good match up against some teams and terrible against others.

790: How viable to roll with it? Would coach McHale preferably not have to mix and match so much?
    Morey: Roster has ability to go big and small. Conceptually easier to vision the big line-ups against say Memphis. Like to throw different line-ups against teams. Will be tough when teams go small but good luck to them if they miss because they will never get a rebound. Offensively, will get a huge number of possessions. It is not obvious how well it will work against different line ups.

Then they talk about meat loaf and fantasy football stuff.

790: Flexible line-ups now but with good talent. Problem with double big line-up is that it will be awesome to get a lead and ground and pound but you have to have both of them on the floor and free throws is a problem.

Morey: Bottom line is Asik is one of top 5 players in the team. 3-5 range. We want to get our best players as many minutes. If it does not work, we know having Asik for 15-20 minutes is valuable and will give us top 5 defense. Worst case Asik will be best back up center in the league.

790: First thing we heard after we got Dwight is Asik wanted to be traded. Haven't heard about that lately, Was it ever an issue?

Morey: Winning makes everyone happy and as long as we're winning things will take care of themselves. If we're not winning then lots of guys who think they should be playing will have issues.

790: Backcourt discussion. Is Jeremy Lin definitely the starting PG or is there a scenario where PB starts and JL comes off the bench with Asik?

Morey: 100% sure coach will go to JL and PB together a significant minutes together. And could see them closing a lot of games given how well they're playing.

790: In terms of PG situation, we know JL and PB work differently. JL excels off high screen and roll which is easier when JH is not in the game. How do you get JL into screen and roll games when you have two other primary offensive options in JH and DH

Morey: We have two very good options in terms of primary ball handlers. JL has a quick first step and its valuable to have two ball handlers who can break the defense down. JL as you can see in pre-season has got into many offensive opportunities

790: In terms of touches or how many times JH has possession of ball, JH had to be way up there in the league with all your metrics

Morey: For sure top 5 offensive player in the league, some could argue top 3. Going to open up options for JL. JH going to be primary offensive option. Does it very efficiently. Teams will bring lot of attention to JH and JL will be primary guy to step up

Talk about UFC and how many Rox players were in attendance.

Wraps up.

3 people like this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

I still hate the Gentlemen of Sports - Clanton and Lance. They have very little to offer in terms of basketball. I try and give them a chance on my way to work but it seems like they could care less for the Rockets despite advertising 790 as being home of the Rox.

These two clowns earlier this morning did not know if the game against SA Spurs was our last pre-season game. Goes to show that 1) they do not care much about NBA and 2) they know next to NOTHING about the game

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Are you seriously complaining about the lack of basketball coverage during pre season and in the midst of nfl season? No one on the radio right now is talking basketball when football is halfway through the regular season.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Darn, I missed it.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

If you are hosting a show for Sports 790 advertised as home of the Rockets, I expect you at the very least to know something about the Rockets and their upcoming schedule.....

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Look, I'm very disappointed in their show because I don't think they work well together, but I completely disagree with the idea that they don't care about the Rockets. They both love the Rockets. I won't lie and say I like Adam Clanton radio personality or that I listened to him often on his other stops, but Lance I can speak to. Everywhere he's ever been he's talked Rockets basketball. Lance is a straight up Houston sports fan.

The problem with the show isn't that they don't care, it's that neither of them is the grounded one. It's like having two color commentators calling a game instead of having a PBP guy.

As for lack of Rockets talk during preseason, blame the city, not the radio.

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I've listened when Adam has alot to say about the rockets. They don't really dictate how much Rocket talk there is, it's the callers. They know their ratings will drop if they go on about the rockets for hours while 90% of the city wants to talk about those dreaded Texans.

And this will continue, it's not only because Basketball is in pre-season, even once the season starts and is in full swing they will still talk about the Texans. It's not until End of February when they will start talking basketball because then Football will be over. This will continue until the draft and then it will go right back to 90% Football talk. People care more about the draft and what the Texans will look like on the field 5 months later than the Rockets making a playoff run. It's sad as a Rocket's fan but it's true.

What I do is usually just youtube any new videos about the rockets or listen to NBA hangtime or Bruce Bowen's podcast while I'm in my car. You can also download an app on android called Pocket and what it does is you can save articles online and when your in your car, the App will read the article to you. So I save a few articles Rockets or basketball related to listen to while I'm driving.

Another thing I do is I record the 790 post game show after Rockets game, record it from my phone. Then in the morning on the drive to work, I listen to the post game show and listen to people calling in to talk Rockets.

It's how I get by, but man I remember when in 2009 for about 2 weeks the Rockets were the talk of the town when we played the lakers. It won't get that way again unless we make a deep playoff run.

1 person likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks!

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I get the feeling that they like the Rockets as much as I like Aaron Brooks. Which is, I want Brooks to succeed, I like him, I will never forget his part in our great 2009 playoffs and 2010 season, and it would be really cool if he can be part of the rotation and part of the Rockets success.

But if the Rockets were to cut Brooks tomorrow, I'd be sad but ultimately won't care. Just like I'm sure that if Howard starts pouting, Harden gets injured, the Rockets in disarray and being the 9th seed again, these guys would just go back to talk about how crappy Schaub is for the next 5 months.

Basically sports radio to me seems like Texans fans who bandwagon on the Rockets or the Astros. They don't actually care about the team, but they'll watch when the team's good.

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Agreed. The show has zero substance. Lance, I think, is a pretty funny guy, but clanton is a d bag and tries so hard to be funny. Even if you don't find lance funny he still knows a lot about football and can provide something of substance. The same can not be said for Adam.

14. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Found this interesting "Teams will bring lot of attention to JH and JL will be primary guy to step up"

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I Pbev is starting. When clanton asked him the if Jeremy Lin is starting instead of answering the question, Morey was like "They will both play a lot."

16. deshen

deshen Member

It sounds the team has no plan to use DH's offense as much as I like. Kind of waste on talent.

17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

alternative interpretations:
    1) It's the coach's call and doesn't want to step on coach's toes
    2) They are going to alternate based on opponent
    3) Decision made but doesn't want to deal with media scrum fight yet
    4) Coach wants to talk through situation with Bev and Lin before talking to media

etc.

18. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

That is pretty interesting; it implies JL and JH are going to be playing together a lot (either just JH/JL or JH/JL/PB combinations), and also says something about how he views PB in the offense (i.e. "we have two good options in terms of primary ball handlers", JL and JH).

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think this is the case at all (at least for Lance.) But keep in mind that the majority of the city doesn't watch basketball and the majority of the city that wants to watch basketball can't watch basketball.

Even on Fox Sports I think the Rockets only got about 45k average viewership? Now it's down to something like 20k?

In this entire city only around 20k people watch the Rockets. It's hard to talk about a sport that you can't watch and that your listeners can't watch.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

How do you do that? I have an S4 and would love to learn this trick!