1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, I think it was just very obvious to those that have experience that Beverley is a better player and fit at the 1, especially for the Rockets. Beverley helps cover a lot of lapses by our other perimeter players and he is a better free throw shooter.

2. Razsan

Razsan Member

Agree about the fit but not about the better player comment.
    Also, free throws
    Lin .817
    Beverly .804

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Damn!

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey, and by extension McHale, make decisions based on stats. Bev is not a better point guard than Lin, he is a better fit with the starters than Lin. There are several factors to consider: with Lin playing the starters are extremely shot starved; they need Bev's defense against some of the better NBA point guards; the bench sorely needs Lin's scoring punch. As you said, this much is obvious to those with a practiced eye towards the NBA game.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Patrick Beverley is a better point guard then Jeremy Lin. That's just clear as day dude.

6. torocan

torocan Member

What is your definition of the role of a Point Guard?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

To mesh as well as possible with the other 4 players on the court and put forth the best output possible.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The main problem is that there are just a handful of NBA players that are even close to Dirk in accuracy on the long two. And every one of them is a "star" and thus difficult or even impossible to obtain. The Rockets take 50% of the long twos compared to their closest rival. That is a team philosophy and is not going to change.

9. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol Lin is a better player and point guard and would be starting over Bev on most, if not all, other teams. Bev is just a great fit in this starting line up and he brings a strong perimeter defensive presence which we sorely need.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

To be the quarterback and catalyst of the team under extreme conditions.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No. Fraid not. Unless you understand which metrics even to apply in such a comparison you should not venture forward with your guess.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just not true - the more I watch Beverly, and his mental toughness, the more I can see why Lin is just not good enough.

If you doubt yourself the league will eat you up.

Beverly would shut Jlin completely down - because Lin would defer every time down the court, and there is no place for that in an NBA starting lineup.

DD

13. Roc Paint

Word to defer he's playing tricks on my nerves. ;)

14. torocan

torocan Member

That's a definition of ANY NBA player, not a position.

If I asked you what the role of a Center was, you'd say rim protection, rebounding, etc.

So what is the typical role expected of Point Guards?

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is there actually audio on this page? I can't find it.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

tv screen enough to prove PB is waaaaay better

17. Nook

Nook Member

Patrick Beverley is just a better player and fit than Lin.

I don't think that Morey or the front office pressured McHale to play Beverley.

I will say that the Rockets front office is CLOSER to the coaching staff than other teams, so I am sure it has been discussed many, many times.

Beverley doesn't turn the ball over, he is an elite defender, he hits his 3's.. which is what the Rockets need. If the Rockets were long on defense and short on offense, then Lin would start.

18. Roc Paint

I thought I just explained it to you?

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Bev is a Rondo/Rubio without the assists. Unless he plays with great assist players like Parsons and Harden he brings nothing to the table other than defense. In the Rockets system, utilizing spacing and the post to such a great degree, Bev is the starting point guard. In most other systems he would be relegated to the bench. A "system" point guard is not a better point guard than Lin.

20. Nook

Nook Member

The game has changed a lot, especially the last 5-10 years. The role of the point guard has evolved as well.

Is Lin a better player than Beverley? You can make a strong argument he is, but IMO Beverley is an elite role player, and that is rarer and more important to an elite team than someone like Lin, that can score and create, but not at an elite level.

Having said that, I hope Lin averages 20 points a game in the playoffs.