1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't really buy into the "this injury is completely different from that injury" argument, especially in this case. Lin plays in a particular way that invites contact and him falling to the ground a lot, and if its not one injury its another with him, seemingly. Its not so much a critique as an observation.

2. torocan

torocan Member

I think you can argue inconsistent offense, but his defensive effort is actually quite consistent. Yes, he gets mismatched on some point guards, he also does very well however against others. And his defensive lapses are rarely due to lack of effort.

Brooks on the other hand just lacks defensive tools in general and that is highly consistent.

The way I look at it Brooks + Harden = zero perimeter defense. And Brooks is not nearly the contributor that he can offset that with his offense. I also believe that Lin is the superior facilitator to Brooks, which is sorely needed with the 2nd unit.

So no, I see Brooks/Canaan as a far worse option than even an injured Lin/Canaan.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I wish they would have asked him if Covington, or Daniels might be brought in since everyone on our bench is struggling.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

I really dont see the point of moving asik unless you can move lin also and get a star. A decnt backup center is going to cost you at least min. $4-5mill even for humpries or kaman. and wont be that many willing to sign one year deals.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

ive been routing for convington since day 1. he was the 1st to actually get called up but im not sure what happened, maybe something went wrong in practice that mchale or sampson didnt like.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, I've seen them be right often enough in terms of D-league call ups in the last 2 years that if they don't feel Covington is ready for NBA minutes that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

How many threads have we seen about "Free XXX!"? And then they get called up and turn out to be nowhere near ready?

If they don't think he's ready, then let them keep developing.

7. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

Its one agenda one narrative. Abj. that will continue as ling as lin plays on the rockets

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

How in the world does wanting Covington (who will likely only eat into Casspi/Garcia/Hamilton's minutes) called up have anything to do with Lin?

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

So who is Morey pissed at?

McHale who can't get the guys to perform at a higher level? The trainers for the lingering injuries? Himself for making bad moves?

10. yummyhawtsauce

lol this board is trollfans now :(

1 person likes this.
  11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We won't win vs OKC with so many starters out. Rest Harden and try to win vs the non-contenders next week.

Harden doesn't give full effort when he feels we have no chance to win. As long as it keeps him from getting injured ...

12. yummyhawtsauce

Rockets not ready for OKC even with full line up. OKC wants it more. Rockets still need time to come together - they have been great most of the season but just needs some more experience to beat the top 5 teams. I think coaching here makes a big difference.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No kidding. Hell, I'm sure Lin and Canaan would be grateful if they had someone on the wing who could actually knock down shots when assisted.

Meanwhile, the Rockets are on the verge of collapse -- which will only be exacerbated if Lin really is forced to miss time in the next couple of weeks. I think some people are too busy bickering over Absolutely Nothing to absorb the gravity of the situation. Or maybe they just don't care. Bleh.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I disagree. Assuming T-Jones can go, the Rockets would be missing Dwight and Bev. We know they can win comfortably without Dwight, especially at home. Being without Bev will hurt, but they'll catch a break with OKC being on the 2nd night of a B2B. They have to play the Spurs at home tonight in what will be a brutal game(the Thunder must beat San Antonio if they want any shot at the #1 seed). If we're really lucky, they may even rest Westbrick tomorrow as they've been holding him out of some B2B situations lately.

And one other thing. The Rockets are in no position to just give away games at this point. Yes, beating OKC will be difficult. But if they manage to pull it off, it would be a huge boost to both their morale and their chances of securing the 4th seed.

15. yummyhawtsauce

yup. the body language at the game. absolutely terrible. no fight, no care. bev is needed for intensity and even dwight who sometimes gets into the game too. sad team to watch right now - seem like not playoff contenders at all from the body language. harden needs to step up as a leader - this is where he has to take over and iso and win teh game on his talent. lol depressedfans.net

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Probably stems from his moves not working out more than anything. You can't blame him for making the moves he's made at the time, but they have come back to bite him in the a#$.

He did however score this year by NOT trading Asik. Had they traded Asik for a bag of rocks, the Rockets might be looking at a much more epic collapse going into the playoffs than they are.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les.

We wouldn't be boxed in at point if Les hadn't insisted on Lin. Daryl's miraculously worked around it, but the injury to Beverley reveals the Achilles Heel of rebuilding on the fly w/ an owner switching gears from his priority being making money in the Far East through cultivated business interests to ...winning.

18. torocan

torocan Member

I'm betting he's just frustrated all around.

To work this hard to get so well seeded and then face injuries with Dwight, Bev, Lin, and Greg Smith on top of mediocre to subpar performances from Casspi, Hamilton and Garcia has to be very frustrating.

And now he's lost Kelvin Sampson to UH (another cog in the machine) going into our most critical part of the season.

Morey's doing what he can, but as they say, the best laid plans of mice and men...

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I keep hearing on this board that signing Lin was Les's idea. Is there any evidence to that or is it just some fan speculation?

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know what you are smoking.

There are no guarantees, but to say that the Rockets cannot beat Portland on the road is just false. The Rockets match up very well with Portland.

I want HC advantage obviously, but things actually look BETTER than a week ago because of Beverley's status. He is a huge difference maker.