1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Agreed.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Durv,

Pick pick pick......that is what he is facing against CP3....Pick, Pick, Pick.....and you don't see that?

DD

3. durvasa

I see a player who is a very, very poor at getting around screens. That's one of Brooks' glaring deficiencies on the defensive end, and it shouldn't be considering his quickness.

4. DaDakota

Tell ya what, you go outside, put some giant trash cans in your way and have a friend of yours cut right next to them and tell me how you were able to stay on the man.

The PnR takes a quality scheme to hinder.....there is no one on one player that can stop a perfectly executed PnR.

DD

5. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

LOL. Morey threw an underhanded lob on that one.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I was unable to watch the game, but if Chris Paul is allowed to get that deep into the paint, he's just unstoppable and he opens things up for his teammates big time.

7. DaDakota

Agreed, but a good portion of his damage was done in passing to wide open guys at the elbow on the high PnR.

That first play was all on Brooks he played crap D, but the rest are all scheme oriented....and how they handled or rather didn't handle the PnR.

DD

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I predict the word "scheme" will become the most overused word in the BBS over the next few months.

It will be beaten absolutely to death.

2 people like this.
  9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is hard to judge the schemes knowing how poor the individual defenders are. How can you tell me the quality of the schemes when Scola can't rotate back to his man on the Pick and Pop? How bout when AB loses CP3 and loses the roller? The video Durv posted shows that whether the schemes are good or not, the players executing them determine the outcome, a couple times CP3 was forced to give up the ball on the P&R and no one rotated or slid back to the players giving the pick.

It seems like you assume you know more than you do about what is going on in the huddle and on the floor, none of us know what is going on in the huddle, therefore none of us can safely assume we know the quality of the schemes.

10. DaDakota

Wrong thread, not relevent.

DD

11. Mr. Clutch

It was happening all game. Chris Paul was walking through the paint so easy it seemed like there was a red carpet rolled out for him.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

CP3 does that to anyone hes playing against not just AB. Theres a reason y all they do is PnR. CP3 is such a threat in every way possible from PnR. You go throug the pick as a defender and CP3 gets to the paint and causes havoc and ends up scoring himself, passing out ot a shooter, or getting a layup for a big. Cp3 isn't the best shooter out there but he's pretty good at mid range jumpers that if you go behidn the pick he'll hit the jumper. And this game he proved he can do both. We can't trap or double team paul on the pick becuase he is so good at finding open players and NO filled there rosters with good shooters. Where we lost this game was not getting the defensive rebounds when they counted the most.

13. DaDakota

This is a fair enough point.

I know what I know about basketball, and am judging what I see based upon that.

What I see is players that are meant to show high on the PnR, then quickly get back to their man as the PG recovers to CP3 from the pick.

Why this worked in the past, is that a lot of the picks were by Chandler and he was no outside threat.

Credit to the Hornets, they have a very nice mix of players now....and have surrounded CP3 with guys that can really feed off of him and hit open shots that he creates.

Knowing that going in, the idea would be to force CP3 to shoot over the top and shut down everyone else.

Clog the paint with a big, and rarely show high on the pick, take away his comfort zone of passing the ball to the elbow etc.

But what the Rox did was neither trap him (also can be effective in spurts), nor stay home.

They played a kind of quasi show high, and then try to recover D...it just won't work on CP3 or Nash, as they will extend the play sideways to make it impossible for the Big to recover to the guy at the high post...and if someone else leaves their man to pick him up, CP3 will find that open man.

So, you have to let CP3 shoot, turn him into a shooter on the perimeter and do the best you can.

That is how the Spurs beat the Suns in the playoffs every year, and it is how the Rockets beat the Lakers back in the day....

Those of you blaming AB for his poor play on D last night are missing the bigger picture of the PnR....

DD

14. Mr. Clutch

CP3 will get his no matter what, but the Rockets have to do a better job. They can't stop him, but they can slow him do.

He got 25 points on 58% shooting and got to the line 12 times. Those numbers are way above his career averages.

15. DaDakota

How many of those points were off free throws late in the game as the Rockets were trying to come back 6? 8?

Is it asking too much for people to have an understanding of what is actually happening in the greater SCHEME of things?

I think it just might be.....

DD

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, you know you're one of my favorites,but let me explain a few things about those pick situations DD is talking about.

There are 2 ways to handle a pick and both fall on the big man. The gate or show hard. When the rockets had Hakeem, smith and company used to get killed in pick situations,but its how the coaches wanted. Against kj,stockton,and guys like that, hakeem would sag to protect the paint and give the gate. That means they wanted dream to give enough room so smith can go under the screen and make those guys shoot or give the ball up,but cut off penetration. The team gave up those mid range shots, but dream shut the basket down with his quickness and recovery.

Jvg had ghe show hard or blitz method. This relied on the big to show hard on one side so the guard had help, then revover to his man.Everyone used to see how much energy yao used to use when he would have to show hard,then go find his man.Thats why when teams needed a shot,they always used to put yao in pnr.The problem now is they use the gate method, but yao is much slower now with his injuries,but he also gets in no mans land. If its scola,he's like a magnet to the paint. Couple that with martin and his defensive awarness and now you have a total breakdown with such a minor play. A guy like paul,nash,stockton, you want them scoring,not diming. They can score when the want to, but when they get everyone else going,youre going to have problems. In those flood picks,neither scola nor yao were close enough to the next man to contest the next pass. Same goes for martin. So you look up and belinelli is shooting wide open 3's,jason smith is butt naked from 17ft. So now paul has a 2 way go and it will never be good in that situation.I like scola and i'm not blaming him, but defensively,he is the worst player playing next to yao.Compound that with Yao's total lack of mobility and the backcourt issues, now you have a piss poor defense.

2 people like this.
  17. durvasa

I'm not asking Brooks to stop it on his own. Help defense is critical. But its Brooks' responsibility to know where the help is and to force Paul into it. And its the help's responsibility to be in position to make a play. That doesn't mean trap the pick and roll, though you can mix that in as well situationally (which the Rockets did in that clip, unsuccessfully -- see :40 mark). Aaron also needs to put more pressure on Paul and not get picked off so easily. He needs to bump up his motor on the defense end and zip around those screens.

18. DaDakota

Thank GOD !!!!

HALLELUEJAH !!!!!

DD

19. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DD, I get that you understand basketball, but I specifically remember at least 2 or 3 times where Scola made half-assed attempts to recover to his man off the pick and roll, or when his man was on the weak side he just lost him as he moved to the elbow. I think much of the problem is how the players are executing on the floor, not what is being asked of them.

20. DaDakota

You do realize he was in foul trouble last night for doing a lot of that, right?

Seriously, everyone read what Leeb wrote, it a lot better than I have been doing apparently.

DD

#120 DaDakota, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010