1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 1560am 8/4/2009 8:10am

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

The smaller type of deal is most interesting. I doubt an All-Star trade will happen. If it does, it would be by the trade deadline. The smaller deal is more feasible wherein I hope the team gets some front court help.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe a Ray Allen (doubtful, he's 34) or Michael Redd (28 years old, I think, coming back from ACL surgery), that sort of player. Redd's team seems to be in full slash-and-burn mode anyway. I would wish for Joe Johnson but not likely at all.

Morey's a little more outspoken now about trying to trade for that All Star level player. I kept mentioning it after he'd address the media; he'd always bring it up, but quickly, almost as an afterthought, yet people would whiff on it: "Our roster is gonna suck this year, we're not gonna trade for anyone!" Clearly he is making the effort to aim big, if he can.

3. el guapo

el guapo Member

tru bt since grizzlies arent goin anywhere how bout them

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DaDakota again.

5. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Signing Iverson would be easier, If He agrees because the team would not have to give up anyone. They can use Iverson as a marketing tool to try to bring people to the TC. ( Can Iverson still do that? :D )

6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

He was, I'm not saying he was implying that they are after Iverson, I'm saying he is the only guy I can think of that's available (free agent or being shopped) that fits the bill.

We do still have a portion of the MLE left after the Andersen signing right? Like I said, I don't think we are actually going after Iverson, but if Morey had a chance to sign a high quality player for dirt cheap, he would. Say what you want about Iverson as a person, but the guy can still play. He was unhappy in Detroit and showed that, but such a dramatic drop off in capability from year to year, is unlikely in my opinion.

In 07-08 for Denver he averaged 26.4 ppg and 7 apg on the 2nd best FG% of his career.

With all that said, I wouldn't want Iverson, I've said many times we need to rebuild, and Iverson would be re-tooling. He would be a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches haha.

7. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I also had that impression about getting Iverson but I do not see the team rebuilding this early. If by Feb., they are not in the playoff race anymore then rebuilding can start with trades at the trade deadline. Right now, retooling is needed.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

My money is on Battier moving on for Fernandez and either Joel P. or T. Outlaw...it was the first interveiw where I dont recall him meantioning Battier's name at all in a very long time and Battier moving for someone like Fernandez/Outlaw would not be a huge announcement but a "Medium" one to aquire more assets for the future!

9. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

This is the kind of move I am expecting as well

10. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

Thanks for the recap, DD.

AI will not be a Rocket.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would Morey be trading for a fading star and hoping he has more treads left when his team has two of these already?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

seriously? what exactly does that mean? is the guy just dumb as a rock?

was that the wording he really used about ron? sounds like a pretty bad indication of what was going on if that's what he really said. thanks for any clarification!

good to hear about trevor. it should be fun to watch trevor and battier defend the perimeter next year since both can keep up with their man out there. hopefully, RA can work his magic with trevor too since he feels like he has potential on offense.

13. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I'm thinking it might be for a mid-level type of player and/or a player that was drafted in this years draft. Players who were drafted in this years draft can be traded 30 days after the draft.

14. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

Thanks for recapping, he seems like a really nice guy, and it's nice to see he likes to keep what goes on behind closed doors private, I don't think we need to know if anyone is acting crazy. Glad he's our G.M.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By the way, DaDakota, a million thanks for a really good recap.

I agree with you guys who say a Shane Battier-esque move is imminent this week.

If we trade for that All Star (of whatever ilk: former, current, or gonna-be), that's probably down the road, using McGrady's contract as part of the deal.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

fading star makes it sound like the person is on crutches when you put it like that.

17. Convictedstupid

Yeah me too. I couldnt figure out whether he meant they were talking with teams about one of those 2 trades or that is just what he is looking for right now as far as trades go. But that would sort of cripple him if he was only looking for those 2 trades.. Gotta be open to everything.

18. Convictedstupid

And thanks again DD.

You da' man.

19. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

That's not exactly what he said. He didn't specifically mention that they (The Rockets) were trying to forget about Ron... he said "we're trying to forget about all of that anyway."

In context, he seemed to be implying that they were trying to forget about things coming out (see Simmons article) about Ron, now that he's gone.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Someone had the nerve to question why or how DD got repped so quickly. He's been consistent at recaps with his 100 per typing. Great work DD,good info.