1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 1560am 8/4/2009 8:10am

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 3, 2009.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I agree with the other comment responding to this, but have another take. I think Moneyball is about the fact that most people are irrational, especially when it comes to evaluating people.

2. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Anybody recap?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah get ready, cuz the GARM's about to bust a recap in yo a$$ for this post :D

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Tell me, doctor, where are we going this time
    Is this the 50's, or 1999
    All I wanted to do - was play my guitar and sing

So take me away, I don't mind
    But you better promise me, I'll be back in time
    Gotta get back in time

Don't bet your future, on one roll of the dice
    Better remember, lightning never strikes twice
    Please don't drive at eight, don't wanna be late again

So take me away, I don't mind
    But you better promise me, I'll be back in time
    Gotta get back in time
    Gotta get back in time
    Get me back in time

Gotta get back in time
    Gotta get back in time
    Get back, get back

Get back Marty

Gotta get back in time
    Gotta get back in time
    Get back, get back

5. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Q: Mr. Morey. Did you actually have dinner at the Aquarium with, or entertain trade realistic offers for Hasheem Thabeet? Is there merit to the idea that Memphis was shopping him after the draft?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Links to Rockets.com are apparently not allowed here anymore for some reason, but Jason Friedman wrote a piece there about social networking where he makes it clear that Morey was not even in Houston that weekend.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Tomorrow morning dude.

8. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

What's the word on Wafer?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Who is our starting SG?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Excellent post. Anyone who thinks Moneyball's message is "intangibles vs. tangibles" is missing the point.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4691899#post4691899">Way before your thread</a>.

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nice post. Just wanted to add that which commodities are undervalued/overvalued are constantly changing (in recent times, defense/speed has arguably become underrated especially with the league wide drop in slugging numbers), hence the need for constant evaluation/moneyball/finding new methods of measuring "intangibles".

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It isn't intangibles vs tangibles,but Moreyball is imperfect just like any other formula.

14. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

a lot of things that were once considered intangibles are now quantified by formulas that many teams incorporate in their scouting...

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'm a huge Yao fan, but I'm a bigger Rockets fan and I would like to know given his injury history, would it be wise to depend on Yao being the main component of the "grand" scheme of things? If an opportunity came up, would Yao be tradeable?

If salary didn't matter, please pick any 5 non-Rocket players to create the ultimate championship starting lineup for the upcoming season with Rick Adelman as the head coach. :)

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

Ask about the fine for the "early" released schedule.

17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Here's an analogy...

Shane Battier = Adam Everett (definitely not a Billy Beane Moneyball-type player)

Von Wafer = Julio Lugo (much more of a Moneyball-type player; eventually signed by Theo Epstein, Bill James, and the Red Sox, who were basically the second team to adopt Beane's Moneyball philosophy)

Wafer and Lugo even left the team in somewhat similar circumstances (emphasis on the word somewhat, I'm not accusing Wafer of anything).

If you want to go further back, Mitch Meluskey/Brad Ausmus is an even better analogy. Talk about a guy who made his living off 'intangibles,' Ausmus even had the Battier-style scouting reports on all the opposing hitters! I'm sure most of you don't even remember who Meluskey was, but look him up. How the greatest offensive catcher in Astros history is so forgotten is beyond me. Oh, and be sure to look up how he ended up leaving the team. See if it reminds you of a certain mohawked shooting guard...

18. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think we should ask him When will the new alternate jersey's be revealed, and what is the color theme? if he is allowed to mention it.

I love how our gm is like a highlight in our city, are other gms very well liked and held with high regards? just askin if anyone from other cities would know other wise such as kevin pritchard and god awful steve kerr

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks Moreyball is about one formula is missing the point.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Considering the relevance of the topic for a board like ours that depends so much on how information is disseminated electronically, I would think that article would make for a good thread starter rather than a thread closer.

You provided this explanation before regarding links posted from Rockets.com:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4281567&highlight=Jason#post4281567

I consider the article both newsworthy, and something more than a daily piece. But that's your call. Instead of merging it, it was deleted. And the other thread in which the link appears was closed. I just hope you don't think I'm a Rockets employee posing as a fan.