1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, NBA issue statements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 6, 2019.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lebron won't be dumb enough to comment on it. The only reason Morey did was because he didn't see the consequences. Now everyone does. It's politics between Chinese people 4000 miles away. Lebron is gonna think, "The ****s that gotta do with me?"

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What if Morey did see the consequences? I feel like he's more intelligent than you or I. That means he took a moral stand and for once I'm glad a man who risks millions for a moral stand.

3. max14

max14 Member

I don't think the players should 'take a stand' for its own sake.

How do you know Kanter is an avid reader of Chinese and international history and politics.

The players should just say China is a far away country I don't really know enough to comment.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nah.

5. fchowd0311

Kanter has his life constantly threatened from another autocratic regime, Erdogan and he definitely doesn't give a ****. Dude is a champ and probably would have sympathy for HK and Morey.

6. fchowd0311

I believe he is more intelligent than me at least and I understood what the consequences would be. I can't really judge you as I don't know what your personal accomplishments are.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He isn’t wrong while the Crown did make you prosper somehow yet Colonial Britain were the first to get opium into the country, their intentions weren’t pure or noble, that is why that was called Colonialism.

This was way before Communism, Chinese mainlanders were successful fending off some big invader nations.

Deal with it, it is history. I have rarely encountered somebody who idolized Emperialism and Colonialism. Dang! That was what fighting for freedom looked like hundred years ago.

Hope Morey is off the hook doe.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

He deleted his tweet faster than he could hit send. Of course he didn't know the consequences dude.

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

And do you know why people miss the Brits? Because the CCP treats HK even worse than British emperialists, CCP is that bad.

So don't blame HKers. CCP should ask themselves what they have done to cause this turmoil.

10. foh

foh Member

Do you realize that senators, commissioner and yao had to comment on his deleted tweet? Morey's deleted tweet is probably just as powerful as a non-deleted one. And he didn't apologise

But you might be right. No one but Morey knows

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

He knew his message would stick. He'll do the very baseline required to still be the GM of the Rockets without apologizing for his statement. Him being vocal worked. He probably understand the Streisand effect quite well. He knows reporters are going to ask people like Kerr, Pop and Lebron. It's going to spread like wildfire because reporters will ask everyone for their opinion on this matter .

joshuaao and foh like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's more than politics between Chinese people though. It's also that China massively violates human rights. It's also about US businesses (and others around the world) bowing to China. That's the message a lot of politicians are parroting (left and right) about this situation. It's not just about Hong Kong and China, it's about China as a whole bullying a US citizen to follow their laws and don't get in the way of their propaganda, that they expect this from everyone is a bit much.

Also, I don't think it would be dumb for Lebron. Financially, sure, but the life should be about more than money. Money wise, he'd be fine, Nike isn't dumping him, the Lakers aren't, no one is. If he does this he'd go down as hero here in the states. This is a guy that has also made a name on taking political stances, that sees himself as more than an athlete, thats his thing. He understands that his legacy is about a little more than just winning NBA championships. Lebron doesn't lose Q score taking a moral stand here, he comes out as someone with bravery and someone that actually does stand for all the things he claims he stands for.

When Lebron says something I will tell you one thing he won't do, he won't side with China. At most he'll give some vague response. "I don't know enough about the situation to comment about it..." but I would not be surprised at all if he decided to take a stand here. He's done so on several issues, I think if Lebron understood what is going on in China he'd say something about it. Maybe not in China though, maybe won't even get asked that question in China, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Wouldn't be surprised if he gave a vague answer either.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He did imply that he made a mistake by listening to different perspectives only AFTER ("since") the backlash. Did he mean that he wasn't aware of those other perspectives when he made that tweet?
    BTW, I would have applauded Morey if he actually talked about China's blatant violation of human rights. Instead, he chose the Hong Kong situation, which was far from morally clear for those who have some understanding of the situation there. With that, he offended not only China, but also a large number of people in Hong Kong whose lives were affected by the events there.

#253 Easy, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

You just wait for their answers.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun blame ya, I just feel sad.

It is one thing to hate CCP but it is another to ignore that they were founded for a good reason. They did good.

Lelz you can’t know that. Most Chinese were really poor, ragged and poor when they fought the likes of the Brits.

Do you even know who the founders of Communism were even? They rose up because the KuoMinTang nationalists were so corrupt and easily bribed.

They were poor farmers that stood up. Are you saying those HK young ones come from a poor background?

Communism wouldn’t be that strong if the Nationalists took care of business, driving them invaders out.

It didn’t happen that way.

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

If you think the Brits were bad, CCP is 10x worse. They murdered millions of their own people and treats their people like pig.

17. desperatewife

desperatewife Member

How do you know CCP treat hk worse than British did.why?CCP want to setup a good example of one country two systems for Taiwan. Why CCP treat hk bad?On the contrary, Chinese mainland supply their best vegetables, meat, foods, water to HK. in 1998 global financial crisis, China even used reserved money from Central bank to support HK to get through the crisis

18. foh

foh Member

Can't conclusively say based on the statement's wording itself. It doesn't imply a mistake.

"I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event"

This doesn't imply that he hasn't heard other thoughts/interpretation prior to tweeting this particular one.

Easy likes this.
  19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How are they treating Xinjiang? Tibet?

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

Did anyone watch this episode of south park?

HoustonTexas and foh like this.