1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This thread is trying too hard. On a day like this it makes op a hard core koolaid slurper.

2. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

I rarely agree with you but you're right about the height and the skill set. Wait a minute - let me go to the tree in the backyard and shake it - maybe a 7 footer with the skill set of dmo will fall out. Do they think 7 footers grow on trees?!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

3. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, it kind of feels like a punt by Morey.

The pick will likely be in the 14 to 16 range, where the Rockets seem to end up more often than not.

They weren't able to make a move that helps this year's playoff run, so probably another season that ends with the Rockets in the middle of the pack.

Maybe we'll be back to singing Dork Elvis's praises by the end of next season, but for now, a solid meh.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Morey sucks, as long as he is GM the Rockets are ****ed.

DD

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is me also. A revolving door. Transactions after transactions.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Players know it too they will use us to get to a better team.

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey grooming his own successor would be great... now I am afraid we begin from 0.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

U til Morey is fired we are not winning crap.

DD

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

We aren't/weren't going to win as currently constructed.

Last year was amazing but everyone that matters around us got better (GSW, SAS, OKC and now LAC) and we didn't. Thus, we need to retool. Simple as that.

Before we are overly critical about Les' checkbook, remember that in the offseason we paid to keep guys (Bev and Brew) and went out to get guys (Lawson, Thornton and Smith) that push us past the tax line and look where it has us.

27-28 and out of the playoffs as of today.

If we were 41-14, I bet we would try to get better players and continue to cash in on some of our assets to better our team but we aren't.

In fact, before today, our assets to improve the team were very limited. Assuming we make the playoffs, the only assets we had were KJ McDaniels, DMo, some of our 2nds and maybe Harrell and Dekker.

As much as I love DMo, him being injured and a RFA to-be made him one of our weaker assets. None of those assets, even combined, would be enough to swing a top tier player our way. Proof of this is everyday before today because if Morey could have gotten a player that could help us now he would have used anything he could within reason, I believe that.

The fact we were able to turn Dmo into a top 8 protected 1st is pretty impressive. If Detroit makes the playoffs or not, that pick is going to be in the 10-20 range. There's a list of current NBA star players that were taken around that slot (George - 11, Leonard - 15, etc.) There is talent, great talent, in those slots.

Even if we don't use that pick on a player, we now have a great asset to swing at teams on draft night. If we miss the playoffs (which I think the Rockets should do), they will have two picks that will fall in the 10-20 range. Then we can use both picks to move up in the draft or use as bait for teams that are looking to rebuild and have talent available.

This is how we are going to improve the team. This is how we have always built our team, collect assets and flip them for better assets or real talent.

Also, now we can sign 2 max guys in the offseason. Before today, it would have been difficult. It would probably have to be like what we were planning to do a couple of seasons ago when Parsons was a RFA. We probably would have tried to sign 2 max players then use DMo's birds rights to go over the salary to keep him. I'm sure Morey remembers how well that happened last time. He probably didn't want to take that chance again.

Today sucked, no doubt. Losing a fan favorite always hurts and it does seem like the Rockets are going to lose on purpose now, which is just very disappointing but I am confident that the struggles of right now will forecast better days in the future.

10. rocketshopeful

I like Morey's use of analytics. refreshing.

11. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Didnt Morey draft the guy everyone is freaking out about?

12. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

And going back to the Dekker draft thread it doesnt seem like too many were upset with that draft either. 77% liked the pick.