1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Objectively you gotta think Les Alexander is completely pissed at the moment. Morey and the rest of the staff should be a bit uneasy for sure.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont know what Morey does but he seems to ruin superstars. Tmac loved playing here and suddenly didn't like management. Harden played hard first 2 years then he got lazy and arrogant. Even if we rebuild I highly believe history will repeat itself.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

So apparently Morey has the ability to transform personalities. Where do I get this superpower?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They get disconnected. He sucks as the spokesperson and the middleman between coach, stars, and owner.

5. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

What player can give their absolute best knowing they're only an asset and their future is uncertain as he's always looking to move players.

6. Raven

Raven Member

It's on Harden, and he knows full good and well that he's untouchable. Assuming he's playing like he wasn't out partying till 5am, the night before, that is.

7. DuDDleyDawsonII

Its hard to put all this on Morey .This is the same team thar overachieved last year minus J Smooth and got to the WCF with the coach he hand-picked . The players are mostly at fault with lack of effort, bad shooting, and turnovers.

8. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I don't get how Morey's fanboys tout his analytics and don't use any stats to back up his hilarious miscalculations. Since 2007 (Morey's first year), there have been 6 different NBA champions. Including those 6, there have been 9 different teams to reach the finals. That'd be 9 out of 30 - or put another way, 30% of the league has had more success than him by that metric alone. Is the 70th percentile really some kind of trophy?

Morey has kept the team at a 13th to 20th draft pick level since he got here with a one-year outlier. But people here think he's a top 3 GM... Hilarious.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

OK! it's all on Harden, but Morey should do somethings to improve this team, he brought Lawson, do anyone think it can work? Harden& Lawson can't work forever because of their defense suck. he signed KJ, but this guy can't play; he resigned Brewer, but i hadn't words to say this guy.
    Did Morey have done anything right this season? Ok, he fired McHale! Is it right? I don't know

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The thing that made Jerry West great was that he knew the game and could judge people's games and fit.

I believe Morey is still learning that side of things.

DD

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DOFn8dWc1_g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are underrating his communication skills. Very transparent and if he wanted you he was going to do whatever it takes.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

True, he was an excellent motivator - made players feel wanted....and less like assets.

DD

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Exhibit A. Morey thought McHale could coach.

From his first year here, fans were already clamoring for a change of coach. Morey stuck with him. So that's partly why the team is what it is--stuck in a mediocre offensive and defensive system.

Funny, Morey, the more things change (trying to get away from 14th seed), the more they stay the same.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If getting pissed let him do the right thing

Those guys have fked it up

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SO

What are Morey's faults as we see it?
    Main things needed for a GM are

1. Ability to Acquire talent? (Player and Coaching Talent)
    2. Ability to manage Contracts

Now.
    I think we question his ability to evaluate coaches?
    Do we question his ability to evaluate an acquire player talent?

Rocket River

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Without Morey, no Harden and Dwight. I don't know how he can be overrated for those 2 trade and signing alone. If egos didn't clash, we would not have this thread ever.

18. pst257

pst257 Contributing Member

There is not much trust with the players and Morey. I talked with a Public Relations manager for a NBA team last year, and he said that the word around the lNBA is that Morey gets rid of his players too fast, and that he is very arrogant thinking that he can get any big name free agent to come Houston each year. Players want stability. Look what happened to Brooks twice, Cisco, Dragic, Lin, Morris, Pat Patterson, Josh Smith, Canan, Dorsey, Martin, Lee, and Caspi to name a few. Players don't trust him, and it is beginning to show amongst the players. He also made a lot mistakes with the draft the last few years. Like drafting Royce White, and not drafting Portis or Devin Booker this past year.

#418 pst257, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great post.I literally just spoke to someone minutes ago that has a foot in the door at the toyota center. Theres a circle of groupie thots that chase the players around. I asked her who were the players, no surprise its Harden and Howard.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good thing I speak to noone, good for the blood pressure :p