1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Morey: Lin generated 3rd most wins in the team, one of the most efficient PnR Players out there.

ABJs: Morey is obviously lying...

Morey: Asik one of the most under rated big men...

ABJs: Morey is not trading Asik... He will trade lin... Asik is just a Morey type of player

Morey: Lin and Asik are not available...

ABJs: Morey is obviously lying... He is just being politically correct...

SMH....

2. lomahtw

lomahtw Member

In NBA, we have so often seen people talking this and then doing that. No words should be 100% believed until it is all put in paper. In this case, Asik and Lin could go any times if needed. Everything can happen in last minutes unexpectedly. Bear in mind that NBA is ALL business. Rox fans just have to wait until they read something like Dwight is signed, someone is to stay and go. Until then, we can still post and discuss.

3. whoisray

whoisray Member

Morey knows theres interest for Lin and Asik, and he's just a smart GM knows the value of their assets.

4. jason330i

jason330i Member

no way they waive beverley.

5. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

It's funny how some people are now trying to justify their previous response to a rumor by picking and choosing what to believe from a real "source" :grin:

This comment makes the most sense:

Hope people are more level-headed from now on.

6. HamJam

HamJam Member

Good point -- I totally agree with you across the board.

To clarify my point though, what I am saying is that his answer should not be understood as a statement that Asik will not be traded. To the extent that he is understood to be replying no to the question of "are you going to trade Lin and Asik" his answer is disingenuous. But that is a non-nuanced question and he is giving a nuanced answer, so the dis-ingenuousness is really incidental and not essential to his answer (in that, it is only disingenuous in reference to the overly simplistic structure of the question he was asked and which he would have been uncouth and unwise to answer directly).

Morey is pretty honest and open actually, but you have to understand the complexity of his answer and ignore the oft simplicity of the questions he is forced to respond to in order to appreciate his honesty.

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

this is pretty much it.

he probably was having a hard time moving trob, and accepted calls on lin and asik (or even made calls). but after we finalized the trob trade and have the cap space to sign dwight, they decided to keep lin and asik for now. i doubt morey would be so adamant about not moving these two if he really is actively shopping them. there are other ways to say you're leaving your options open rather than a flat denial. so no, i don't think there are plans to moving these two at the moment. i think at this point he has a good idea what he could get for these two and it's not what he's looking for.

8. HamJam

HamJam Member

Well, the thing is, at this point I think Morey expects to move Asik. I'm not saying he is actively searching for a trade (I'm not ruling that out either though), I'm just saying that I think he is planning on moving Asik. Not a desperation move or anything -- a good solid Morey move. But he can't say this for a myriad of reasons.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Believe me when I thought that too until I read BimaThug's cap analysis yesterday. Only by waiving all non-guaranteed contracts except for Parsons, can we offer Dwight the max.

The other option is to free up equivalent salary through trading White, T-Jones and D-Mo for no salary back.

If you believe Morey that Lin and Asik are not available AND that he has the cap room now to sign Dwight to the max, I can only think of him having the power right now to waive all our non-guaranteed contracts.

Unless he has already made a deal for White, T-Jones or D-Mo that all parties involved have managed to keep super secret (doubtful).

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well after all that it again looks like it's between us and the Lakers. I think we would still have to be the frontrunners because the Lakers are committed to Coach Pringles. Supposedly, him and Dwight don't mesh well.

Also, they will not be competitive next season. Dwight is going to have to go thru a wasted season in order to hope they will hit a grand slam in 2014 free agency. They don't have any players in place going into 2014 free agency. They will only have Steve Nash. They will have a lot of free agent flexibility, but they will have to fill an entire roster with the $9.7 million dead weight of Nash.

If Dwight truly is committed to winning then it's us or the Warriors. The Warriors are ruled out because the Lakers don't want a sign and trade. I still think we get Dwight.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wrong thread

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

When it comes to Lin, anything positive about him is obviously lying no matter what the source is even if it's a real and credible source; and anything negative about him is obviously reliable and justifiable even if the source is not cited, coming from unknown sources, or even facebook or twitter posts will do.

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's a reasonable and fair arguement.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Morey has always been very careful with his words. He said when they were trying to make cap room, they were taking calls in for both (Omer and Lin), but "we haven't, haven't... we are not looking to move either of those guys".

He was willing to listen.

Nothing ever came from it...

He changed from "we haven't" to "we are not looking" meaning he have, but they aren't looking to actively trade either guys. But of course, if the right deal come up, you wouldn't pass on it. This is standard practice.

The message of the past few days that indicate he was actively looking to trade these guys...

Has Morey ever actively look to trade a player and specifically said that he wasn't looking to move that player? I don't think I ever heard that before, but I could be wrong...

And so the message of the past few days that the Rockets were shopping Omer and Lin seem to be wrong.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Just remember, the source in this situation is not just a credible source... It's Morey, the man himself uttering those words.

16. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Let's just chill and wait till the 10th, these sources are gaining rep and popularity because you guys can't be patient lol

17. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I understand that, but it's just funny how everyone jumps on him about lying so quickly just because it's Lin related.

18. Vankenn

Vankenn Member

The Lin, Harden, Asik, Parsons, Howard team will be a very interesting team to watch. Play Lin, harden, and Howard the way they should be played and they will be a very though team to beat.

19. ERC

ERC Member

Beverley is NOT getting waived. He's worth so much more than his current contract (only $788k this season).

Morey can always trade away a couple of young players for future picks (a la the TRob trade to Portland) to clear cap space. Our young players have way too many upsides to be simply waived.

20. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

If Lin is a weak link then Beverly is a rusty link.