1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's possible he has been told he's being shopped.

Harden posted a welcome to Canaan on Twitter which Parsons and Beverly have retweeted. Canaan mentioned during his presser how Parsons was the only who had called him at that point.

This has been the only message he's posted on Twitter re: the draft.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>For those that didn't get drafted, it's not over yet. Your dream can still come true. Continue to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23believe&amp;src=hash">#believe</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23workhard&amp;src=hash">#workhard</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23teamUndrafted&amp;src=hash">#teamUndrafted</a></p>&mdash; Garrett Temple (@GTemp14) <a href="https://twitter.com/GTemp14/statuses/350472000059359233">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It was noted at some point this year by Feigen or was it Friedman that's he's usually one of the first to reach out with the player welcomes & goodbyes.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

sorry. it is not my intention to test your reading capability. i am just laughing at those ppl who are thinking morey lied about asik and lin trade rumors. it seems to me they can easily read morey's mind. why can't ppl just believe what he said and cast doubt on other resources?

3. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

lol wut?

you think beverley on offense puts more pressure on the d than lin does? lin is a better scorer, and i don't think that's arguable..

and wtf does the royce comment mean? what logic did i use that you somehow interpreted that.

why don't u back up ur post with anything worthwhile instead of pretending like i said something incredulous, then post something irrelevant, and shake your head.

4. Alex Betsios

Alex Betsios Member

LOL funny

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Poor Omer.

Had a breakout season of sorts, and will be relegated back to the bench if we get Howard.

6. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Lol Morey's a straight talker? He's got so much smoke screen going on it might as well be coming out of his ass.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

especially, he knows he could be a starter on any team but one with dh.

8. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

on the topic. no way moreys telling the truth. but i don't think he's looking to dump lin like deeks report, and certainly not with asik. if there's value (like any potential deal we look at), we'll look to jump on it. but if there isn't anything there, i think we're perfectly content with keeping them as well...until such a deal comes along. i think that's the point

9. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

keep asik, trade lin.

the ONLY reason Morey might keep Lin is marketing.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

One of the reasons you guys call him a liar is because you don't understand what he's actually saying.

He did not say Lin or Asik were UNTOUCHABLE. He said they weren't available. Meaning he's not trying to dump them or move them, but of course if someone offers him a good deal he'll listen on anyone. The idea that he called around trying to dump Jeremy is what he is dismissing.

Edit: Also to explain the GM who says he was offered Lin in a deal.

GM of the Pistons calls the Rox.

Dumars: Hey Morey, I hear you are trying to clear cap space to get Dwight. We'd be interested in Lin.

Morey: OK let's talk. We'd be willing to trade Lin for Drummond.

Dumars: No thanks.

Morey: OK.

Next day, Dumars to reporter

Dumars: We were offered a trade that included in Jeremy Lin. Definitely. But it didn't match up between us.

Reporter writers headline:

Source: Rockets trying to trade Jeremy Lin.

2 people like this.
  11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i believe morey told the truth. rox is not looking for moving either. i believe other teams may test the water coz rox might look for cap space to sign dh. the rumors must come from those teams' wishes.

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree with those doubting the veracity of what Morey is saying. I mean, he is doing the right thing -- he is being political, he is respecting the feelings of Asik; but how often have we seen him trade someone he had said he was not looking to trade and then just tell reporters that "he did not plan on making a trade but he could not pass up this awesome trade that no one would have ever expected to be available".

As Titus Pollo said -- "Nobody's a traitor until they are." Not to say Morey is a traitor -- far from it, Morey is awesome, and I am sure Asik would rather get traded to a team he can start for than back up Howard anyway -- I am just saying, Morey is not planning on trading anybody until he is.

Things change. New offers get presented. Morey is pretty honest about his willingness to make any trade that improves the team, and Asik is included in that (unlike Harden). Morey is not going to say they want to move Asik, that would lower the value they could get for him and unnecessarily embarrass Asik in the media. And Morey probably is not pounding pavement looking for an Asik deal -- however, if Howard ends up here, a lot of teams will be inquiring and Morey will be happily fielding those calls, trying to improve this team.

Waiting for that offer that "no one ever thought would be available" that he always finds and that always justifies him trading the player he had previously said he was not looking to trade.

13. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, he can play a little bit of basketball. :rolleyes:

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

But see, what you said does not ding the veracity of what Morey said. Morey has never said "If someone offers me a deal that improves the team but includes Asik or Lin I'm not interested." He said he's not looking to move either player, and in the case of Asik specifically he addressed that it's not as simple as an improvement at the 4 means dump Asik. He laid out Asik's value to the team going forward and how it is still important, more valuable than just a random hypothetical power forward upgrade. That doesn't mean he'd turn down Asik for Lamarcus Aldridge specifically.

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

And that's exactly what happens!!!

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Morey is smart. He's not going to straight up say yes we're shopping these two around. Dwight made it clear he wants a third star, and its obvious we can't get a third star and expect to have any type of bench if we keep Asik and lin.

Morey is a smart GM though. he knows how to get around things without offending anyone

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

absolutely things can change. at the moment the interview occurred i don't think rox was looking for moving either or both.

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

sorry justtxranks, i thanked JR before, not you. I just assumed it was JR. So thank you for posting the most significant breaking news since the meeting.

From the second half transcript:
    -Host: Recap: Most important thing you said is that Jeremy Lin and Omer are not available. Only last resort if S&T to get dwight?

-Daryl: No sign and trade to get Dwight. Lakers are not interested in doing that. We have the room to sign him on the 10th and we hope he goes our direction.

Lin and Asik are not available.

This is the only reason why I said Beverley and G.Smith might be waived according to BimaThug's latest cap room analysis (read it!). Morey says "We have the room to sign him (Dwight) on the 10th. If Lin and Asik are not available, Beverley and G.Smith's non-guaranteed contracts might have to be waived...

unless there is a secret deal to trade a combination of D-Mo, T-Jones and White for no money coming back.

People can believe what they want to believe about Morey's truthfulness. This information outweighs any reporter or insider information because you're getting it straight from the person responsible. I personally believe what Morey says more than these reporters trying to make headlines and quoting "league sources". But hey, that's just from my own intuition.

In Morey I Trust

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

ABJ crowd.

20. pnr

pnr Member

Lin is staying if howard doesnt sign here. Sorry to burst your bubble