1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Do you remember the "basketball reasons" deal? Do you remember how Scola and Martin played after they found out they were dealt but the NBA blocked the trade?

What possible advantage does Morey gain by admitting he has shopped Lin and Asik?

It would be irresponsible of Morey to say "Well yeah, we totally are willing to move Lin and Asik. We are not paying $32,000,000 on centers and I want the cap space from Lin to get another player, especially with Beverly being better."

No one wins if Morey discusses private discussions, not the players, not Morey, not the team, not the coaches.

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Really wish they would have asked him about reportedly meeting with Josh Smith. I'm not sure the meeting took place.

3. s3ts

s3ts Member

Deals were already being made. For what we got out of the trade, it was pretty darn good, so we had to do it. We also have to show our commitment so D12 can meet us half way. I think Rockets are the only organization who have done that so far, which hopefully is the difference between us and every other team in the decision-making process.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I really like what I'm reading from this interview with Morey. The Rockets are going all-out on Dwight. If we don't get him, no regrets or concerns that they could have tried harder. Just wasn't meant to be.

Also, really glad they seem committed to Lin. He gets a really unfair rap around here. Lin is a special young player who has got a ton of upside potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an all-star team or two in a few years.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Do you really think he's gonna come out and say "Uh yeah. We are shopping Jeremy!" Morey isn't stupid..

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep we went balls to the wall, but it would be utterly demoralizing to say the least. Getting that second star is so tough.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

All star team... well Yao was 7'6.

8. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

why?

beverley shot 38% from three second half of the season when he joined. so did lin in that same stretch tho...lin is also a better playmaker and puts more pressure on the d. and worked well with harden in that 2nd half of the season.

yea, i know lin sucked ass in the playoffs. but for the most part of the 2nd half of the season, he was pretty solid. more solid than beverley. and beverley wasn't all that impressive in the PS either. he didnt provide any playmaking, had a streaky-ish shot, and wasn't standout defensively either...despite playing 30+ minutes.

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

wow, ppl just go crazy. everyone here knows what morey said is a lie. if you can figure out the lie that easy, it's hard to believe the whole world doesn't know it is a lie. so what's the point for morey to lie????????????????????????

10. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Because most people are ignorant about NBA market in China. They think the people there only follow the Rockets, and have never heard of Lebron, Kobe, or Howard. They think that Chinese fans would rather watch a team with a Chinese player, than an NBA championship team. :rolleyes:

Maybe Dwight is gullible enough to think that his endorsements in China will be worth billions if Yao Ming says so.

11. Nook

Nook Member

He made the trade when he did to send a message to Dwight that the Rockets are all in, that they can sign Dwight at his pleasure. There is a big difference when recruiting him between "Well we can make a move to get the money to sign you Dwight. Trust me, we have the offers out there" and "We have the capspace for your max contract."

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What in the hell are you babbling about?
    :confused:

Do you realize most folks probably have to read your posts multiple times to figure out what you are saying? How bout working on expressing your thoughts in ways OTHER people can understand?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly 300,000,000 people and China watch the Rockets, which is larger than watch the Lakers.

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thank you JR much appreciated.

Morey is a pretty straight talker and there is no reason to doubt his word.

I'm glad Morey gave this interview because it reinforced most of what I'd been thinking and blew up a lot of the rumours that have been circulating.

Key points:
    - Most important. No sign and trades!!!
    - Lin and Asik will not be traded (Dwight wants to play with Lin and Asik)
    - Rockets fielded calls for Lin and Asik (not the other way around)
    - Asik will come off the bench and only share minutes with Dwight as an experiment.

What does this translate to in practical terms?
    - no Josh Smith or other big free agent acquisitions if we get Dwight.
    - Beverley and G.Smith might be waived to create room for Dwight (see Bima's cap analysis)
    - T-Jones or D-Mo gonna fight it out for the starting PF position

IN MOREY I TRUST

15. Nook

Nook Member

Beverley being waived huh? I wouldn't count on that. The Rockets are far more likely to trade Lin than waive a player that is less experienced, is making a fraction of the money Lin is making, and production wise was similar.

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Every LOFs wet dream.

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He will trade lin in a heartbeat to make room for Smith to pair him up with Harden and Howard. He is being politicaly correct. They were saying kevin martin was a required player.bang. Tmac was required, bang. ....

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Did I read that right. Did u just say lin puts more pressure on the D?.....

Really man... By your logic Royce white is a better playmaker than harden
    SMH.... SMH indeed

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It's unbeeliveble.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't see how Beverley and/or Greg Smith will be waived. I think that would be ludicrous. Maybe it has to happen but at the very least you trade them for a pick or something. I would be shocked if the Rockets didn't get any takers considering their contracts are so minimal. The Rockets have so many cheap guys on deals which makes the Rockets so appealing IMO. You have a handful of potential contributors on the team making less than 1.6 mil each. I think Morey has to try to find a way to keep the unbelievably cheap depth he has blessed us with. He will find a way.