1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

We would have fantastic depth if we held onto Lin and Asik.

Lin / Beverly / Canaan
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Brewer
    Jones / Motiejunas
    Howard / Asik / Smith

Looks pretty good to me. Basically, holding onto Asik and Lin is a gamble that either Jones or Motie will pan out. I would bet on one of them becoming a championship starting caliber power forward.

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Beverley reminds me of a Darrell Armstrong or Bobby Jackson. Great backup, but I need someone else to be the starter for the full 82.
    If they do get rid of Lin, they need an alternate plan other than Beverley.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I believe he gauged their value too. That's just smart and what I would expect Morey to do. But would you agree unless some great offer comes out of the blue that Morey is set with Lin and Asik for now. Because that's what he is implying and I think he is being genuine at this point. But maybe he couldn't have said that a week ago.

That's my thought on it. Plus not trading anyone now leaves the possibility for a better opportunity later. LMA anyone.

4. HamJam

HamJam Member

I agree. If nothing else he can always trade Beverley for future picks to pretty much any other team in the NBA -- probably even get most of them to take on Royce as well.

I don't think he will or should though. Beverley is awesome.

5. dragician

dragician Member

LA is not interested in ST? Sounds BS to me. they just let him walk...

6. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Presumably nothing will happen with Lin and Asik until we have Howard signed, or at least publicly committed. The thing is, once we reach the point of having Howard and Harden we are moving into a different realm of team management... ideally of keeping core guys playing together and getting years of experience with each other in a consistent system. So if guys are going to get traded, getting traded now is better than next year.

With his two stars in place, I think it becomes a statistics problem... good role players and on any given year you have an x% chance of winning it all. That is his kind of problem. Interesting to see how it works out.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

It's not BS. They would get hammered with 70-80 million in luxury tax penalties by trading him.

8. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Member

second part of that interview didn't happen. ban OP. misleading. morey didn't say anything about T-Rob or Lakers not doing a S&T.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fighton

Fighton Member

well, yes and no. kobe is the most popular player anywhere including china. dwight will certainly be in the chinese spotlight if he stayed on the lakers. heck, any starter would be if you're on the lakers.

but the rockets also give you that with their established presence and lin. i highly doubt harden would be doing his china and taiwan tour this summer if he was still a Thunder.

10. mikennite

mikennite Member

Trading Lin will not "kill two birds with one stone." If we trade him for a 4 spot, we'll still have a weak link in our point guard. Well actually, what pf can we trade Lin for? Atlanta is only shipping away Josh Smith if we trade them Asik. We can't just straight up trade Lin for a PF, Asik needs to be a part in a deal that'll will give us a pf. IMO, we're better off developing T.Jones and DMO, than outright trade for a better PF.

11. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I really think Lin would excel as the 6th man role for the rockets if thats our lineup. Mix in small ball with him and Bev in some situations....the rockets would be really dangerous with this lineup.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Remember, the interview was 5am in the morning.

He sounded tired and half asleep to me. I really didn't get the sense he was lucid enough to be smoke screening. He seemed to be trying his best just to have energy for the interview and I think the interviewers sensed that too, that's why they went straight to the important questions.

13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

I think Lin stays. If you can filter out the noise from LOHs and ABJ posters, there just isn't a very good reason to move Lin IF we sign Dwight. What are we getting for him? What is even available? I'd gauge the market, but there just isn't too many great offers that improve our team out there for him.

Asik, on the other hand, is high value and sought after by other teams. Moving him for Millsap or JSmith or whatever...I can see that happening. If we get Dwight, he becomes a lot more redundant, esp. if Morey is serious about rarely playing the two together. 15-20 min of Asik for $8.3M? Sorry, we can milk more out of him if we moved him then.

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

and that's probably why this was leaked out by another GM. it this other GM wants lin or asik, it works to HIS advantage to leak the info and force Morey to make a trade in order for the same scola/martin situation NOT to happen again. all morey can do is deny it, and hope lin and asik buy it.

personally, i doubt lin and asik will mail it in even if they know they're being shopped. they're both professionals and will give it their all even in light of this.

15. CDrex

CDrex Member

Frankly, if I were Omer I'd want no part of staying. He's earned a starting center position in this league.

I'm not saying I don't personally want Dwight, but I think keeping Asik as a backup would be a pretty big slap in the face after he averaged a double-double for us.

I have no desire to see both play together either. Spacing would be awful. Things would have aligned better if the megastar free agent of the year was a PF with midrange game.

At any rate, it's still nice that Daryl doesn't consider Omer trash to be disposed of like some people here. Having too many talented centers would be a rare problem in this league. Probably best for all parties involved if he could be the centerpiece of a trade for a real PF.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

That experimental "Twin Tower" time together Morey was talking about would probably be the first 6m of each half and then staggered minutes for the rest of the game giving each player about 30min each. Asik would finish close games of course until Dwight improves his free throws.

17. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

i agree. as someone who isn't really a fan of Lin i think he would be beneficial to us coming off the bench. He's not a starting PG, at least on our team. thats why i say trade him. LOFs can be happy that he can finally showcase his talent (if Linsanity is possible to exist for more than a few games) and everyone else can enjoy a player we feel more comfortable with as far as money/skill goes.

18. LiveEatSleepRox

If it all works out I would LOVE to see Omer playing heavy backup minutes at Center until we find out 100% whether Dwight is fully recovered. I would much rather see Lin being traded for another point than Omer gone.

However, it's really reassuring to hear Morey actually confirm that they aren't openly shopping Lin/Omer or even making them available. The young core starting 4 from last year (plus whoever improves the most at the 4 spot) has got to stay.

19. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

So GMs called in about Lin and Asik... does that mean the source that said Lin was offered was lying? Or he just left out the fact that he called first?

20. landryfans

landryfans Member

Someone please tell me what is "ABJ", I see it along with LOH.