1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Finishes Third in Executive Of The Year Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morlock O, May 10, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Totally unfair... clippers GM 2nd Denver 1st? they are all 1st round exit...

2. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Whatever with Denver.....BUT Clippers?! Are you kidding me!?

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The Clippers:confused::confused:,
    They lost the only reason they won of memphis last year (Reggie Evens), and got nothing major in return. They didn't do anything to improve their team.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Denver's okay... higher seed, deep enough to compete with major injuries, swindled Brooklyn of a potential all star draft pick and actually pulling the trigger on Lillard. Luck has a lot to do with this just as luck gave us Harden.

I don't mind Morey not winning until they advance past the freakin first round.

Realistically, we could've been one healthy Dallas team from making the playoffs and revisiting the nightmare that was last season.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm kinda okay with Clippers, they have one of the deepest rosters and best bench units in the league.

Still confused with Denver winning, the 10mil+ for McGee(who plays 15mins constantly) are mind-boggling, plus they have no roster flexibility or star and no good draft picks in the future.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I started off interested in what type of GM Morey wold be and initially was unimpressed. I was critical of him on this board and took flack for that. But as time went on I could see he was improving and his analytics were becoming more valuable. I now believe Morey has evolved into the best GM bar none in this league.

No one has come close to what he has done this year. In fact what he accomplished is unprecedented. He scrapped a whole roster except for one 2nd round rookie and a dleague undrafted player and molded that into a playoff team that with a few breaks could have beaten last year's western conference finals champs. It is ridiculous that he did not win. He is much more than a GM. He is a behind the scenes coach. He is the creator of our run and react offense not McHale. He is behind our defense which he said himself they kept simple to be easier on the youth.

I always loved Rudy because I thought he was an innovator. But Morey is head and shoulders above him. His only weakness IMO is he probably places too much importance in analytics ove the human element causing him to miss players like Larry Sanders and Kawhi Leonard but even in that area I think he has improved much. Royce White was really trusting McHale and Hoiberg and not his own instinct which said he was a risk. And that's the other thing. He quickly learns from his mistakes, So this award is basically meaningless that he didnot get it.

I expect us to improve in every area next year and McHale to get coach of the year because of Morey and that's the real proof. When we make it to the finals next year. It will be clear he deserves all the awards that can be bestowed upon him.

1 person likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Not unfair... the knicks gm deserves props too... Denver was a third seed in the deep west. He deserved that award and george carl as well.

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

who has the most roster change this season? Morey
    who has the least amount of salary this season? Morey
    who has one of the youngest team? Morey
    who's team was the biggest surprise this season? Morey
    who's team got harden for 5 years? Morey

tell me what has the other gms done this season and lets compare?

9. Mariachi ROCKET

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I guess the problem is that besides a few games from Jones, the three rookies he drafted had done absolutely nothing this season.

But Harden, Asik, Lin and Beverley, that's pretty impressive.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

We also had the All-Star game, so in return they are shafting us. Morey did more than improve our lineup, he re-energized the franchise and made the Rockets the talk of the NBA. Asik, or Harden should of finished higher than what they finished at for Most Improved. It is about time D.Stern leaves the Empire.

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I don't think its fair to judge GM based on 1st mid tier draft picks... as 80% of the time they are busts or just role players... if it was top ten picks then thats a different conversation... you rate a GM base on trades, free agency pick ups, current team contracts, current team performance etc...

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am astounded he did not win. After reading the article, the Denver guy was pretty impressive, too. But going from a bunch of old guys who can't make the playoffs and nobody wants to come to. to the youngest playoff team in the league in a few months; to have a young team with a 23 year old superstar and a supporting cast that is the talk of the league, has the cap space and is now attractive to a superstar; picking up Lin and Asik and Beverly without any trade assets; picking up Delfino and Garcia, too.

Are you kidding me? I though Morey would win in a walk.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Maybe other executives don't like Morey.

15. gengar

gengar Member

To be fair, there's only 1 Harden to go around. And he started to seem overrated near the end of the season.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The bottom line is that it's an extremely superficial award, and that's why I highly doubt Daryl cares much about it.

The Nuggets and Clippers are "stories". That's basically what it comes down to. The Nuggets are the inspiration for 75% of the league... teams want to believe so badly that superstars aren't a prerequisite for legit contention. The Clippers, meanwhile, were a laughingstock for decades. They're both feel-good, superficial stories, and for a largely meaningless award, that's enough.

I do find it funny, though, that a large part of the logic for George Karl as coach of the year was about the tremendous job he did relative to the talent (no stars). And yet now we're awarding the GM executive of the year for the roster he put together? Um, which is it?

17. conquistador#11

they just couldn't stomach giving it to a rocket. I take that back. The clippers did manage to get blake griffin and cp flop this season. =/

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Agreed

Harden's playoffs along with the tail end of the regular season was a bit of a disappointment. People seem to give Morey the edge based on the future, but the future hasn't happened yet. Harden could end up a disappointment, who knows? We may not sign any key FA's this offseason and be back in the lottery next year. This type of stuff happens all the time

Morey had a good season and silenced a lot of critics. But he still has work to do

19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Clippers???? WTF?? What have they done? Now I really hope Chris Paul doesn't return to that crappy franchise.

20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Harden a disappointment? Good lord this forum is trashy sometimes....