1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey did the right thing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Do you agree with not trading for Carmelo Anthony if it included Gordon/Capela?

1. Yes

87.7%
  2. No

12.3%
  1. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Lol I doubt Melo stays in okc. I mean gp13 might but I doubt it too. But I don’t see how Melo stays there more than a year. Then he can choose where to go. Prob to find the right banana.... boat :p

Also this will show everyone if RW really deserved the mvp last season. If they don’t get a better record or go to the semis or finals. Let’s see how the ball gets distribute now that he (Russ) has more “help”. And let’s see how they figure out how they distribute their points and who gets the ball in the final minutes.

Hopefully it all implodes =p. I like GP13 n Melo but I don’t like Russ.
    Imagine okc losing not one not two but three stars next year. :)

#101 cerophilik, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Roll with our current CP3/Harden + solid depth roster. I'm fine with it. I'm optimistic that the Rockets will be back better than last year's squad.

Oh and EGO? He's a stud. He might not be the sexy household name superstar, but he is darn good at what he does. I'm glad that we still have him in the stable AFTER CP3 and Harden....let that sink in for the doubters and downers.

And yeah I would have been fine with trading RYNO for Melo. But I was concerned Ego or Capela would have been required to make it work.

Now we are "stuck" with Ryno who we all know is an incredible floor spacer regardless of a bad shooting night. He very well could improve his home 3-PT shooting this season. He couldn't shoot worse than last year right? Let's hope he does better.

Last season, Harden played out of his mind and got a bit fatigued in the playoffs. NOW WE HAVE CP3 as well with the same corp cast from last season with a couple of great defensive signings as well.

Just roll with this current roster with confidence.....

DeeMien and cerophilik like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that is entirely untrue.

It is incredibly hard to a guy with Clint's skillset. How many C's can defend the pick and roll like he can in open space for switches with guys like Steph and Durant, and then convert at the rim at near historic rates. Not only that, but we saw him shoot 70% against the Spurs at the FT line.

You don't trade a guy like that unless you are bringing in a big gun at the 5. Nene lasting a whole season? LOL. Tarik Black? Come on man.

DeeMien likes this.
  4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Don’t worry guys next year when okc has none of them this will feel much better. Only way they might.. might stay is if they win it all. And even then I would still think they leave to some other place that they like better or a place to play with their buds. IMO

lionaire and DeeMien like this.
  5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

And I agree with you, but it's not losing Capela and debating the Center alternative. It's losing Capela, and adding star power. It's like when people say we can't trade our role playing starter for a star of a different position cause now we're short that position. You figure that **** out.

mario_v likes this.
  6. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yup. N our defense got much better too. I like harrell and decker but their def was average. Luke and tucker are much better defenders. N Chris is better or a bit better than Pat. Which we will all miss but Chris offense is much better. :)

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The difference here I think is some are confused tbh and think Carmelo is a star, he's a role player at this point in his career, like Andre Iguodala or Wade.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

#ActRight #DoTheRightThing @ABS

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Rockets can get Melo next year if they want to now and not give up nothing.

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Absolutely not. He's not Melo of 09-12. But he's still a very capable scorer. In a free flowing offense, at the 4, he's more than capable.

He still has All Star ability. Look at him last summer. And in a reduced overall role, and playing off Cp3 even greater.

Then look at the political side of it, we're a destination spot. That factor is huge.

And then the other part, we're going to have pay Capela big money soon.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Maybe Morey just didn't think he was a star and that his addition was worth losing multiple rotation players. Look at what OKC gave up. That's trash. Cleveland never offered anything more than trash too. During the regular season when the Clippers were on his list, they weren't even willing to do an offer of Austin Rivers, Pierce who has retired, and a 37 yo Jamal Crawford. This should tell u what teams think of Carmelo. Carmelo's value was not worth a prospect like Clint Capela or multiple rotation players. If anything, u can be mad that Morey didn't keep Sam Dekker or something in the CP3 trade since a deal like Ryno, Dekker, and the 2020 1st is probably something NY would've taken.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Giving up Capela to get a 28 year old Carmelo Anthony is one thing. The 33 year old version? Come on, now.

Daddy Long Legs and Reeko like this.
  13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Morey was calling NYKs bluff, and held firm. Melo had the power, but caved.

OKC was gifted Melo, and PG for that matter, due to Quire.

1 year less on a contract, but no 1st rounder. I think it became pettiness. New York is happier he's in OKC, than the trade itself. Much like Indiana.

But Morey had no reason to offer more. Melo held the cards, he just submitted.

DeeMien likes this.
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Nobody is saying the Rockets haven't improved. It's just not everyone agrees on how Clint Capela fits in a potential series with the Warriors. And sure, it's a shame that we are having this conversation about a good young player, but the reality is if you want to win a title right now, you have to build a team to beat the Warriors. Not the Spurs, Thunder, etc. The Warriors can completely neutralize Capela's impact on the game with their lineup of death. They can't do that with a player like Melo. For a big man to play against Golden State, they have to be able to punish Golden State for being small on the offensive end. Someone like Cousins is the type of big man that could do that. Capela isn't.

Then after this season, Capela will hit RFA and won't be dirt cheap anymore, which means his value is at its peak right now.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

So then what's the issue? Morey offering up something like Capela for Melo would've been a huge overpayment. Melo was clearly not worth multiple rotation players or a young prospect like Capela, yet some people are mad Morey didn't offer him up. Melo barely had positive value, that should be pretty clear by now.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. DVauthrin

I'm not saying Capela is worthless or a bad player. Far from it. But he's a wasted asset against the best team in the league that the Rockets must figure out how to beat if they want the CP3 and Harden pairing to result in a championship.

I also advocated making Capela the centerpiece of an offer to Indiana for Paul George. Big swingmen like Melo and George are what it takes to matchup with Golden State, not centers like Capela. And you can find serviceable rim protectors cheaply to replace what Clint does. Finding 6'8-6'9 SF/PF hybrids that can be dynamite stretch fours while guarding a player in the Warriors small lineup is much more difficult.

17. DVauthrin

The point of a trade is to make your team better first and foremost, then you worry about winning the deal or getting the right value. And Capela's value isn't as high as most people here think. He's not likely going to be the centerpiece of any deal bringing back a 3rd star to the Rockets. Especially not after he gets paid as a restricted free agent after the season.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

adding Carmelo and losing multiple rotation players does not make us better...

Do u see what he went for and what had been offered for him? That was his worth, period.

DeeMien likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree that Capela can be completely neutralized . And that's without seeing whatever growth he undergoes / how he plays with Paul AND harden.

The traditional center is dead vs them I agree . But a PnR threat is always playable . Especially if that guy can add in offensive rebounding .

Defenses have to give up something .

As great as GS' Defense is ... They can't cover all of our shooter , guard the pick and role to the rim , cover harden or Paul as a catch and create threat , AND box out for rebounds .

And on defense ... If Capela can maintain his quickness he's about the perfect 5 to play vs green. He's the only guy that had a chance to stop him last year and he will only gain more knowledge .

Clint could very well be our 3rd best player . He might be our 6th best player ... Who knows at this point . The potential is there .

DeeMien likes this.
  20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I put that I agreed

But let me clarify

I would not trade Capela, but I would have included Gordon in the deal to land Melo if it's what was required to make the deal. I understand he was the 6th man and has a huge impact. No one can just waltz in and fill his role. I'm a huge Gordon fan, but with his history of ailments and basically just being so injury prone it's worth the exchange-- I'm positive we could find someone, not nearly as good as Gordon to fill his shoes to a decent degree- and we would have had melo

If you are a numbers guy like Morey says he is.. there is just too big of a chance we have no melo and we have no Gordon for the year :/ compared to having Melo, a shot at the chip this year, and being a free agent paradise for great players chasing a ring next offseason. The benefits far outweigh the risks.

TLDR Version: There is a great chance, statistically that Gordon goes down this year. If Melo goes down, atleast we would have been a destination place for free agents next offseason.

#120 Realjad, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017