1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Best GM Rockets ever had?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marteen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

DM is great but untill he will get us a ring or atleast a superstar, no.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Let's not get carried away, he's only been on his own as GM for 3 years. I'm a Morey fan but let's not let his cult following distract from the fact that he's won all of one playoff series.

Will he be the best when all is said and done? I'd like to think so. But can't say much yet.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Omygod I love Daryl Morey. I can't find the words to describe how I feel. He makes me so glad just to be alive.

4. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

The year Dream was drafted Portland offered to give us Clyde Drexler and the number 2 pick in the draft, with which we could have taken MJ. MJ, Dream, and Drexler all on the same team, we would have dominated the league for a long time.

5. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

The Houston Heat..

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

86 team would have dominated the league
    thanks Michael Ray Richardson
    thanks Boston's hard foul on Ralph

7. rv2843

rv2843 Member

DM is overrated. Needless to say, he is absolutely excellent, but overrated.

Other than talent, people relationship is MORE important. Sometimes, you need to give up something and do others some favor, then down the road, other GMs will return a facor to you. Look at what DM has done so far, great. But these are all non major transactions which do not put Rockets into contenders (so big deal). Has he be able to do what Miami has accomplished this year or a few years when they acquired Shaq? No.

Using stock market as anolog: he is good at finding penny stocks and make 1000% gain on it. But a trader will not become a billionare by day trading. He has to have his own wagon (e.g. companies). He so far has not been able to create his own wagon.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

9. albuster

albuster Member

He could have drafted Jordan instead. Steve Patterson is the best. Morey has to win three rings to beat Steve.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

talking about this?

..Traded by the Pistons to the Houston Rockets for Robert Horry, Matt Bullard and two second-round draft picks on 2/4/94; trade voided when Elliott failed physical on 2/7/94.

Patterson wasn't the GM in 94.
    Aug. 30, 1993 -- Alexander fires Patterson as Rockets general manager.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Oooh, Morey. The things you do, just brighten my days

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

You just blew my mind.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's on track. Let's wait and see the results.

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

Morey has a long way to go. In fact, I am disappointed that we could not get anything out of TMAC&Yao, a combo should have been long discarded.

CD has done a much better job as a matter of creating a chance for the team: #2 pick, #1 pick, TMAC, ... Unfortunately, his assets were not as good as the hype. The JVG hiring killed everything.

I am still waiting for Morey's very first step.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

2 championships, then we open the debate.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Hell no. Not until he wins two Championships at least.

18. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

It's about Luck, Positioning, wits, and just overall stats. DM has shown us what he can do I believe we will have if not 2, 1 we will have in the next 5 years.

Till we see the Rings.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't know if he is the best GM that we ever had bcuz he hasn't brought championship to the rockets yet but he is certainly one of the most creative GMs out there.

20. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

You're kidding right? How long did we suffer during the Francis years? Mo Taylor, Shandon Anderson, Matt Mahoney, moochie norris, Eddie griffin, CATO...morey cleaned up his mess...

all the failed draft picks we had-boki, bryce drew, roddrick rhodes, novak, all those other players that never made to NBA....

drexler wanted to come home....barkley wanted to play with clyde and hakeem...Pippen was a good signing (at the time, he sux)....not getting J Oneal when trading Pippen to PTL

Getting rid of francis ,mobley for tmac was a good move, but again TMAC wanted to play with Yao.....

Yao fell in their laps.....

CD did a horrible job and should have been fired a long time ago for passing out those horrible contracts.....

You cant fault morey striking out on Lebron, Bosh, Amare...They DIDNT WANT TO COME HERE.....has to do with more the city in comparison to the prime location such as nY, Miami, Chi, LA

Morey stacked the team with assets to trade for an elite player....however, Melo has to agree he wants to come here.....NY or Houston life wise? where would you chose?