1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darren Collison could be a great/cheap pickup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wiseguyX, Jun 7, 2015.

?

Is Darren Collison good enough

1. yeah

74 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. nah

21 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. i like cheeeeese

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

start or backup, hopefully splitting pg minutes with bev. but rockets should try to package jones, 18th, kostas and filler for a starting pg. i belive smith strongly considering coming back for cheap so jones can be traded. rockets can s&t one of their free agents in the deal.

2. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

Collison has proven he can be a starting caliber player. Pat and Llull will never be able to take pressure off James. And neither are starters in this league. (Beverley maybe for a few teams. Llull, hell no)

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Is Collison actually available? Id love Collison

4. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

They will get some younger assets in return. Plus they have Ray Mcallum who is good enough to be a backup with an even cheaper contract.

5. Chamillionaire

Bev was hurt almost the whole year. He's a different player when healthy. We definitely need someone to play other than Bev and Llull is better than any of the PGs we could get at 18 now.

I'd rather get one of the PFs there. Lyles, Looney, Harrell, Portis.

After Russell (Harden) and Mudiay, none of the PGs other than Payne who will be gone interest me. Grant and Wright don't seem like differnce makers. I think Nick Johnson is better than Andrew Harrison.

We have to get a PG through either a trade or try to get Payne and Wright // Jones distint 2nd and 3rd.

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

We definitely need a solid back up point guard. Prigionipayees above expectations but was not particularly game changing. I'd love to see us pick up Lawson and allow us to play Beverley/Lawson combo with beverley guarding the 2 guards. I recently saw Jameer Nelson was planning on opting out. This dude can be acquired with a minimum by now, right?

Back court:

Harden/Beverley/Terry
    Lawson/Nelson/Nick Johnson

Someone also mentioned Collison. I wouldn't mind him instead of Lawson if Lawson is just a pipe dream

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Collison, but I wonder how well is he going to play after hip surgery.

8. Chamillionaire

I'd personally rather have Llull than Collison.

A healthy Bev and Llull, plus another year for NJ. Nelson sounds intriguing though. He was playing great with the ponies last year.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

is Collison expected to make a full recovery?

10. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Yeah. If Llull comes over I would much rather have him than Collison too given that Llull can contribute immediately and there isn't some bullcrap learning curve he has to go through that could take a couple years.

How bad do you think the injury Collison had will affect him overall in the future?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He'd be nice to have around but you'd have to re-sign Beverley. Beverley or Collison, a contract, along with Lull's rights would be nice to dangle mid-February in exchange for a legitimate long-term solution at PG. I can see a team like Miami that needs to go ahead and rebuild being interested (and Lull wanting to play and start there) for Dragic (if he's re-signed).

12. malakas

malakas Member

If they trade for Lawson i can see making collison available. If they get Rondo however,it will likely be on a cheap 1+1 contract and even they wouldnt trust him enough to trade collison. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. However a trade for bev for collison wouldnt make any sense for sac eother way. Bev is worse and will likely be more expensive. Some other assets will have to be given.

13. Garner

Garner Member

Watch ten games of Darren collison and you will quickly become disenchanted.

14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

He can barely play for Rick Carlisle

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

That's a great idea we can acquire a cheap player that does not solve our problems!

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The cheese option was too tempting.

17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Not that I've studied this year's crop of wing players... But if you're dead set against drafting a PG at 18,why not look at a wing? I'm relatively happy with DMO (and hoping capela can play some TT with Howard in the next couple years.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure would help.... cheap yep so above average but not great

19. adoo

adoo Member

collision is JLin-lite, less dependable outside shooter, not quite as capable of controlling the pace of the game,
    but a dirtier defender, tho not as good as beverly on the D​

20. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Not even close to being true. Collison is an excellent shooter. Lin has no control of the game, often jumping head first into a clogged lane and turning it over.