1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darius Miles??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 18, 2000.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I have recently spoken with one scout who has watched Darius Miles play. This kid is being called 'Freakish' and 'so athletic, he makes Rashard look uncoordinated.'

Three things...

One - Darius Miles isn't getting alot of pub from the org. and it's by design. I do NOT know, as of now, what the plans are but hopefully will know more SAT. night.

Two - Where there's Kelvin, there's fire. All I can say is do not dismiss ANY rumors regarding Cato. If KC is a Rocket this fall, things will have fallen completely out of whack.

Three - Spoke to my boy within the Pistons org. He's saying that Grant is soooo tight lipped right now that it's common knowledge that he's leaving and he doesn't mind. My guy said that the word inside is that he REALLY does want to play with Tim and is considering playing in SA. I thought all those rumors were BS but I trust this guy and he says that's the word going through the offices. Hmm...

He did not in any way mention Houston as a destination for Timmy D...sorry! ;(

My take is this - Rockets move into top 4 based on Chicago's positions. Cato is moved and the Rox go with Swift. However, if Cato can't be moved, Rox go Darius Miles. The Miles call is because the scout tippy-toed around it and it seemed odd. This is MY TAKE from what I know and have been told in confidence.

------------------
    Wait, there is another...

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Welcome DOC!

I hope you don't mind, but I have a few questions:
    <OL>
    [*] If we move up to get Swift, is that for Chicago's pick?
    [*] Is that Cato and our #9 or some other combination?
    [*] In other words, we wouldn't be able to get Swift and Miles or Miller out of this draft, could we?
    [*] Are you assuming we could get Miles at #9, or do we have to move up?
    [*] Do you know of any potential trades this summer, especially utilizing our exception?
    [*] Do you know if the Rockets are pursuing any type of deal with LAC for Kandi or Odom?
    [*] Is Williams staying for this next year?
    [*] Who is interested in Drew, Williams, Cato, or TMass, and what could we get for them?

[/list=a]Thanks...

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

3. Doc Rocket

If we move up to get Swift, is that for Chicago's pick?

Actually, things will be dictated by Washington and whether or not they get into the top three. My thinking is if Chicago can get 2 of the top 4 picks, they'll get Mihm and a guard and leave Swift and KMart for the taking - enter the trade with Cato. Remember this is MY interpretation of what I know thus far.

Is that Cato and our #9 or some other combination?

That would probably be the most likely. For some reason, people value Cato. They must have the 'We can change him' attitude which is GREAT for us.

In other words, we wouldn't be able to get Swift and Miles or Miller out of this draft, could we?

VERY unlikely!! I've not even heard that proposed however, picks are owed to us so you never know. However, I don't fell there's a chance to get a combo of those guys.

Are you assuming we could get Miles at #9, or do we have to move up?

Rox believe Miles will be there at 9 thus the low key approach if the trades don't work.

Do you know of any potential trades this summer, especially utilizing our exception?

From my understanding, the trade exception WILL be used this summer but I do not know any specifics with regards to sure fire deals.

Do you know if the Rockets are pursuing any type of deal with LAC for Kandi or Odom?

I've heard the rumors of Kandi floating around but MAKE NO MISTAKE - Odom will be a Clipper for the next 4 years. That comes from my guy at the Clips. He's not going anywhere!

Is Williams staying for this next year?

Walt Williams may get caught in the numbers game but the ass. coaches really like him and, as of now, are planning on him being here. There's virtually no talk of trading the Wizard.

Who is interested in Drew, Williams, Cato, or TMass, and what could we get for them?

Believe it or not, the Rox are thinking of keeping TMASS? Can you believe that? Cato is still hot in Detroit and Jerome Williams has fallen out of favor. Don't know what that means....

Drew is the leading candidate to go along with the $4.5 exception. Drew has never really fit in with the guys. He was THIS close to going last year but no deal. I do not know who was involved in the Drew negotiations, but I've heard Clips.

------------------

4. Doc Rocket

GEEZ!!!!!!!

I've go to learn to indent im my replies!! That was tough to re-read!!!

[​IMG]

------------------

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If the Rockets hadn't resigned Cato, how much interest would he generate as a free agent?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The Chicago Bulls showed alot of interest in Kelvin Cato, Houston got scared so they signed him.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

7. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Mango- heheh. He'd probably get a lot of interest, because he probably would have played his ass off and blocked 4 shots a game if he didn't get a contract. Oh, the irony.

Doc- God bless you, I'm so happy to have another inside info guy here. Just keep it coming, baby. And by the way, good job delineating what is "things you've heard" and what is purely your opinion. Keep that up, people on this board are really going to run with things.

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

DOC, you are so cool to answer all my questions. THANKS!

I have a few more, if you have the time...
    <OL>
    [*] What Free Agents, Sign and Trades, or other players are the Rockets interested in obtaining, and how would they do it?
    [*] If we could get Swift, that would be incredible, and would solve the PF position for our rebuilding, with KT to backup. But then I'd want to get a good SF. Is there any possibility of obtaining Rashard Lewis, or any other SF out there?
    [*] If we trade Cato, what are some of the scenarios the Rockets see for replacing Dream, especially once he leaves?
    [/list=a]

Thanks again, DOC!

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Doc-

I understand a lot of this is just opinion and speculation, taking what youve heard from people, adding your own ideas, etc ,etc, but man, this is just awesome stuff. The more the merrier, even if it is mostly opinion based!

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wouldn't it be something if we passed on a player like Rashard Lewis and ended up a guy like Miles falling into our laps!?! You think the Rockets can afford to make the same mistake twice in three years? I saw some highlights of this guy playing from when he was on the junior(?) US team. He was throwing down oops from all over the place like KG did for the Olympic qualifying team last summer. You all saw how good Mobley and Francis made Cato look last year, now think if they could throw lobs to Miles next year.......

------------------

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Whoa... heavy stuff. Guys and gals do not miss this post. Thanks for the info Doc... I like what you said about Odom and hopefully that will put that rumor to rest somewhat. I just don't see why the Clippers would deal him when he has 3 years remaining, is cheap and is a star. Knowing the Clips if he had one year remaining maybe.... but makes no sense now since what they want is cheap young talent. (actually I think they'll just settle for "cheap")

Anyhow Doc, hope you don't mind... I went in and bolded the questions you answered from Sherlock. That was some damn good stuff...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited May 19, 2000).]

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Clutch,

Why do popeye and Doc have such differing views on Walt's future as a Rocket?
    What is your view?

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

The Force runs strong with Doc Rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

14. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Doc,
    How do the Rockets compare Swift, Martin, and Fizer? Also is your post saying that the Rockets top two choices are Swift then Miles?

I personally like Swift and Miles wouldn't be bad at number 9 either.

------------------

15. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

Wow! Darius Miles at #9 and all these desperate NBA teams looking for a player "who IS 7' TALL" (quote from heypartner, take your pick which thread, everyday everyminute everywhere LOL).

This take on the misdirection of the Rox org leading interest away from Miles means to me that they fear he WON'T be available at #9. It could be that he is the real target of the draft this year. I've often thought that Cato's biggest asset (besides his infrequent but great defensive blocking) is his ability to finish with the dunk off of our guards' penetration. An athletic Miles would be even better--man! what an explosive offense that would be! only the legendary phi slamma jamma in college ball could compare

I wish I had seen more of Swift this last year to be able to compare him with Miles, now.

------------------
    screw Bud Adams

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

And the plot thickens!!

This has got to be one of the more exciting offseasons in recent memory!

I don't follow college basketball very much and only saw glimpses of Darius Miles...mostly being hyped up by Dickey V, is he really as athletic as I am hearing? Also, how tall is he?

I can see why the Rockets are not "working" on moving the Wizard. They had high hopes for him coming into last season and toward the end of the season started to get into the flow of the game and basically bonded with the way the team was playing. The only reason I believe the Wizard would be traded would be to free up salary. Like Doc said, the Wiz will probably be here next season.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited May 19, 2000).]

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Thanks MManal.

From your profile of Miles, my main concern would be that he isn't a good shooter. It's nice to have athletic guys on your team, but what the Rockets desperately need are some guys that can hit the mid-range jumper. If Darius can develop that part of his game...watch out NBA!!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

18. Prophet

Prophet Member

Swift, when drafted, is projected to play PF not SF. At least that what I have heard from some scouts.

19. BobbyWarren

BobbyWarren Member

Who else here scours the BBS not only looking for popeye's posts (I have done that for a while), but also now for Doc Rocket's posts.

I like what a lot of you have to say, but these two guys bring pure gold to these conversations!

------------------

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

for those who haven't seen darius miles play, i'll make it easy...

his idol is kevin garnett.

he plays like kg.
    he wears kg's #21.
    he even looks a little like kg.

and don't believe the reports about his "j" being suspect. the kid was popping 3s with ease in the mcdonald's hs all american game.

if we get a chance @ darius miles, you take it.

------------------
    The ultimate role player...
    Thomas "Tootsie Roll" Hamilton