1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Gotya. Feb 7th can’t come soon enough

D-rock likes this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No, he's not. He had a nice run and is a nice complementary player...but he's not the key to anything other than the difference between the 8th seed and the 4th seed. In this year's Western Conference, seeding isn't as important. Does anyone really consider Denver a championship contender?

3. biff17

biff17 Member

i can agree with that.

4. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't think he is the key to that either he was starting all of 2weeks because of injury.

would I like him back, yes.

do I think he could be a key rotational piece, yes

but I also think he is overpaying his hand, we will see.

34to11 and bulkatron like this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That’s one way to look at it.

And while they do have the same amount of wins as the rockets they also had more wins than the rockets when Lebron went down so they haven’t been good at all.

Not to mention the lakers had one of the softest schedule in the league to start the year with Lebron from here on out they have the 3rd hardest.

I like Lebron I have a painting of him in my house I’m not a Lebron hater but the fact is the lakers are not a good team. The two things they do bad are going to kill them done playoffs if their even in it. Freethrow and three point shooting. Their awful at both.

Kuzma is their 2nd best player the most reliable shooter outside of Lebron and he’s shooting 30% on threes.

They have some major problems that Lebron can’t fix.

And Lebron hasn’t been a game changer defensively for a few seasons now.

Guys in his 16th season with major mileage. He’s just as likely to get hurt again as he is to do what your saying he’s gonna do.

I just don’t see it.

Lebrons in the west. He’s gonna play a better team in the 1st round of the playoffs this year than any team he faced going thru the whole east last year I don’t think that’s really debatable.

Unless he somehow gets matched up against Portland first round I don’t see him getting out of the 1st round.

Lakers aren’t beating GS Houston in the playoffs if both teams are healthy and I’d be shocked if they could beat Denver. Maybe okc but I doubt but maybe.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lol and he wasn’t on one of the offers which was the 1st offer. It’s not contradicting unless he specifically said both offers were not guaranteed. In which case does not make sense at all

7. Nook

Nook Member

Curry didn’t even play in 2017-2018 and scored a 3 million dollar deal.

Curry came off averaging 6 points a game in half a season and got a 2 year deal for 6 million back in 2016-2017.

Payton deserves more than 3 million but was largely hurt because has no three point shot in a league where the 3 is incredible important for perimeter players.

There are no guarantees but House has a good shot to draw a $3,000,000 offer from someone because he defends, can hit 3’s and defend multiple spots.

8. shlhl

shlhl Member

I rather want to be 4th seed than 8th seed. You don't want to play golden state in the first round.

9. txn

txn Member

I hate Tilman being cheap and doesnt want to pay the tax to improve the team. But seriously, I really think House overlooked himself.
    Look through out the league, besides Bulls (they can easily find a good SF in next draft with their pick), I don't see he can easily get the starter job anywhere. Is he better than any of those guys?

Atlanta Hawks - Taurean Prince, Kent Bazemore, Vince Carter
    Boston Celtics - Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown
    Brooklyn Nets - Caris Levert, Treveon Graham, Joe Harris, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
    Charlotte Hornets - Miles Bridges, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Nicolas Batum

Chicago Bulls - Antonio Blakeney
    Cleveland Cavaliers - Rodney Hood, Cedi Osman
    Dallas Mavericks - Harrison Barnes, Luka Doncic, Wesley Matthews
    Denver Nuggets - Will Barton, Torrey Craig, Michael Porter Jr.
    Detroit Pistons - Reggie Bullock, Stanley Johnson
    Golden State Warriors - THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO KEEP HIM
    Indiana Pacers - Bojan Bogdanovic, Tyreke Evans, Doug McDermott
    LA Clippers - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tobias Harris, Luc Mbah a Moute, Mike Scott
    LA Lakers - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, Lebron James, Kyle Kuzma, Lance Stephenson
    Memphis Grizzlies - Kyle Anderson, Dillon Brooks, Justin Holliday, Garret Temple
    Miami Heat - Wayne Ellington, James Johnson, Tyler Johnson, Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow, Dion Waiters
    Milwaukee Bucks - Khris Middleton, Tony Snell
    Minnesota Timberwolves - Robert Covington, Josh Okogie, Andrew Wiggins
    New Orleans Pelicans - Solomon Hill, E-Twaun Moore, Elfrid Payton
    New York Knicks - Damyean Dotson, Tim Hardaway Jr., Kevin Knox, Courtney Lee
    Oklahoma City Thunder - Terrance Ferguson, Paul George, Andre Roberson
    Orlando Magic - Jonathan Isaac, Wes Iwundu, Terrence Ross, Jonathon Simmons
    Philadelphia 76ers - Jimmy Butler, Wilson Chandler
    Phoenix Suns - Josh Jackson, Kelly Oubre Jr., T.J. Warren
    Portland Trail Blazers - Maurice Harkless, Evan Turner
    Sacramento Kings - Ben McLemore, Iman Shumpert
    San Antonio Spurs - DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay
    Toronto Raptors - OG Anunoby, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, CJ Miles, Norman Powell
    Utah Jazz - Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, Dante Exum, Joe Ingles, Kyle Korver, Royce O'Neale, Thabo Sefolosha
    Washington Wizards - Trevor Ariza, Jeff Green, Sam Dekker, Otto Porter Jr.

Huncho Bean, cbs1507, topfive and 2 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

seth curry's first real nba contract was for 2 years at league minimum with sac. and it was less than 2 mil total for those 2 years. This was after spending 2 years in the g-league. he had to go through that first before getting what he got now

Blurr#7 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

If you really think he might be the difference between the 8th and 4th seed, you believe he will be the difference maker in several regular season games. If so, I would think we would want him for the playoffs.

12. Nook

Nook Member

As of two weeks ago the Rockets hoped to trade Chriss and his non guaranteed contract to another team for another player under longer control.

Deuce likes this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They could also TRADE House while he’s still on his two-way deal. Just saying.

IvanLCPM, KingCheetah, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  14. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Lakers could still make a move before the deadline

15. xaos

xaos Member

This whole post looks like a link to some player stats

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

WTF?

Chris is an expiring contract. Anyone looking for cap space next summer would be thrilled to sign him and only owe him half of this year's contract $.

Melo is also an expiring contract, and a vet min one at that. And there's no question that he could provide SOME kind of value to a team that doesn't play in a pace-and-space style (the Grizzlies, for example).

I think it's time to change your moniker to BigBong.

#1016 topfive, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    don grahamleone likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Technically, Chriss doesn't have a non-guaranteed contract. He's guaranteed for this season and has no contract at all for next, since the Rockets already declined to pick up that option. He's a UFA this summer (if not earlier).

Nook likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We fully understand. But there are other options. What do you mean by "cave"? There are at least two options of "caving."

1. Morey could convert him now and retain him as RFA and match any reasonable offer.
    2. Morey could offer more money using a part of the MLE to entice House to sign a longer contract.

heypartner has spelled out the various options. You need to read carefully before you think this is a simple case of the GM not caving for a player's desire to become free agent. (For that matter, House could still become RFA by refusing to sign any multi-year contract. So it's not just whether Morey would cave but also whether House would cave. If House doesn't cave, Morey has no other choice.)

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

As a GM of a contending team, Daryl Morey's job is to put the best team on the floor this season within the salary constraints provided by his boss. Losing a guy that earned his place in the rotation because you have a policy of not converting two-way contracts flies in the face of that goal.

Also, if the Rockets convert House, he will be a restricted free agent this offseason. That means the Rockets can match any offer he signs. Now, you might say, well, the Rockets probably want to offer Austin Rivers the entire MLE, leaving them a maximum of 2.1 million to sign House. That's not House's problem to solve, it's the Rockets. Plus, don't you think it's smarter to convert House and see how he performs the remainder of the season before offering him a multi-year, guaranteed contract? We are talking about a guy that has performed well in a 25-game sample size, after all.

Finally, in today's era of analytics and big data, other teams have enough tape on House from his 25-game sample as a Rocket to know he is an NBA-caliber player. The Rockets giving him a string of DNP's in the G-League out of spite won't change that.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

You are right I was thinking about Q Cook but Seth Curry averaged 12 points a while playing 70 games for the Mavericks before getting hurt that's far more than what House has done.

And Seth is only getting 2.75 million guranteed.

house only done that in 25 games don't you remember other players having not streaks from the 3like Josh Smith and Cory Brewer.

also he will not be getting wide open threes with every team.

There are a lot of other players who can do what he does that are not making 3million.

#1020 biff17, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019